PDA

View Full Version : Linux... Struggling with ethernet card

chiefnz
07-11-2003, 10:36 AM
Ok I have previously posted a similar topic but I just need to ask a few questions. I have a copy of Red Hat Linux 8, I have tried installing it multiple times on my PC. Now everything goes fine up until I try to "activate" my NIC (3COM 3C940Gbit PCI LAN controller). I have been through the manual heaps of times following instructions to the "T" but still no luck, when I get into the GUI my NIC isn't on the system, I can't connect to the LAN which means no internet, this is obviously frustrating.

Ok..... question time?

1) Can somebody help me please (I'm scared to turn the firewall rules off as it may compromise my other Windows PC's on the LAN) When the firewall rules come up during set-up is that where I activate my NIC. How do I do it properly.. so it works?

2) I wanna get Mandrake or SuSe Linux, tried downloading both from the "linuxiso.org" site but after like 10 minutes it tells me I need "AUTHORISATION" to keep downloading. Where can I buy 1 or both of these Linux distro's or a NZ site I can download it from.

3) I am really keen to use Linux, I started out with Red hat 7 & I thought it was great, can't find the dam CD's now though, I hear the support for Red Hat has been pulled and it's gone to IBM, called ALPHA RED HAT or something, so I'd would like maybe one of the other distro's.

Any comments Linux users have as to which one to get or how to fix my current problem would be most welcome.

thanks in advance

cheers
chiefnz

i suddenly feel a great affinity for penguins :)

chiefnz
07-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Sorry I forgot my system specs

Celeron 2.4Ghz
1GB DDR 400 SD RAM
Asus P4P8X motherboard
Asus V9520 Graphics Card (GeForce FX 5200 128MB)
3COM 3C940Gbit PCI LAN controller (Integrated into Mobo)
LAN access through CNet 8 port switch which connects to my
Nokia M1122 ADSL modem/router for internet access, using
Jetstream Starter.

bmason
07-11-2003, 12:11 PM
I can't really help with redhat b/c I don't run it, but since you are running a fairly recent system installing a later version may help if 8.0 lacks a driver for your NIC.

> 2) I wanna get Mandrake or SuSe Linux, tried

You can buy from a place like http://www.copyleft.co.nz

For downloads the distro website will have a list of mirrors where you can download from. For mandrake atleast the prefered method is now to use bittorrent rather than ftp: http://www.rpmfind.net/BitTorrent/

> 3) I am really keen to use Linux, I started out with
> Red hat 7 & I thought it was great, can't find the
> dam CD's now though, I hear the support for Red Hat
> has been pulled and it's gone to IBM, called ALPHA
> RED HAT or something, so I'd would like maybe one of
> the other distro's.

Things have improved a lot from RH7. I'm more of a mandrake person, tried RH but it didn't seem significantly better/different and I didn't find an eqivilant to URPMI to handle RPM dependencies.

Kame
07-11-2003, 12:25 PM
RH support is being pulled, but it hasn't gone to IBM called ALPHA RED HAT. RH continues with it's Enterprise Edition, Fedora and the Community continue with RH but under the name Fedora Project http://fedora.redhat.com.

Graham L
07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
I looks as if you are at the bleeding edge. That hardware is too new. :D

But all is not lost. Apparently, it is handled by the lastest version sof the sk98 driver. Unfortunately, that isn't included in either RH 8 or RH9 kernel. There's a patch available at a german site (http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/zip/) which patches the raw 2.4.20 or .21 kernel. But you probably won't want to compile the kernel. ;-)

If you don't need the full Gigabit speed, I'd be inclined to put in a PCI 10/100 board checking first with the Hardware-HOWTO to make sure it's handled. Most NICs are ... but it pays to check. Given a month or two, someone will have come out with a loadable module (except they might not ... for maximum speed, it probably needs to be compiled into the kernel . ;-))

I might have mistyped that link --- it happens --- if so, just enter "3com 940 linux" to google and you'll find it in the thread whose link is about the third one Google gives (at ww. linuxquestions.org).

You should have got suspicious when it seemed difficult ... this isn't "the other OS" ... NICs and netrorking are things which Linux understands.

chiefnz
07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll go for Mandrake or SuSe, RH does seem a bit iffy at times, just spent the last hour or so going through it... and honestly it just doesn't gel with me, I'll give the others a try and see if I like them better.

Will keep you posted....

I will be a LINUX convert..... long live the penguin! :)

cheers
chiefnz

Graham L
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
I've had more problems with Mandrake. :D I've got two boxes using M9, which are very soon going to be running RH8 or 9. :D

ilikelinux
07-11-2003, 05:01 PM
cough cough redhat is gone out of buisiness ........... remember!

Gorela
07-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Hi Chief,

As you are in Auckland and mentioned that you don't mind buying a full distro you could go to Dr Floppy. They definitely stock SuSE and might even have 9.0 which is the latest SuSE release. They used to be at the top of Queens Street, but have moved about a block away. :)

I can't remember there new address, but if you check out their website (http://www.drfloppy.co.nz) it should be there. I think they are open on Saturdays, but it would pay to ring first!

SuSE is the only "commercial" release that updates and patches their distro for at least two years. Both Mandrake and RedHat were only doing this for about 6-12 months before stopping support.

HTH

PS SuSE has been bought by Novell and IBM have bought US$50million of stock in Novell. This gives IBM about a 2% stack in Novell.

mark.p
07-11-2003, 06:23 PM
> cough cough redhat is gone out of buisiness
> ........... remember!

They are not "out of business". More like a reshuffle/rename/merger.