PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

Poppa John
04-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Evening All. Does anybody have a site address for Sygate Personal Firewall , the free one? Have tried Google but got a runaround!!! Thanks PJ

godfather
04-11-2003, 08:22 PM
You mean this one? (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm)

Google works well...

Poppa John
04-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Yes Goddie that was the one thanks. Google only works as well as the inputter of question types.!!!!!!:8}
Have downloaded Sygate & will have a look at it tomorrow. As you may remember, Maryann & I are networked & have not been able to get a firewall to permit her easy access to the Internet. Have tried various ones to no avail. Did have Sygate on "my" computer when I lived in Auckland & was OK. However they started to want money so I dumped them in favour of the XP Internal Firewall. Now a Question. I am on Xtra who have Virus protection & soon to have Spam protection, Will this make a firewall unneccesary?? PJ :D

BootyLicious
04-11-2003, 09:14 PM
That is one big NO! you will always need a good firewall.

Jim B
04-11-2003, 09:25 PM
Xtra will only be protecting your email.

Many people do not have a firewall and never have any problems.
It is more important to keep your antivirus updated and to have all the latest Windows updates and patches installed.

Poppa John
04-11-2003, 09:50 PM
O.K...see what you mean, BootLiscious and Jim B...just checked Xtra's letter regarding new service re spam, sent 26.9.03. It's in regards to emails...and so will still need Firewall and various other updates with AVG, etc. P.J

Rod ger
04-11-2003, 10:00 PM
I use Agnitum's Outpost(free version). It uses few resources and just does the job, no fancy flashing lights or popups. It just takes a little of common sense to set it up. Ad blocking too, plus DNS cach for quicker load of frequently used sites.