PDA

View Full Version : Two tweaks needed, one for OE the other for Outlook Contacts

robo
23-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Item 1:
Anyone know how to change the default directory that Outlook Express opens when you want to attach a file? Does it have to be the same for all Windows apps?

Item 2:
I want Outlook Contacts to be filed like this:
Last name, first name, company

And it just won't got near doing that by default let alone the option being in the drop-down list, and it drives me nuts. Anyone got any suggestions or do I just live with it and redraft all my contacts (all 600 of them).

robo.

Fire-and-Ice
23-10-2003, 01:08 PM
Item 1:

What version of Windows? In Win XP OE opens the folder that was used the last time an attachment was requested. Dunno about other Windows versions. Don't know how to make a default either sorry but if you want to know about the default folder for saving attachments that's a different kettle of fish.

Murray P
23-10-2003, 01:19 PM
I'm fairl certain PowerDesk has a tweak for the default save and browse directories. Not sure if tweakUI will do but Xsetup will probably do. Sorry I can't be more specific but I haven't had any of them installed for a long time.

Can you export your contacts, import into OE, change in OE, which does it by the arrow tabs in the list, and fire back into Outlook. Have no idea if it will work tho.

Cheers Murray P

parry
23-10-2003, 01:35 PM
Hi Robo,

Problem 1: OE save as folder
Change the following data in the registry...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

Change the data in the Personal key to the folder you want.

Problem 2: Outlook sort order contacts
mmm see what you mean.You can change default order under Tools|Options|Preferences|Contact Options|Default File As order - change option to Last, First (Company).

Did this work for you? Even if it did, its just the default so the 600 existing are still out of order. I will have a look to see if I can write a VBA macro for you. Depends on if there are options for this.

hth
Parry

parry
23-10-2003, 01:56 PM
I have found somewhere where you should be able to change the sort order but buggered if I can get it to work yet. Im using Outlook 2002.

Under the menu View|Curent View|Customize View and View|Curent View|Define Views there looks to be options to change the sort order. Help wasnt living up to its name :-(

parry
23-10-2003, 02:05 PM
OK, think Ive sussed it now.

Under View|Current View|Customize Curent View lists the option Address Cards is where you see names and brief details and is probably the view you have. In this click on Modify|Sort then choose your criteria and click the Apply View button.

Now still under View|Current View|Customize Curent View select the Fields button and remove all fields on the right pane except for First Name, Last Name and Company Name.

This last part is the one that threw me as default there are heaps of fields here and they take precedence to the sort order (for some unknown MS reason).

Tell me if this worked 4 u.

Jim B
23-10-2003, 02:09 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319142

You need to restart Outlook after making the changes

parry
23-10-2003, 02:09 PM
PS I stuffed up the instructions but Im sure youll suss it. Under View|Current View|Customize Curent View there are Sort and Fields buttons - these are the ones to use.

I at first was trying View|Current View|Define View but I dont think that needs to be changed as well (although I did).

robo
23-10-2003, 05:14 PM
parry
I see what you are getting at, and it's a good idea. Or it would be if my data wasn't an utter mess.
Outlook seems to think that if you type Rob Clarke in the Full Name field, that means First Name Clarke, Last name Rob. So that has thrown half my data into god know where.

I think exporting into CSV, tidy and normalise in Excel, then re-import is the only way to go. Basically, everytime I notice someone in the wrong place, I edit them, but what drives me nuts is that I have to edit the file as field to get Last name, first name, Company (it just won't create that automatically, I need to change how it creates the file as info, and I think mostly because they expect the last name first in the full name field (why would anyone ever think to put the first name first? the mind boggles).

But thanks for this parry, and everyone else, sussed now.
robo.