PDA

View Full Version : Spyware, Adware, P2P and Virus Fix Up

ntddevsys
04-11-2003, 04:05 PM
Hi,
I'm cleaning up a friends computer at the moment, which has suffered some pretty bad Treatment (Security Wise Anyway).

He has had it for about a year and uses Windows XP Home, No Windows Updates/Service Packs and hes connected to ADSL @ 7.2 Mbps with no firewall, and Norton Antivirus is 3 months out of date.

Ad-aware bought up almost 500 Spyware/Adware Programs,and that was after i deleted his Cookies.

He Uses Groxster quite alot, so before i can delete its spyware i need to know

1. If i remove Groxsters Spyware does it keep working ?
2. What Spyware does Groxster have in it ?
3. Where does Groxster keep its downloaded files and how do you specify which files to share ?

Are there any other P2P Programs around, that dont screw things up ?

Which one do people out there recommend.

If i remove and reinstall Norton Systemworks 2003 OEM, does it give you back the Updating **We don't trust Credit Card Numbers with this computer yet**

Any Ideas

ilikelinux
04-11-2003, 05:03 PM
kazaa lite or kazaa(then install kazaa diet)
4 the p2p

Susan B
04-11-2003, 05:20 PM
> Ad-aware bought up almost 500 Spyware/Adware Programs,and that was after i deleted his Cookies.

Good grief!! :O

> 1. If i remove Groxsters Spyware does it keep working ?
Who cares? He is better off without it due to all the spyware in it. Uninstall and remove the whole lot.

> 2. What Spyware does Groxster have in it ?
All sorts of stuff. Have a look here (http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/spyware/) for a definition of spyware.

> 3. Where does Groxster keep its downloaded files and how do you specify which files to share ?
Pass.

> Are there any other P2P Programs around, that dont screw things up ?
Yes, have a look here (http://www.spywareinfo.com/articles/p2p/).

> Which one do people out there recommend.
WinMX (http://www.winmx.com/) and Kazaa Lite K++ (you will have to do a search for that one - make sure it is the Lite version).

> If i remove and reinstall Norton Systemworks 2003 OEM, does it give you back the Updating **We don't trust Credit Card Numbers with this computer yet**
I don't think it will, I think you will have to start from scratch if you remove ALL the components and run a registry cleaner afterwards, but I could be wrong. Others will advise.

tweak\'e
04-11-2003, 06:06 PM
simply uninstall all spyware and run grokster and see if it complains. there is a fake cydoor.dll advailable which may get it going.

>If i remove and reinstall Norton Systemworks 2003 OEM, does it give you back the Updating

mayby. as i just found out the hard way, the old uninstall, clean out and reinstall trick no longer works. SOME 2003 and all (as far as i know) 2004 have a new protection to stop that from happening.

supergran
04-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Dont' think the uninstall and reinstall for Nortons works, but you don't have to use a credit card online, there is a New Zealand 0800 phone number you can use, and give them your credit card number.