PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive

gord
23-10-2003, 08:47 PM
I have just installed a new hard drive on an old machine using fdisk. I did the format etc, loaded win98se and every thing went ok. I then transferred the drive to the machine for which it was intended and struck trouble. At the POST it was not recognized and the machine just hung there, what have I done wrong ....gord.

metla
23-10-2003, 08:49 PM
First thing to do is recheck all your cables are plugged in correctly.....and use the most modern one you have.

Rod J
23-10-2003, 09:23 PM
How big is the drive? Depending on the age of the machine you've put it in you might have trouble with it recognising the drive. You need to get into the BIOS and see if there is an option to 'auto detect' the drive. That would be the easiest way for the machine to recognise the drive.

Murray P
23-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Or a bios update may be required, depending on age. Look at the motherboard manufacturers site and see what updates have been issued as far as drivers and bios revisions, eg, IDE controllers.

Cheers Murray P

roofus
24-10-2003, 06:37 AM
When i was just a wee lad i use to get that problem all the time. On older machines its rather easy to stick the IDE cables into the HDD around the wrong way. try all the different combinations and have the computer set to auto detect.

Guys/girls would i be right in saying that the size of the hd won't make a difference to the computer posting? if its a 40G drive but the bios only handles 32G won't the bios just report 32G?

Scotty D
24-10-2003, 07:00 AM
Check the HDD jumpers, check the IDE cables, check the BIOS settings? - auto detect while in BIOS.

You don't intend on using the win98 u installed on th HDD for the troubled machine, I don't think that will work(assuming). U should do the format and clean install.

Rod J
24-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Roofus ...
What do I do if my system hangs on boot-up when a drive greater than 33.8 GBytes is attached? (http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/bioslimit_338.html)

It can happen! ;)

Graham L
24-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Have you ever wondered why there is an "Installer" for Windows?

It would be much simpler to just have a script to copy an image to a hard disk.

Unfortunately, this is the real world and life is not that simple.

It is a bad idea to install an OS on one machine and move the disk to another machine. At best it will work. More likely it will "nearly" work. Or "work" most of the time. Or in your case not at all.

There are too many things which can be different between BIOS/motherboard hardware/plugin cards/etc in different machines.

Format the disk and reinstall the OS.

rsnic
24-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Bios probably only supports up to 32Gb. Most 40Gb drives have a jumper that limits it to 32Gb and must be set for older motherboards otherwise it locks up exactly like yours.