PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Website Access

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
23-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Hello all,

My brother has become highly addictive to some childish gaming sites. It has come to the point where we want to ban him from using the computers. But when we do, all sort of trouble start around the house.

I have tried blocking the website under IE's Tool>Content.... however, when it is enabled, the internet is slowed by at least 2 times, I think its 'cuz the computer scans the list of blocked site before opening.

So I'd like to know if theres a program out there that would allow me to block the site without slowing it down

I'm a new user of ZoneAlarm, so just finding my way around at the moment

Cheers,

Murray P
23-10-2003, 11:41 PM
Hi sy. ZA will do it. Haven't used it in a while but somewhere in settings you can block specific URL's and port. Sat port 80 for URL XXXX.XXXX.XXXX. being ww.xyzgames.com's url number.

Kerio is pretty good on that front as well and its free.

Cheers Murray P

mikebartnz
24-10-2003, 01:53 AM
Your best bet is to block it using the hosts file which under 95-98 is in the Windows directory but for some obscure reason is in the \Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory for 2000 XP. What the hell it has to do with drivers I will never know.
I have used the hosts file to block many sites after going through the history and deciding what kids don't need to view and they don't have a clue how it has happened.

mikebartnz
24-10-2003, 01:55 AM
I think that may be the full version as against the free one in regards of ZA.

cyberchuck
24-10-2003, 06:57 AM
The problem with the hosts file is that everyone who has access to C:\Windows (change where appropriate) can edit it to their needs and remove the entries for the blocked sites.
Unless you use different accounts for each user and restrict access to what your brother can access on the machine? But it might make installing some games locally a bit hard for him

Budda
24-10-2003, 09:22 AM
the hosts file is also good for blocking ads and pop-ups, you can actually get ready made host files for this purpose :)

Fire-and-Ice
24-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Not everyone knows what a Hosts file is though and if you don't tell them they will never find out. Unless they read this forum of course. ;-)