PDA

View Full Version : Surround sound on TV

Andrew B
23-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Does any TV channel in NZ have surround sound?

Pheonix
23-10-2003, 03:26 PM
None that I am aware of, just stereo transmissions or mono.

-=JM=-
23-10-2003, 05:07 PM
The occasional item is broadcast in dolby, I think that Bathurst *might* be.

Graham L
23-10-2003, 05:11 PM
And they all have heavy compression for advertisements. :D

PoWa
23-10-2003, 05:19 PM
What about movies on Sky digital?

godfather
23-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Sky digital stereo fed into my Dolby Prologic Surround Sound stereo certainly works. Its "synthetic" surround sound but quite effective, normal TV stereo is not decoded as well though.

My TV has surround sound as well, (Nicam Stereo) Widescreen, and its OK, but not as good as Sky sound.

When a helicopter flies across the screen in a Sky movie, you duck as it flies across the room. Awesome, until SWMBO (wife) comes in and turns the sound down. You then get one of those "looks".

Its a long time since I tried surround sound at volume, come to think of it ...

stu140103
23-10-2003, 05:33 PM
> When a helicopter flies across the screen in a Sky
> movie, you duck as it flies across the room. Awesome,
> until SWMBO (wife) comes in and turns the sound down.
> You then get one of those "looks".

:D

Dolby Digital
23-10-2003, 05:41 PM
The main centers should be able to get NICAM stereo (usually your TV or video tuner will give an indication of a stereo signal - well the carrier is present at least - the program itself may not be stereo). I think TV1, 2 and 3 are all NICAM stereo. I have noticed some programs have a Surround logo on there somewhere. Apparently the new receivers with Pro Logic II make a good job of taking a stereo signal and "surrounding" it.

Finally with DVD, in most cases, the labelling has what type of sound tracks are contained on the disk.