PDA

View Full Version : OT: Free for a Holiday in May 2004??

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Copied from a Freedom Air Newsletter...but its a NZ public promotion so anyone who is clicking on time is lucky :)

Its our 8th birthday and to celebrate were giving away one million dollars worth of travel across the Tasman. Hows that for many happy returns!

No its not a joke. From midday (NZ time) Monday 10 November midday (NZ time) Tuesday 11 November 2003, 5,000 seats will be available free* only by booking through the Freedom Air website. *All you have to do is pay your taxes & insurance surcharges and well take care of the rest. (i add that it wouldnt even be much...but u have accomodation to think off..as freedom pays for flight which is nearly $199-299 one way so thats still a good saving)

5,000 seats are available on selected flights for travel between 08 May 2004 25 June 2004 and other conditions apply, see freedomair.com for details.

Seats are sure to go fast so to be in with a chance be ready bang on midday (NZ time) Monday 10 November for your Freedom Air Birthday present from us to you. It's first in first served, so get your mouse finger ready for a chance to book a flight.

I apologise that its another OT thread but thought some of you would love a australian holiday...

Cheers

PoWa
07-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Ok, I've bookmarked and set the alarm clock :D Thanks Chris!

Any idea if you can book like 5 tickets at once so I could take my family?

fergie
07-11-2003, 06:41 AM
Hi.
IS it just one way tickets?
Do you have a site with moe info?

stu140103
07-11-2003, 08:51 AM
> Do you have a site with moe info?

http://www.freedomair.com

csinclair83
07-11-2003, 09:02 AM
it says stay tuned for more ifnormation..
best choice is to ring freedomair and find out if its possible

Mike
07-11-2003, 09:26 AM
I don't want to ruin the whole thing for everybody, but the way I read that is that you book your flight during that 24 hour period, and you might just happen to be given your flight for free. Usually if you book a flight you have to pay some kind of deposit or booking fee, which is often non-refundable, so if you don't get your flight for free, then you either have to pay full price for it, or pay the cancellation and/or booking fee.

Be careful before you all go booking 10/20 flights to Aussie. You may want to check up with Freedom Air before you make a mistake.

Of course I could be way off :)

Mike.

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Sooo... Who's goin to Aus?

csinclair83
10-11-2003, 11:22 AM
it was only available to ppl who booked online and used creditcards...

csinclair83
10-11-2003, 11:24 AM
site must have crashed too as i cannot get onto it as well...

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 11:27 AM
Ive had a guy here in the Cafe who said he was going to Aus anyways at that time.. has just got in after trying for 20 mins ;-)

Its a shame I dont have a credit card and dont really wanna goto aus aye... :D

ntddevsys
10-11-2003, 09:13 PM
I read, that the Freedomair Severs have had Traffic Limted so they don't crash there so popular.

Air New Zealand really should get there subsidereis servers together

PoWa
10-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Dammit dammit dammit. I completely forgot. :( Even had full speed JetStream too onm y Jetstart conenction, so I woulda stood a better chance. argghhhhh!

Chilling_Silently
10-11-2003, 10:44 PM
I had a guy sitting in the cafe for 25ish mins before he got anything more than 404's.
He hit the button to submit and got a 404 :-(

This is on full-speed JetStream connecting at about 6900kbps downstream...!

csinclair83
11-11-2003, 12:52 AM
at 5pm today this was published on xtra.co.nz......

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A number of thrifty air travellers are finding they are unable to log on to a Freedom Air website offering discount one-way fares to Australia.

The deal came out just before rival airline Virgin Blue announced its latest plans to provide a New Zealand-Melbourne route.

Freedom Air acting General Manager Michael Young says the access to the site is being restricted so the airline's server will not crash.

He says the Internet users should keep visiting the web page, which is offering the deal until midday tomorrow.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

so get moving guys...i dont know if its the free tickets still but yea.....give it a go....

robo
11-11-2003, 05:24 AM
They are well gone now.
Not sure how anyone got on there. My wife tried a few times and didn't get close to getting on the site let alone booking.
robo.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
11-11-2003, 11:52 AM
I think there was something misleading in there....

Probably shut the servers down! It was only 1000 tickets at 4pm yesterday... by midnightish it was gone... WHAT the heck!

I doubt they gave out that much... all the staff probably snatched a 'couple' each!... and still.. that'll probably be under 5000.

What a lie!

-=JM=-
11-11-2003, 12:53 PM
Don't think it was a sham at all. I know quite a few people that managed to book tickets. Probably just a slight error of marketing not talking to IT.

Susan B
11-11-2003, 01:11 PM
This email was received from Freedom:

To Whom it may concern

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, we appreciate your
comments and feedback.

We realise you may have experienced some frustration in accessing our
site during our 8th Birthday promotion. The delays were caused by the
sheer number of people trying to access the site at the same time. It's
not everyday an airline offers to pay your fare across the Tasman, so
naturally demand was extremely high.

We prepared for this promotion by tripling our web server facilities,
increasing our internet load capacity by 1200% and increasing our
internet bandwidth. However, patience was definitely needed due to the
popularity of the promotion. Our IT team also worked hard to manage
internet loads to relieve pressure on the website so that it did not
crash altogether, which would have been a far worse outcome. Despite the
delays, people were still able to secure the 5,000 flights with the last
flight being booked at 2.40am this morning.

We really appreciate all the efforts that you made to participate in
this promotion. Your feedback is valuable to us and will contribute in
the designing of future internet campaigns.

Kind regards

csinclair83
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
1200% increase...thats surely a lot...
at least they now know they need to increase it by 5000 or more % next time ;) i know its mentioned as a 1 off promo but am sure its gonna happen again...anything for Public Relations...

am abit surprised it took a while to buy all those flights...put it down to sever lags...wonder how long it woul have taken if there was absoulte no server problems or rescritions...
5mins maybe?

-=JM=-
11-11-2003, 03:58 PM
A friend of mine came up with an interesting point last night.

in a month freedomair will launch a tv ad saying:
"with up to 2,000,000 visitors per day, freedomair.com is THE best way to book"

csinclair83
11-11-2003, 04:04 PM
2million a day.....hmmmm u sure u didnt add too many zeros?

i have to say freedomair is the best way to travel, no hassles and cheap and basic, nothing fancy....
just worries about getting u there on time and comfty, who cares about fancy flight seats and food, as its not the flight u want to have fun on, its at the destination you want to have fun at :D

ntddevsys
11-11-2003, 04:34 PM
I have to disagree with you
My Star Alliance | GOLD are far more benefital.

Even better now with Tasman Express

-=JM=-
11-11-2003, 04:55 PM
> 2million a day.....hmmmm u sure u didnt add too many zeros?

Well if you based "visitors" on the hits that the website got in a day. It would easily supercede that for the period of the free tickets. Lots of people were refreshing the page the whole day.

Baldy
12-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Bugger Aussie, when are they going to fly to the Netherlands?

Susan B
12-11-2003, 02:06 PM
> Bugger Aussie, when are they going to fly to the Netherlands?

Well, start a petition! ;-)

Mind you, you would need to take a suitcase with you on the plane to hold all the food and drink you require to last the distance. Bang goes your total luggage allowance just for that! :D

Baldy
12-11-2003, 07:43 PM
> > Bugger Aussie, when are they going to fly to the
> Netherlands?
>
> Well, start a petition! ;-)
>
> Mind you, you would need to take a suitcase with you
> on the plane to hold all the food and drink you
> require to last the distance. Bang goes your total
> luggage allowance just for that! :D

I donlt eat Susan, I live on coffee and ciggies, and the ocassional pep pill when I get tired

PoWa
12-11-2003, 08:00 PM
What happens when your luggage exceeds the maximum amount... do they make you ditch it, or do they just charge you a little extra??

ntddevsys
12-11-2003, 08:11 PM
Naturally they charge extra

I've got my way around it

Business Class and Star Alliance | GOLD
50Kg Checked Baggage Allowance
2 x 7kg Carry on Bags