PDA

View Full Version : modem dials on startup ( and shutdown !)

TonyF
27-10-2003, 09:17 AM
98SE. Modem has commenced dialing on startup in the last couple of days. No prog starts up with it. Have read the relevant threads and checked various things. No startup progs seem to be dialling. Adaware current and clean. Modem also starts to dial on Shut down.....
Ideas anyone ?

Murray P
27-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Windows Update maybe. What settings do you have in IE or OE with regards Properties > Connection?

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
27-10-2003, 02:46 PM
> Windows Update maybe.
No, Murray. By dint of lengthy taking thing out of Startup, found it was NAV 2000. But not the Live Update bit. Whenever I tried to change one of the option in NAV, dialup started.Shutting down NAV also produced dialup. Uninstalled and reinstalled, and same thing. It must have an obscure Registry entry. Stilll stuck.
T

tommy
27-10-2003, 03:29 PM
I would suggest that you uninstall NAV once more and then use a registry cleaner such as RegClean to clear out the remains in the registry. Also do a search for other Norton and Symantec files and folders on your computer, including those that may be in the temporary files folders. Once that has been done reinstall NAV.

TonyF
27-10-2003, 03:52 PM
> I would suggest that you uninstall NAV once more and
> then use a registry cleaner such as RegClean to clear
> out the remains in the registry.
Thanks Tommy, but I may have found the answer. Went to Symantec and found refs to this problem. Cure was to go to IE , and in the advanced settings uncheck " Check for publishers security ...) under Security. I don't use IE and have no idea how this one got checked. If it flares up again I will do as you suggest.

Cheers Tony