PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Hard Drive

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I have a 30gig hard drive..
2gig approx is hidden for recovery purposes..
and I want to split the available partition into a 22gig and a 6 gig partition for my downloads/documents...

and i dont want to reformat my system either...

is that possible? if yes...how? is it free?

Cheers :)

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 01:53 PM
forgot to mention..
i got winxp home :)

Graham L
06-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Yes it's possible. But I don't think that any MS partitioners will do it non-destructively. :D I know that FDISK is destructive.

Have a look for parted or ranish --- both free. Read their documentation. :D The commercial Partition Magic will do it.

But any partitioning is risky. Howver good the software, the people who use it aren't infallible. ;-) Foolproof software isn't, because "humans" are a very high class of fool. So when the software asks: "Are you sure?", pause and think. B-)

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 02:03 PM
i've got partition magic..
and when i create the size of my new partition the "hidden" dissapears therefor i exit and dont create coz it makes me think is it deleting my hidden partition or just not on the list of partitions thats going to be there after creating...

Rod J
06-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Hi,

I have Partition Magic too and find it very reliable. Does PM see the hidden partition? If it does, I doubt it would erase it. You need to resize the current active partition and then create a new partition in the now unallocated space.

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 03:15 PM
yeah it shows a pink bar and a small grey one which is the hidden partition.
then i click on pink to resize it and wanted it to be 22gig and a 6gig..
then after i did that it didnt show the small grey bar as it was gone..
so thought that meant if i repartitioned it would delete that grey bar meaning the hidden partition was gone.

can i do a screenshot of doing PM? before and after?...without creating of course but just up to the creation bit...

Graham L
06-11-2003, 04:15 PM
I don't use PM, but I'd suspect it if it doesn't show the hidden partition after setting up to resize the other. ;-) I'm glad to see that you don't trust it either, and have not told it to continue of the basis that "Nothing can go wrong". :D

What does it show if you "unhide" the hidden partition. You ought to be able to rehide it afterwards ... "What could go wrong?" ]:)

Megaman
06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
> I know that FDISK is destructive.

so do i. fdisk killed my win 95 :( . i think u could make a logical drive and if anything goes wrong u can use system restore or the recovery partition.

Baldy
06-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Having a seperate partition for your downloads isn't the bee all and end all.

Why don't you just make things simple and have a seperate folder for your downloads etc.

You may find that there is more than a 50/50 chance that you will loose everything if you try to add another partition

csinclair83
06-11-2003, 04:59 PM
thats what i do now...i have a folder for all my downloads inside my documents...
i thought it would faster up the pprocess of some programs, and more space to install games or something....

but if the best thing to do is just have anoter folder for downloads and one for my documents and be more organised...then that is what i'd do :)

thanks guys for ur help on this anyway....and i honestly dont think i'd have gone ahead with any of your ideas anyway as my confidence in doing those things on computers, ie: bios/partitioning/registry is very low...if i had another computer to fiddle or "break" or anything then i'm sure i'd have no problems...but yeah :)

Hoosier Daddy
06-11-2003, 05:39 PM
There's good point to the organisational advantages of partitioning. I find that Partition Magic works fine (version 8 for XP, 7 messes with it), it's quick, controllable, adjustable and understandable.

The best reason for partitioning that I know of is to set a small partition solely for your pagefile. Set your pagefile to a fixed size (1.5 x RAM) on this partition and you'll notice a substantial paerformance improvement. (I have 1GB RAM, so 2GB partition with pagefile set at 1.5GB).

Then, to keep it "out of sight out of mind", I tell Windoze to hide the drive letter.

PoWa
06-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Ok, so how do you hide the drive letter, or hide the partition but still allow access?