PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Off Topic: Quality of QMB's service????

somebody
02-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I've had a look at QMB's prices, and they seem very good (I'm wanting to buy a new computer). Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them, especially regarding warranty returns, RTB warranty claims, after-sales service etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Jester
02-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Hi there

I purchased components from QMB two weeks ago. I ordered online, emailed them, and paid a deposit by bank transfer. I don't live in Auckland and said to them I would like to collect the components and pay the balance later that week. I rung them the day before and they confirmed the order. They knew I was basically going to rush in, collect and leave.

I found their shop fairly easily and two very obliging guys, Paul and Johnny welcomed me once I introduced myself. There were a few others in the shop at the same time and it was a little chaotic, but they got all my components together pretty quickly. I had to change a few items that were not in stock (HDD and CDRW) but these were of comparable price and I was happy with the brands.

I assembled the components the next day and had a query about the freq of the processor. I emailed QMB and received a reply from Johnny on what settings to use.

It's early days for me as to the quality and/or backup service but I am happy with the service and prices I received.

J
:D

Kenshin
02-11-2003, 03:59 PM
Hey man, I am planning to get most of my parts for my up and coming comp from QMB too.... They seem to have very good prices : )

BTW, wat's ur specs?? ; )

somebody
02-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks Jester. There have been a couple of positive posts like yours about QMB's service, but I as I don't live near Auckland, if something goes wrong I can't go down to their shop and personally complain - so I wanted some extra opinions.

Has anyone had any experience especially with warranty/aftersales service with QMB?

Blue_face
03-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Bad....I had a friend who have brought a motherboard from QMB 2 months ago, which the onboard soundcard was faulty. took it back on the same day and they refuese to check it without paying some service fees, and they accurse my friend that they messed up some configurations. (Yeah right! my friend assemble dozens of pcs b4). Then later during the day my friend took the whole computer in the shop for then to check, they refused again.

My friend was being really polite and gave them 2 options, either fully refund the money or give him a better motherboard and he'll pay the difference.... They refused and just carried my friends pc and pushed him out of the shop.

After some arugment and threaten them with the consumer right act, they finally gave his money back and tell them not to come to their shop again.

Now I think this is the most @%&! service I ever seen in my life.

Also, another thing is, they dont let you see the product until you pay your money in full.

mikebartnz
03-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Good reason to stay away but who are QBM. The one I would recommend is ARCHE.

somebody
03-11-2003, 07:49 AM
Thanks Blue_face. Did your friend buy his whole computer from QMB?

somebody
03-11-2003, 07:49 AM
thanks mikebartnz. I'll have a look.

Kame
03-11-2003, 11:02 AM
I really can't recommend any of the wholesalers I use to deal with, although some were better than others, I still came across problems with them that took days to solve when it should have been settled on that day.

If you are interested in service then you'll find that some people had excellent service some people didn't, this is what you should expect from any company.

If it's price, then why not do you homework, go down to your local computer wholesaler, or email them, contact them somehow and get them to match or better the price, saves you buying from someone who's too far away to deal with.

somebody
03-11-2003, 05:14 PM
fair enough. I'll contact some local stores and see what they say.

dana.c
03-11-2003, 05:47 PM
I had a couple bad experiences. Once I phoned them re a monitor - they said they got it. Went there half hour later- they said none & actually tried to sell me the next one up. Another time, went there & waited for the only non-Asian guy to serve me (he was the only one around). He was on the phone. When finished, he walked right past me & served 2 guys just walked in! Now I know he can't be racist, because he works for Asians & I'm Asian & I have been there many times & chatted to the guy, but this time didn't want to know. Now I go to their supplier for parts!
I also have seen a few posts re their service. Take care.

Blue_face
05-11-2003, 11:03 AM
No..He didnt. Just brought a motherboard from that place.

In my opinion Qmb isint a friendly place. just like the last time I went in to get a adsl modem, I asked them if I can have a look at it before I decide. They refused unless I pay in full first.

If that is their policy then I blame them, but because that what they done it gave me a really bad image of their service. On top of that what had happened to my friend, I would never return that shop.

Service is the most important thing in my book. I dont mind paying for a extra dollar.

Kame
05-11-2003, 01:00 PM
I've been talking to a friend that if service was good, then sales would be good. Does that sound right?

I mean, if we provided the best service, got a reputation out of it, we'd be better off?

Or...

If we provided the lowest priced items, got a reputation out of that, we'd be better off?

Somehow we have to levy between both and provide both, but how do you work it out, I really believe that people look at price first, and when they get burnt that's when they look to service.

I look at this like The Warehouse, now they have low prices, but a lot of their stuff is cr@p, especially the plastic items and possibly others, but people keep coming back, even if they've been burnt, so what is causing this?

somebody
05-11-2003, 04:13 PM
My primiary concern is about quality of after-sales warranty service. I had purchased a computer from a store which had very very good service (when they were trying to sell it to me), but 6 months later when my computer stopped working, their service was useless. I just don't want it to happen to me again. I would prefer to purchase from a local company (in Hawkes Bay) as that enables me to go down to their store and complain in person if something goes wrong, however price is also important as I'm not the richest guy in the world.

mikebartnz
06-11-2003, 12:18 AM
It is called ignoranace.
I have dealt with one place for years and not only have their products generally been trouble free they have not been the cheapest but the price premium has been worth it ten fold. They are also still in business unlike the PC Company.
Being lowest priced all the time means you have to cut costs in other areas if another area is cheap.

somebody
06-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Yes. Well every shopper wants to get a bargain, and when you can get the best of both worlds (good prices and good service) that's even better.

Blue_face
06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
I admit that the stuff in warehouse is crap, but they are always happy to give you refund. But in my friends case, my friend have to argue to get his refund back. This is a big difference.