PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Networking - Is it a good move?

Prophet
02-11-2003, 04:39 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm already networked for several months with both PCs using a 20metre crossover.

At the moment, I have got this cable taped to the carpet, as I was thinking in the near future, to get a switch and finally drill a hole under neath so I can run this cable under the house.

With the costs for tools, such as protection boots, crimp plugs, etc.., the cost tends to be slightly high - including the crimping tool.

I came across the DSE brochure with a Wireless 802.11b 11mbps PCI card and would be interested on what move should I take or invest.

Would it be wise for me to drop everything and go Wireless and save myself the hassle in buying tools and installation? Or should I go and do what I had intended to do in the first place, knowing that it may be costly or reasonably within the same price range as buying a wireless card?

Do you still need a switch in the end if you go wireless? (Sorry if its a stupid question, but am a newbie, with some skills in networking, but not THAT much)

Thanks - hope it makes sense.

Pcs - using Windows 2000

godfather
02-11-2003, 05:19 PM
I have a wired network, and have added wireless.
If I was starting again, I would just go wireless only.
Its a tedious task running cables, not to mention getting them correctly terminated.

You need to consider what you will end up with.
It sounds like you are intending to put in a point-to-point, or ad-hoc network.

In that case you will only be able to connect the 2 PCs.
You must check that the cards you will buy support ad-hoc networking. Most, but not all do.

I fitted a wireless air-point, that connects to my wired network and will allow multiple connections to wireless cards. It acts as a hub effectively.

If your cards support ad-hoc, and in the future you wanted more connections, just buy an airpoint then.

agent
02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
In my opinion, 802.11g is the best wireless standard, because of it's greater speed and ability to inter-operate with 802.11b and 802.11a equipment.

mikebartnz
02-11-2003, 10:51 PM
If security has anything to do with it a wired network is far more secure than a wireless one.

Prophet
04-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi again,

Sorry I lost touch with any responses. But thanks for your feedback.

I might need to do some research and find out what "ad-hoc" is all about.

Cheers

godfather
04-11-2003, 10:34 AM
ad-hoc is where its a card - to - card interface, and not a Wireless Access Point to card.

Ad hoc is the wireless equivalent to a crossover cable network connecting 2 PCs without a hub.

Prophet
04-11-2003, 05:09 PM
> ad-hoc is where its a card - to - card interface, and
> not a Wireless Access Point to card.
>
> Ad hoc is the wireless equivalent to a crossover
> cable network connecting 2 PCs without a hub.

Oh, I see! I get you now.......

Thanks Godfather