PDA

View Full Version : Built in Firewall

Ladybug
24-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi - We have Windows XP home and at the moment Nortons Firewall but this is about to expire.

I know there is a built in firewall for my machine but I want to know how effective this is and is it just as good using this as anything else, also is this anything special I need to do if I use it - like the updates etc????

Please give me your comments.

Thanks Bug :)

Jen C
24-10-2003, 03:41 PM
XP's built in firewall only works one way - it doesn't monitor traffic leaving your computer. Having a firewall that works both ways, is a good way to keep a check on what is dialing out of your PC and it is an early warning that you have nasties (worms/trojans etc) onboard as they get nabbed when trying to gain internet access.

Free firewalls that you might want to consider instead include Agnitum Outpost, ZoneAlarm and Keiro (although not as easy to setup as the others).

BootyLicious
24-10-2003, 03:41 PM
Are you talking about window XP firewall, if so i give it a 1 out of 10. Thats 1 for trying.:p

i give noton firewall 8 out of 10 becaue i have the new mcafee firewall plus witch i like best.:D

Ladybug
25-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Ok thanks for your replys. I think Zonealarm may be the way I go. Just wondering how long can you use these free versions for and updates do they happen automactically or do you have to check manually?

Also can I have the windows xp one on at the same time as the free one??

Pheonix
25-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Zone Alarm has been free for 2 years that I have had it. It doesn't do networking too well but their pay version does, so they get their $ that way I guess.
Not recommended running 2 "software" firewalls at the same time. There is the possibilty that they may conflict and allow something past, or stop working.
There are also "hardware" firewalls which the software is "flashed" into a chip, so can't be changed in normal running. You can use the hardware firewalls with "software" firewalls at the same time. Only problem is , these hardware firewalls are so damned expensive and used for commercial purposes.
Hope this helps in your understanding.

Jen C
25-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Hi Ladybug

I am not sure how ZoneAlarm notifies users on available updates - someone who uses this program can help there.

Regarding the Outpost Firewall and the XP compatibility comment you mentioned last night, this is only if you are running ICS (Internet connection sharing) on XP. Do you have two PC's networked and sharing the one internet connection via a gateway? If not, then Outpost (http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpost1.html) will run on XP:
Outpost System Requirements
- Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP

I used to use Outpost and liked its built in pop-up ad blocking function.

stu140103
25-10-2003, 01:26 PM
> Not recommended running 2 "software" firewalls at the
> same time. There is the possibilty that they may
> conflict and allow something past, or stop working.

But it can be done successfully :)

Murray P
25-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Outpost is good but I like Kerio (http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html) better now. It will have a pop up stopper in the new version out in November. Go to the downloads section if you want it.

Cheers Murray P

stu140103
25-10-2003, 01:29 PM
> I am not sure how ZoneAlarm notifies users on
> available updates - someone who uses this program can
> help there.

I think it pop ups (I cannot remember, I need to check) & lets you know there is an update, or you can check as well :)

ugh1
25-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Norton firewall does not expire, only the update service, which you could live without as it is only the intruder signatures, trusted web sites etc. that are updated and they can all be edited manualy if needed.

In fact many of them only serve as "informational" and issue security alerts to let you know that it has blocked an attempt, which it will do without the need to alert you anyway.

In fact I have removed all the intruder detection rules which has increased the through put of the firewall.

Ladybug
26-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Umm decisions. So if that is the case that Nortons Firewall never expires, can I disable it and try one of the others and if I dont like them enable or do I have to uninstall completely????

stu140103
26-10-2003, 08:03 PM
> Umm decisions.
:D, they are never easy :D

> So if that is the case that Nortons
> Firewall never expires, can I disable it and try one
> of the others and if I dont like them enable or do I
> have to uninstall completely????

It is better if you uninstall the first one before you try another one, just in case you have problem then you can rule out the first one, which could cause a problem.

Ladybug
29-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Oh so D-day is here and I just want to double check that I have to completely unistall Nortons before I get another firewall rather than just disable and I dont have a disk to install it again if I want to Keep Nortons Firewall seem it never expires. This was installed on our machine by the computer company when we got it.

Jen C
29-10-2003, 07:05 AM
If you weren't provided with an installation CD for Norton Firewall, it might be included on your Recovery Disk. You could always take a look with Windows Explorer.

However, I would tend to leave Norton Firewall installed but disabled for the time being and if it doesn't cause any problems (it shouldn't), then you don't have to worry about finding the program to reinstall it if you change your mind about ZoneAlarm.

If you open up Norton Firewall, you should see under options, a box for starting the program at Startup - change that to manual. Reboot your machine and then make sure the icon has disappeared from the systray (beside the clock) and also check under Task Manager (right click on space on taskbar, and select Task Manager, then Applications) to make sure it is not listed as an running application. Then you can install ZoneAlarm.

Jim B
29-10-2003, 07:06 AM
Why make work and possible problems for yourself, you have a good firewall already, is there any point in changing.

Ladybug
29-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks JenC for you reply - nice and easy and clear to understand!!

Jim B - our firewall subscription expires today.

Thanks to the others for your replys also.

Greg S
29-10-2003, 04:41 PM
I'd just leave Norton disabled for the time being, and install Kerio, and keep the built in XP firewall disabled

beetle
30-10-2003, 05:12 PM
it seems i posted in the wrong thread...... so ive copied and pasted as i dont know how to link it.... and LB told me i put it in wrong thread.....

Sorry people who have read it already,
i get the feeling from LB things are still a little confused on the firewall front, and if someone can enlighten us on the pros and cons of this or other products may help her / us
i dont think it is as cut and dried as it should be, and she may still be interested in using other prog's as a test run, to find out what she likes best.

i have used zonealarm and its good,
but have not used nortons at all.
so am not much help to her.

but LB finds it a bit scary when talking about configuring these firewalls to your requirements.
so if someone could walk her through a bit im sure we would all apprciate the help. and advice we could use also later.

its a case of one size does not fit all..... and the less to do on some makes it easier for noobs like us...

thanxs
apologies LB for butting into thread.
but im interested as well.

as have none running apart from xp since format, and am unsure how much i need to add before i do some more damage to this machine...

so to be as clear as mud...... we need more input on them a bit deeper maybe?
such as what they do or not?

beetle

Elephant
30-10-2003, 06:39 PM
I have used Kerio ( free ) since I went to a Broadband connection.

Prior to that I was using Norton.

Both have worked for me as I haven't had any nasties.

I use WinXP Pro and have never used that as my primary firewall.

beetle
30-10-2003, 08:50 PM
ok LB has gone for a trial run of zonealarm and cannot configure it, so is being cut off from the world apparently.

she has had something like 270 alerts and does not know what any are for,
is there any good sight or link she may be able to get the gist a bit more???

as it was a while ago i had it and have forgotten what half the alerts are talking about.

any help appreciated at this time.

she seems not to gain any net access, zonealarm blocking everything incoming and outgoing, and she is sinking in information overload.... and lack of knowledge being a noob like me....

please be patient and gentle in these stressful times...

beetle

stu140103
30-10-2003, 09:17 PM
If any one can help LB( I am chatting to her at the moment) getting IE to connect to the net come over to chat F1( http://www.chatf1.net.nz) & I will relay your suggestion to her :)

tweak\'e
30-10-2003, 09:22 PM
ZA is proberly the easiest one to use, you can't get much simplier than 'yes or no' ;-)

as far as the alerts go .....who cares! turn the alert notifaction OFF.

the only think that catchs most people out is to tick "remember this answer".

beetle
30-10-2003, 09:27 PM
but it seems to be not saying that to her...
and it is just keeps alerting the hell out of her.....

she's not doing well and it seems we are not helping her much either....

beetle

tweak\'e
30-10-2003, 09:32 PM
i wouldn't mind betting shes having trouble seperateing the program alerts and the intrusion alerts. check the alert & log tab and turn alerts off. then she can go from their and take her time reading the program alerts.

Fire-and-Ice
30-10-2003, 09:35 PM
> she seems not to gain any net access, zonealarm blocking everything
> incoming and outgoing,

But Stu says that he is chatting to her. ;-) :-)

beetle
30-10-2003, 09:58 PM
and talking to me but not consistantly she says she gets cut off, otherwise how would i know?

and she doesnt know alerts from access like tweak'e said.

she has spat the dummy at it and shut it down.

and apart from messenger nothing is gaining net access.
and im sure when time and help has been given things will get clearer.
its blocking all pages she tries to open,
and that means she has no pf1 access to ask anything.....
and our communication is erratic ....from my end it seems to be also.

beetle

stu140103
30-10-2003, 10:04 PM
> she has spat the dummy at it and shut it down.

And she is going to do a system restore (I think) & reinstall ZA after that & tomorrow I am going to help her get IE and the rest to work :),hopefully

So if any one has any ideas, you are welcome to post them & we will try them tomorrow.

Jen C
30-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Ladybug would of found that Norton Personal Firewall would of automatically configured internet access for trusted programs so she might not of had to deal with the sudden rush of programs/alerts demanding access. This means she might of inadvertantly denied access to IE and other such programs. I am not familiar with ZA so if someone could give her instructions on how to check the logs to see what has been blocked so far and how to change permissions.

beetle
30-10-2003, 10:18 PM
no stu she uninstalled it.
and will look at reinstalling it again later when better prepared.

beetle

stu140103
30-10-2003, 10:30 PM
> no stu she uninstalled it.
> and will look at reinstalling it again later when
> better prepared.

Ah, thanks beetle :), I was only going by what she said to me.

beetle
30-10-2003, 10:34 PM
yeah well i think the stress levels were a little high....

beetle

Ladybug
31-10-2003, 03:11 AM
Here I am!!!!

I got ZA downloaded fine. I got it installed fine!!! x 2 and uninstalled x 2 .

Yes I got a tad bit lost with all the alerts etc. I could get yahoo messanger working but when I went to look at a page it came up page cannot be displayed and thats all pages.

One of the alerts was Generic Host Process for Win32 to accept connections from the internet??? No idea what this is.

Another The firewall has blocked internet access to your computer ICMP Echo request (ping) from 210 55 151 254.

another spooler subsystem app?????

and another transparent proxy server and another couple yahoo autoupdater is trying to access internet and

yahoo messanger wants to act as server.

well Im totally lost with these - im sorry

Jen C - I got the Nortons disabled the way you told me no probs - thanks for that, but at the mo I have put it back on until I learn more about ZA.

Thanks to Beetle and Stu too for being there!

tweak\'e
31-10-2003, 08:28 AM
>ne of the alerts was Generic Host Process for Win32 to accept connections from the internet???

block it. it needs to access the net but NOT ACCEPT connections from the net (ie put X in server box)

>he firewall has blocked internet access to your computer ICMP Echo request (ping) from 210 55 151 254.

ignore

>spooler subsystem app

not 100% sure what exactly causes this but block it anyway. havn't seen any problems caused by blocking it. all i can think of is printer drivers trying to phonehome.

> transparent proxy server

not sure. if in doubt block it, otherwise post the filename the alert mentions.

>yahoo autoupdater is trying to access internet

allow, just yahoo messanger checking for updates.

>yahoo messanger wants to act as server

allow, most messaging programs require to act as a server (ie accept connections/messages from the net)