PDA

View Full Version : AOC 19inch Flat

Kenshin
04-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi, I am going to get a CRT 19inch monitor soon. Just wandering is the AOC 19 inch Flat any good at all?? In terms of color and details?

How does it compare with the Philips 109P?? Obviously the Philips one would be better, but is it that much better that it's worth pay over 300 dollars more for??

I ll mainly be using my monitor for gaming as well as work... but I don't need it for CAD.

Chemical Ali
04-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Yowl

I've got the Philips 109P and I'm telling you now just buy the AOC (or Viewsonic -- think its about the same price) -- you won't notice any difference.
The Philips is not noticeably better than a lower priced AOC or Viewsonic.

The Student
04-11-2003, 06:48 PM
> Hi, I am going to get a CRT 19inch monitor soon.
> Just wandering is the AOC 19 inch Flat any good at
> all?? In terms of color and details?
> How does it compare with the Philips 109P??
> Obviously the Philips one would be better, but is it
> that much better that it's worth pay over 300
> dollars more for??
>
> I ll mainly be using my monitor for gaming as well as
> work... but I don't need it for CAD.

Hi,

In my opinion, In comparisim with the colours and detail, the Viewsonic monitor is better than that of the AOC.

I know of this because, I have a 17" Viewsonic and a 19" klr AOC Flat (CRT) monitor.

Personally I still like the Viewsonic becuase the colours are nice and crisp, and clear, yet sometimes can be too dark, but can be easily fixed using the brightness. In contrast to this, the AOC, colours are not so dark as they should be, but I say too light and the clarity is not as sharp and detailed as it should be....

When you are playing game scene set in darkness (like for example, a hard shoot-out game against an enemy in the night), is a lot more visible to see the characters when playing even in the lightest room in the house.....

The only really good thing(s) I have liked so far about the AOC, is the size of the screen, and that it does reduce the amount of glare and strain levels on ones eyes..

Like all things your gotta have good and bad points. The bad points so far were, (setting up the size of the screen) such as the: Pincushion, Trapezoid, Pin Balance, Parallelogram.

If you add too much zoom, then you may have to use either one of the above or set your alignment correct. But if you want to increase or decrease, its hard to create a straight and perfect edge. For example, the Programs Menu, or Toolbar or even scroll bars as well....

Unfortunately, I haven't the time or paitence to have a perfect straight edge as I would like. There is a somewhat bend in the shape, but my guess is that its probably as good as it gets....

The base is not as strong as I would of expected for such a large device. It seems though that the manufacturer went cheap on their bases for these monitors, as it can shake constantly if (in my case) am required to move my PC computer desk out of the way, if I need to connect my scanner at the back. Sometimes can be a worring experience, that what if, it or when will this Monitor will fall over.......

Overall, I still think for the size and cost that may suit within the $280 - $300 dollar range, I am still a sattisfied customer....

Hope that gives some insight about AOC monitors.

Cheers

The Student
04-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Oh yeah too.... (in my experience) I have found that customer support enquires are very instant and are been very good too...

Kenshin
04-11-2003, 07:24 PM
Cheers for the input guys!

Just one more thing, does any of you know the refresh rate of the AOC at 1280 x 1024??

The Student
04-11-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi,

ah.. 85hz.

Can do more if the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is unchecked

-=JM=-
04-11-2003, 07:51 PM
If you can afford the Philips get it.

forrest44
04-11-2003, 08:01 PM
In the november 2002 edition of the PCworld magazine they had this 19" monitor roundup of 20 19" things.

They rated the picture quality from 90 to 60, 90 being best and 60 being the bottom of the test. There was an AOC flatscreen that picked up a score of 65 or so (cant quite remeber), a Viewsonic E95 (or something, curved screen) got a score af around 83 or so, an LG 900B (curved screen) picked up a score of 89, and a sony G420 flatscreen trinitron got 90. I picked up the LG 900B for about $480 (pricespy helped, about $420 now I think), while the sony is still selling for around $950 or so.

I haven't had another 19" to compare the LG with, but I will say theres nothing wrong with it.

Cheers
Forrest44.

DangerousDave
05-11-2003, 08:03 AM
hiya,
I have a 19" AOC Flat and I LOVE it, i find it great, the 85hz refresh rate at 1280x1024 is great for my eyes. Although the colours arn't perfect it doesn't really worry me as I use it mainly for coding and the odd game which it is great for. I may not recommend it for heaps of imaging editing but hey it is GREAT for my needs... and for like $300 you can't beat it... hell i'm even considering getting another one and setting up duel monitors.

- David

kiwibeat
05-11-2003, 03:50 PM
i am running a 21" Diamondview monitor myself takes up lots of desk space and is very heavy to move but great for games and surfing