PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - need help finding special type of plug

somebody
06-11-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm trying to look for the type of plugs normally used for headsets on PRS radios (eg. Uniden 042XR). Does anyone know if those type of plugs are available for purchase as parts in New Zealand, or if they exist at all?

Using a 2.5mm and 3.5mm plugs side by side do not work, as they are too big to fit.

Graham L
06-11-2003, 04:10 PM
If that's an actual 2.5 and a 3.5 mm plug in single unit, such things were used on some microphones for tape recorders (with a motor control switch). You might be able to find such a microphone and use a pair of sidecutters. :D

somebody
06-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks Graham. The problem is that I need about 5 or so, which might prove difficult to find. I wonder if a 2.5 and 3.5mm plug mounted side by side, and by grinding sides off the plugs would make it fit?

Graham L
06-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I nearly suggested that. :D You will find that the metal parts of the plugs are self-supporting (the whole thing is held together by rivetting over the end of the innermost connector) so you might be able to pot them in epoxy after fitting the cables(using a polythene jig to hold the plugs at the proper spacing). That's if filing makes the plastic body disintegrate beyond repair. :D

Graham L
06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
I nearly suggested that. :D You will find that the metal parts of the plugs are self-supporting (the whole thing is held together by rivetting over the end of the innermost connector) so you might be able to pot them in epoxy after fitting the cables(using a polythene jig to hold the plugs at the proper spacing). That's if filing makes the plastic body disintegrate beyond repair. :D

somebody
07-11-2003, 06:54 AM
Thanks Graham. A friend has now told me that he's managed to fit a 2.5 and 3.5mm plug side by side in his RT with no problem.... I guess it might have been the particular plugs which I got last time, or the brand/model of the radio.