PDA

View Full Version : ripping CD to digital format - niggling problem

agent
04-11-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm having a little bit of an issue with extracting one of my audio CDs to MP3 format on my computer.

Basically, you've got a ~78 minute long CD. Every track is mixed into the next, ie (a) recorded in Disc-at-Once mode; and (b) you don't want any gaps between the MP3s when playing back.

Here arises an issue... generally, I extract my CDs into Wave format using Grip in Linux. I transfer these to a FAT32 partition, boot into Windows, and encode them using LAME in an ABR (min 64, max 256) MP3 format.

However, with CDs such as the one I'm trying to do at the moment, it appears that ripping into Wave format does not work entirely correctly. When playing back in Wave format or MP3, once the end of the song is reached, it keeps playing for about two seconds, then continues onto the next song after a slight pause (slight, but too noticeable to justify keeping the ripped songs).

I have also tried ripping using several programs in Windows, and the same problem occurs - so I can only come to the conclusion that it arises from the Wave format step.

However, when I rip using Windows Media Player into WMA format (curse Microsoft for restricting you to that format in their latest versions), the songs play back correctly. I tried converting from WMA format to MP3, but the problem between the songs cropped back up, and I'm assuming it converted to Wave between WMA and MP3.

Is there a program that will rip directly into MP3 format, and avoid this problem for me? Or am I plagued by a problem I won't be able to fix...

Chilling_Silently
04-11-2003, 08:15 PM
You can use mencode that comes as part of the MPlayer program in Linux if you wanna give that a shot, and encode using the LAME MP3 encoder?

tweak\'e
04-11-2003, 08:24 PM
don't most linux come with paranoia??

for winblows you can use cdex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/)

is the cd just one track or many?? if its just one track you will need to split them up with an editing tool.

Chilling_Silently
04-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Redhat should do.. IIRC, Grip uses paranoia, and is a sorta front-end for it!

agent
04-11-2003, 08:34 PM
Yes, it comes with paranoia... but I use Grip, which uses paranoia :D

The CD is 21 tracks, not one long one - but there is absolutely no gap between the tracks, or else the effect of the mixing would be ruined.

Like I said, I think the problem stems from the Wave format, so no matter which program or OS I use, a conversion that uses Wave format along the way won't work...

Lohsing
04-11-2003, 08:56 PM
I used to have exactly the same problem when using CDex, etc. In the end I had to use MusicMatch to be able to rip and encode to avoid the gaps.

Lo.

agent
04-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Oh great... I have a dislike for MusicMatch. :D

agent
06-11-2003, 06:09 PM
Okay, I should've tried this days ago, but the problem lies with Windows Media Player...

Winamp plays the songs perfectly, no gap between whatsoever... any clues as to why? Eventually I will be dumping WMP, but only when I find a video player I like as much and that has a good GUI/interface and same features, if not more... any suggestions would be kindly taken so I can dump this POS software sooner.