PDA

View Full Version : Sec Updates and unable to connect to Internet

Oxie
24-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Hi everyone

We have just returned from 3 weeks away. We have several computers networked, router and Jetstream. After Norton updated its definitions my husband and I downloaded and installed the four new Windows Security Updates on two of the computers (KB828035, KB825119, KB823182 and KB824141). After restarting his computer (running XP Home) he found he can no longer connect to the internet. My computer (running XP Pro) is all fine.

He tried turning the router off and on, system restore to before the updates - but unfortunately it still will not connect. Have these updates done this before? Can anyone advise what to try next?

Many thanks

Oxie (Lyn)

pompeymike
24-10-2003, 11:11 PM
You are not alone, there is a big issue with microsoft security updates affecting internet access. You are more likely to experience this problem if you're using third-party firewall software instead of the built in one. If you've already tried rolling back to a previous restore point and it still doesn't work I'd suggest having a look at the microsoft knowledge base for ideas. Microsoft have got a bad name for releasing patches without testing them thoroughly so in future I'd suggest waiting a few days before installing the latest updates - they seem to break more than they fix.

stu140103
25-10-2003, 09:58 AM
> they seem to break more than they fix.

Not all of them break, only a few....

pompeymike
25-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Ok stu :-) I'll rephrase that - they FIX more than they break - the trouble is when they break something it quite often has a devastating effect. I work for a large company and the microsoft security update released last week took out all of our vpn connections and practically ground us to a halt - what do microsoft have to say about it ? they said they'll look into it, but having done a search on the internet I found that thousands of people all over the world had the same problem. It's not the first time that we've had problems with their updates - but my rule of thumb now is to wait a few days before installing them - let the rest of the world test them first.

Oxie
25-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks for your comments so far. I guess one never knows when these updates are going to cause havoc. I was not affected at all, and looking more closely to my husband's computer he has also lost all his networking, printing capabilities and internet access. He is not a happy chappy.

Oxie (Lyn)