PDA

View Full Version : Partitions

Jester
24-10-2003, 01:22 PM
As some of you may be aware I was looking at putting together a new system, well I took the plunge and bought all the components.

All bits and pieces put together last night, and yes it boots!

Will be installing XP Pro O/S on it tonight, and have a question on partitions.

The HDD is 80 Gig. I heard that it is preferable to have a separate swap file at the start of the drive, the O/S on another partition, and maybe programs/documents/music etc on another.

I also understand that fat32 doesnt like more than 32gb per partition, and that you can have up to four partitions under windows? I would like to have fat32 to preserve accessibility with my otyher win 98 system.

Should I look at:

1 gig swap file
9 gig windows
30 gig programs
40 gig documents/files/music etc

Thanks in advance

J
:D

bmason
24-10-2003, 01:52 PM
> The HDD is 80 Gig. I heard that it is preferable to
> have a separate swap file at the start of the drive,
> the O/S on another partition, and maybe
> programs/documents/music etc on another.

A separate swap partition is a waste of time IMO. I have never seen any proof that it improves performance.

Trying to separate windows and your programmes doesn't really work. You programmes will all be very much tied to windows (registry etc) so you don't gain anything.

Keeping your data on a separate partition is a good idea though. If you need to reinstall the OS you can just wipe the OS partition leaving the data partition untouched.

> I also understand that fat32 doesnt like more than
> 32gb per partition, and that you can have up to four
> partitions under windows? I would like to have fat32
> to preserve accessibility with my otyher win 98
> system.

You will only need FAT if you are going to be dual booting with win98 on the same machine. And then only partitions that you really need access to would have to be FAT.

The filesystem you use doesn't affect sharing files over a network connection.

> Should I look at:

I would use 40 OS/programmes, 40 docs/data etc. Vary the split if you think one will need more space.

Lohsing
24-10-2003, 02:06 PM
I would personally use 10gig partition NTFS for OS, with balance for programs and general data.

Make an image of your 10gig partition and you're away laughing.

Cheers,

Lo.

Susan B
24-10-2003, 02:14 PM
> As some of you may be aware I was looking at putting together a new system, well I took the plunge and bought all the components.

> All bits and pieces put together last night, and yes it boots!

B-) :x :D

> The HDD is 80 Gig. I heard that it is preferable to have a separate swap file at the start of the drive, the O/S on another partition, and maybe programs/documents/music etc on another.

tweak'e did a FAQ on partitions (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30458) but left the Swap file partition for "another day" so that bit is no help to you. :p

Personally I have 10 gig for Windows and programs and there is still nearly 3 gig spare and the other three partitions are roughly just under 22 gig each with Data being on one, Ghost images on the second and my music files on the third. If I run out of room on one I can "borrow" some space from the Ghost partition but haven't had to so far. Or I could just delete some of my junk. :p :D

Note that I have a second hard drive with a copy of all the partitions' contents, apart from the C: drive, as a backup.

I initially thought it a good idea to have my programs on another partition separate from Windows (apart from Office, which needs to be on the same drive) but when I reformat I like to wipe out the programs as well as Windows to start again so there is no point in it for me.

Will you be dabbling in Linux sometime on the new machine? If so, leave some unallocated space (around 5 gig) for it. You never know.... ;-)

Have fun. :-)

Jester
24-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Thanks all for the comments, very much appreciated :)

I am sitting in the office at the moment, itching to get home and get started... just an hour and a half or so to go, yay.

bmason ...
>The filesystem you use doesn't affect sharing files over a network connection.
Cool, so I can take advantage of larger partitions and not be concerned about access to files by others on the network

Lo, thanks for the advice

Susan ... see, I didn't wuzz out, I put it all together myself, hope I attached the heatsink to the CPU properly ... the square patch on the AMD cpu looked like paper, wonder if I should take it off and use paste instead ... (will be watching CPU temperature closely). I put the Knoppix PC World CD in it last night to see whether that worked and it did, so maybe I will keep some space spare later for Linux.

J

Lohsing
24-10-2003, 03:38 PM
One last thing for file sharing over the network with XP Pro... I hate it... basicall you need to create users on your XP machine which have the user name and password the same as other people use to log into their machines.

Also, each machine has to have a password, and leaving a blank password on it means difficulties connecting... I had this problem with the XP pro machine able to see others on the network, but others couldn't access my files... all other machines running Win2K Pro.

Guest account was enabled, but ended up creating users with the same passwords and ID as their login info on their own machines.

Food for thought?! Best of luck.

Lo.

Jester
24-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Lo,

I currently have an XP Pro machine which is my main PC, and the other PC is win 98. They file share without any special users set up on the XP machine, you simply open explorer on the 98 PC and navigate to the networked/shared folders on the XP PC. I have read about people having issues and setting up guest accounts, users and having access to desktops but personally I have never had to do this. I simply set up a TCP IP network and it finds all the folders :)

The main PC was set with a static LAN ip of 192.168.1.1, the other just creates its own, generally 192.168.1.133

Proxy Plus does the ICS, I use VNC to remote desktop if I need to see what the kids are doing ;), and Kerio keeps the gremlins at bay.

I also had (till it died) a win 95 PC which was able to access the XP PC thru network neighbourhood.

When the new machine is up and running I will have 2 x XP plus the 98 one, and don't expect I will have to set up user accounts on them all, but we'll see I guess :|

J

PoWa
24-10-2003, 05:49 PM
>I initially thought it a good idea to have my programs on another partition separate from Windows (apart from Office, which needs to be on the same drive) but when I reformat I like to wipe out the programs as well as Windows to start again so there is no point in it for me.

Umm I have Office Xp Pro running off my separate Programs partition running fine (Its not installed to my windows partition). No problems here :D

> A separate swap partition is a waste of time IMO. I have never seen any proof that it improves performance.

Well you have to add a few performance counters for the pagefile, under Performance, in Administrative tools. Go run a few tests to see your proof. It also stop fragmentation of the swap file. If you have it on C, drive with windows you'll notice bits of the swap file are everywhere.

If you have the swap file on the first partition on the hard drive (quickest access time) then it is much faster than having it spread out down the disk. Also if you aren't running Photoshop with massive files or editing 1Gb+ video, or running large apps & games, then you won't see any performance increase with swapfile optimisations. Anyway, the latest craze out, is to get heaps of ram and have your swapfile put on that inside a ramdisk.

>Trying to separate windows and your programmes doesn't really work. You programmes will all be very much tied to windows (registry etc) so you don't gain anything.

Actually if you do have the programs on a separate partition, and you drive image just the C drive once everything is set up it is much better. If you install more software you just make another image. Advantage, the image is much smaller. Also with games etc, the userdata and savegames can be stored in the Program's folder itself. So if you format C drive then you lose all your savegames and settings, if you had all the programs installed to the windows drive.

Susan B
26-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey Jester, I meant to ask you the other day what "bits" did you get? Specs please, if I may have them. :-)

Jester
26-10-2003, 05:47 PM
> Hey Jester, I meant to ask you the other day what
> "bits" did you get? Specs please, if I may have them.
> :-)

well, it's all up and running, sweetly too, I must say :):)

Theses are the bits I purchased
Gigabyte Mobo 7N-400-L
AMD 2600+ CPU
512 DDR RAM
ti4200 8 x AGP Card
80 GB HDD - Samsung (really quiet)
52 24 52 CD RW (had a 8 / 12/ 48 or something before , this is so much faster!)
Case and two extra fans

The rest (mouse, fdd, keyboard monitor etc) I had already.

I'm a happy chappie now :D

Hey Susan, I downloaded Americas Army off Jetstream Games realm last night, went thru the training etc and then tried to play online ... looks like I need the version 1.9.0 (rather than 1.7.0 that was on the Jetstream FTP).

I remember that you used to play it ... and my old PC couldn't handle it. Before I download the 300 meg update, can you or anyone tell me if it's worth it? Does anyone play it now?

Cheers

J

Susan B
26-10-2003, 07:20 PM
LMAO :D

Good memory you have there, Jester. :-)

Sorry to disappoint you but I haven't actually played AA before - that was just a bit of BS fed to Radz and Liam to wind them up. :p :D

There are other people here who play AA though, Greg is one and nzStan another. Check out these threads for some AA discussions. :-)

Free Game - Americas Army 1.9 released (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=38113)

I got americas army again.. (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29122&start=0)

Fix for Americas Army 1.9 login/time-out problem (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39094&message=195629&q=america+army#195629)

Nice PC specs you have there, too, I bet that leaves you hanging on for dear life. ;-) :D

Radz seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth,
I wonder where he is these days?

PoWa
26-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Americas Army 1.9 is on Jetstreamgames FTP-2 so address is:
ftp2.jetstreamgames.co.nz (for your ftp download program).

Jester
26-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Thanks Susan and Powa. I wasnt aware of the jetstreamgames2 ftp :) all good now, I wandered aimlessly through some tunnels tonight (before being killed, repeatedly) on my first online AA game lol.

mikebartnz
27-10-2003, 01:54 AM
>I would like to have fat32 to preserve accessibility with my otyher win 98 system.

If you are talking here about networking your other PC it won't matter as to Fat32 - NTFS. NTFS is a far superior file system. What you can do is make your data partition fat32 but the others NTFS.

mikebartnz
27-10-2003, 01:58 AM
>A separate swap partition is a waste of time IMO. I have never seen any proof that it improves performance.

I have two HD with Win2000 and RH9. I have my swap Partition on different drives for each OS and it does make a big difference. Windows gets very fragmented when the swap file is on the same partition and controlled by Windows.

mikebartnz
27-10-2003, 02:07 AM
>Trying to separate windows and your programmes doesn't really work. You >programmes will all be very much tied to windows (registry etc) so you don't >gain anything.

Wrong again. You quite often have a few personal settings that can be retained when the program is on a different partition.
I have never had a problem in reguards of the registry, with having my programs on a different partition

mikebartnz
27-10-2003, 02:18 AM
I hope you don't rely too much on your Ghosted partitions to save your valuable data.
Over the years I have had great problems encouraging people to keep a backup off site. Actually I will rephrase that to say I have had great problems encouraging people to keep a backup!!!!
Set up a tape system for a firm about five years ago with incremental backups five days a week with a full one on Saturday and told them to keep them off site. Went back about five months later and found all the backups next to the PC and that they had not done one since I had left.

Susan B
27-10-2003, 08:33 AM
> I hope you don't rely too much on your Ghosted partitions to save your valuable data.

No way. The Ghosts on the other partitions are those I regularly make of my system so that I can return it to how it was if I have fiddled too much. :p

If they were lost it would be an inconvenience not a major heartache. The essential data, including a System Ghost, is backed up on CDs as well as on the second hard drive.

mikebartnz
27-10-2003, 11:40 PM
:) :D

Neil McC
29-10-2003, 06:52 AM
So if you have your programs on another partition,and you reload your OS,does that mean that the programs have to be reloaded as well?
Thanks.

The Student
29-10-2003, 08:24 AM
> So if you have your programs on another partition,and
> you reload your OS,does that mean that the programs
> have to be reloaded as well?
> Thanks.

Hi,

Most likely so.... It will require that these programs be registered, (in the Registry) otherwise your O.S., won't know that these programs actually exist.

While on the otherhand, if you have programs that do not require to be registered in the (Registry), you should have no problems.

tweak\'e
29-10-2003, 08:25 AM
yes and no. some programs you only need to make a shortcut to them and they will work. others a simply over the top reinstall and it will all work again without looseing data (exept for those that store large amounts of data in the registry). however those that intergrate with the OS it may not be possible to reinstall without first removing the leftovers.

Neil McC
29-10-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks tweake and TS.So something like Firebird is OK but....so it's really try it and see!
:|