PDA

View Full Version : PC World CD links don't work

Susan B
04-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Oh dear. Have just discovered a few whoopsies in the links on the latest (November) PC World CD. :O

None of the links under Best Software, 50 Fixes, Featured Software and a couple of other places work in either Firebird or Opera. Internet Explorer opens them fine of course, since it is not so fussy about correct code.

All that are missing are a couple of periods in the link code so that the browser knows to go back to the parent folder to find the files. Without them Firebird and Opera (and probably Mozilla) are a bit lost.

Just thought some may like to know in case they thought their CD was defective. Well, it is sort of, but you can always grab the installation files from within Windows Explorer like I normally do. :-)

Or use Internet Explorer. :-(

agent
04-11-2003, 09:25 PM
I discovered that when I was browsing it in Linux. I came out thinking it was a Linux problem, but apparently not ;)

cyberchuck
05-11-2003, 06:03 AM
The problem with it in Linux is that when links are addressed as "/topic/proggyname" that it looks for "/topic/proggyname" off the root directory when instead it should be pointing to /mnt/[cdromdrive]/topic/proggyname...
Where as IE reads them seperate from the location/domain so it'd be refering to the /topic/proggyname directory of D: or www.mysite.com

As for Link's not working, I only got them with this months PCW (although I haven't tried all of them with linux) and it's only limited to "The Best software I'm not using" and "50 Fixes for PC Annoyances" under the 'Featured Software' menu thing.. I can get to it from hitting 'Best software' from the menu and from a link on the main page.

CyberChuck

TonyF
05-11-2003, 07:58 AM
>
> All that are missing are a couple of periods in the
> link code so that the browser knows to go back to the
> parent folder to find the files.
Maybe PCW got some Email about this, but you can be sure it will be fixed in the next disk ( which I hope will contain the latest fixed Java version...)
Cheers Tony

Biggles
05-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Thanks for this folks - no, no one actually emailed us about this problem. Still, silly of us not to check the links on another browser. Unfortunately we've just sent off the Dec/Jan CD for replication but we'll make sure we get it right for February. Apologies for the inconveniance.

Graham L
05-11-2003, 01:17 PM
The links work perfectly. It's just that they might point at places which don't exist. :D

For those who don't know the "dots" Susan mentioned ... every directory has two entries which you may have never noticed: "." and ".." . "." is the current directory. ".." is the next one up.

If you are in /dir1/dir2/dir3 of a CD, then in Microsoft talk "/dir1/fileindir1.htm" can be found because the first "/" refers to the root of the current disk, the CD. But in *nix talk, it can't, because that slash refers to the root of the whole system. But "../../fileindir1.htm" can be found, whatever OS you talk, because it is specified relative to the current directory.