PDA

View Full Version : IPCop, Mandrake and Networking

rmcb
02-11-2003, 01:26 PM
I have a home network consisting of 1 x p133 running IPCop, this is connected to a network switch, from the switch I have 2 other pcīs, both running Mandrake 9.1.
This is working well apart from the fact that I canīt seem to ĻseeĻ the 2 Mandrake machines to share files etc.
I have been able to share printers however so the network is working.
Any ideas on software I may have to install or settings I may have missed??
Thanks

Graham L
02-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Unless you have appropriate servers running on both machines, there isn't really any concept of "shared" files/directories. You can be on one machine and log into the other (using telnet or SSH).

NFS is the traditional *nix way to share directories ... it enables you to mount a directory (or directory tree) on a mount point in a remote machine's file sytstem This can be totally transparent (wiith automounting). This uses the /etc/exports file and need the nfsd daemon running, and some entries made in /etc/fstab. It works nicely once it's set up. I often use it to share a CD drive as well as hard disks.

Samba would probably work perfectly well (in a more Microsoft styled mechanism :D).

rmcb
02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Ok thanks, will check if samba is installed and try again.

rmcb
03-11-2003, 04:10 PM
Samba installed on both machines, what now?
How do I browse the other machine???

Graham L
03-11-2003, 04:45 PM
Good question. :D I haven't done this, but I think you just setup with the samba.conf file (which may be in /etc or /etc/samba ?) the directories you want to share. Make a mount point on each machine for the other machine's shared directory (ies) (mkdir /other (say) ). Then you can mount -t smbfs otherbox://directory /other . Or something like that. :D man samba will help. :D Or maybe it's "smbmount".

Someone will know ... I have found NFS so easy that I've never done it with Samba.

rmcb
03-11-2003, 05:02 PM
What is NFS??

Chilling_Silently
03-11-2003, 05:11 PM
NFS is the Linux native network share file-system.

mount -t smbfs will call upon smbmount, and the man pages (Mine did when I last looked) recommend using mount -t smbfs rather than smbmount :-)

Graham L
03-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Network File System. Developed by Sun, and became a Unix standard.

There'll be a HOWTO in the /usr/share/doc/HOWTO ... tree about it.

Hedre's the Samba way: I've found a book. If you have made a ,ount point called "/other"as I said above, and your other machine is called "otherbox" , with a shared directory called "myshare", the mount command would be mount -t smbfs //other/myshare

Graham L
03-11-2003, 05:20 PM
P.S. -- I hit Post rather than Go Back/Edit ;-)

... to test the Samba setup on the other machine use "/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient -L otherbox ".

You might need swat running to use the GUI Samba setup.

Chilling_Silently
03-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I would recommend you get the RH9 rpm's for samba 3, as Ive found smbmount works a lot better :-)

Also, I'd recommend downloading WebMin, coz it does smbmounts well too :-)

rmcb
04-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys
I have Mandrake 9.2 coming soon so I may just wait untill I install that.
Cheers