PDA

View Full Version : Where do I find a replacement for a virus damaged file?

oggy
03-11-2003, 09:46 PM
OK. McAfee joyfully told me that I have a virus named 'StartPage.W'. It affects IE in a minor way. Said it couldn't clean the affected file and that it would have to be deleted and replaced. The file belongs in c:windows\system and is named tapicfg.exe. Where do I find the replacement file? Had a look on the Windows SE disk but couldn't find it as an individual file.
Anyone know what'll happen if I just delete the file and not replace it. (I seldom use IE but don't want to pass the virus on.)

BootyLicious
03-11-2003, 09:58 PM
delete the file to your recycle bin and if you have any problems you can restore it, if everything works ok the delete it from your recycle bin.

i think you can do this in 98se

bmason
03-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Goto start->run. Enter "sfc.exe" to start system file checker. There should be an option to restore a file from the windows CD.

beama
03-11-2003, 10:40 PM
I dont think its a system file I just did a search on google for it and there is a lot of information on this. Rather than me posting what I think is the information that you need, I suggest you do a search on google and choose the solution you think is best for you

kiwibeat
04-11-2003, 01:11 AM
that file isnt in my 98SE

ilikelinux
04-11-2003, 07:24 AM
have you run sby-bot lately, this sounds like spyware hiding in thw system folder!

beama
04-11-2003, 08:19 AM
this trojin is a homepage hijacker, thus the name startpage there is a lot info that can be obtained on it thru google

oggy
06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Yeah, was a spyware thing. The latest version of CW Shredder (1.31 I think) dealt with it in very short time. Cheers