PDA

View Full Version : Networking and Broadband

Anthony
05-11-2003, 07:12 PM
I have a laptop networked to a desktop via crossover cable, the laptop runs XP and the Desktop runs Win98se. I have been using this configuration with my shared internet connection without any problem, but have just connected an ADSL modem router to the desktop and got broadband.
My problem is that the laptop will not connect to the broadband router through the desktop?
The desktop is connected and working with the broadband OK, the Laptop will connect directly to the ADSL modem OK, but not through the desktop.
Any suggestions to solve this problem would be appreciated.

ilikelinux
05-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Router?

stu140103
05-11-2003, 07:21 PM
are you using ICS???

wotz
05-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Come on guys, give him some useful replies.

How does your modem/router connect to the desktop? Usually it will be USB or network card. How many ports does your router have? There could be a spare port to connect the laptop into, instead of connecting it to the desktop.

Terry Porritt
05-11-2003, 07:56 PM
If the router/modem has only one LAN port, you could get a hub or preferably a switch with several ports, connect the modem to the switch and then connect the switch to the desktop and the laptop through separate cat5 leads.

Anthony
05-11-2003, 08:10 PM
The router is connected via USB, and the router also has a LAN port. I am connected from the laptop to the Router via the LAN port at the moment, but that means that I cannot use the printers and other information that I have on the desktop as I have to unplug the network cable to do this.

Anthony
05-11-2003, 08:11 PM
this was going to be my last resort, trying to save money as always!

chiefnz
05-11-2003, 08:58 PM
ummm yeah my initial suggestion would be to just run the laptop throught the lan port on the router, all you needa do then is share the printers and any other resources. If you really want to go via the the desktop PC, make sure you note down the IP address of the desktop, now if your using DHCP via the router that mite be a bit hard cos the IP might change which would mean your laptop will possible be looking for an IP address that's not being used. The key in this case is to make sure that the default gateway address (your desktop's ip addrss) either remains the same or when you log in with your laptop change the gateways address to that of the desktop's IP, but as i said efore your best choice would be use the LAN port on the router.

Do u know if you're using DHCP on your router? this may prove to help us assist you more.

Hope i didn't confuse you too much

cheers
chiefnz

Chilling_Silently
06-11-2003, 06:48 AM
Might I suggest that for the time being you get yourself a free Windows Proxy server, and run that on the 98 Desktop?

I cant remember where I saw it, but apparently you can make Win98 bind two MAC addresses together like XP's "Bridge networks" function. I might have a google for it, but for now will suggest you get a free proxy. Somebody else here will suggest a good one for you.. I would suggest Squid, but your not running the same OS as me ;-)

Anthony
06-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info.
Having checked the router settings it would appear that DHCP is being used .
Looks like I might be best to buy a network hub and connect through that!

roben
06-11-2003, 09:02 AM
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Try this works fine and easy to set up