PDA

View Full Version : ftp on RHat9

45South
02-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi
Installed vsftpd on my server & by default the ftp/pub folder has been created in /var.
I would have thought it should have been created in /var/www/html/?
I could not access the folder using login/passwds I had created so I edited the vsftpd.conf to allow anonymous login.
I can now access the ftp/pub folder but as I say shouldn't it be in the html folder?

Thanks

Chilling_Silently
02-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Only if that is the users home directory.

Try logging in as your own user and see where you login.

Try then creating a user and setting them up to login at /dev/null

You can have endless fun!

Graham L
03-11-2003, 02:31 PM
FTP is a protocol and it has a server. HTTP is a protocol and has a server. They are different animals. Their files are kept in different areas. :D There's a good reason for this: security. The idea is to wall off anonymous FTP users from the rest of the system.

In earlier RH versions , FTP's home directory root was /home/ftp/. If you have got users loggng in with passwords, their ftp transfers should be to/from their home directories. Only "anonymous" transfers should go to var/ftp/pub/ .

I'm pretty sure Apache allows users to have their "own" web sites under their own /home/a_user/html directory, and one daemon will respond to requests for pages under www.blah.where.ever/~a_user/ . Do you want multiple users working on one web site? Could be messy. :D

Kame
03-11-2003, 02:40 PM
If you're creating a webserver, where you can upload/update pages etc via FTP then you would configure the ftp server to where you are suggesting it should go, don't allow anonymous users for this.

What FTP Client did you use to connect to the FTP server? I'd suggest not using a browser but a proper client.