View Full Version : HP Printer software

23-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Last week my printer died (an epson) and I bought a replacement (HP Deskjet 3550) which has a very good name...installed it and now when I boot up I get the message "no ISDN devices were found please instal an ISDN device and run the configuration Wizard again" I contacted the HP "help" line and never really got any satisfaction there ...have tried reinstalling the software and even tried installing via the new hardware program but that would'nt recognise either the printer or software.
I must say the printer works brilliantly it's just this message which is a nag ....I click OK and the message goes away and the printer works fine.
Running Windows 98 SE

Jim B
23-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Following from -

Start, run, type in msconfig and hit enter, then hit the startup tab. find the entry for cfgwiz32.exe and uncheck it, then restart.

On my machine cfgwiz32.exe was not listed in the msconfig startup list. I had to search all files to find one containing a reference to 'cfgwiz'. I found that servletg.exe contained such a reference and that executable was listed. I then removed the msconfig check box for this file and my annoying startup ISDN message disappeared.

Murray P
23-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Have you looked in Control Panel > System > Device Manager for any red X's or yellow exclamation marks, epecially next to network adaptors and USB devices. Do you use ISDN to connect to the internet? Also, try uninstalling the drivers and HP software and then re-install without your printer connected, plug your printer back in and load the new drivers from the loacation you installed them to.

Cheers Murray P

23-10-2003, 08:22 AM
There are several causes for this, and several solutions.

Try this first:
Open your control panel, choose Add/Remove Programs, and click the Windows Setup tab. Click the + next to communications and remove ISDN support.

Failing that, check your startup programs using msconfig, and see if cfgwiz.exe is being loaded. If so kill that process. Its possible its being called from another file however and may not be that easy.

Steve Askew
23-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Had a similar problem recently on a friends PC.
There was a shortcut in the START-PROGRAMS-STARTUP folder that was causing the problem.
Have you uninstalled the epson printer software in add/remove programs?
Uninstalling the epson software sorted it out for us.
Hope this works for you

Cheers Steve

23-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Also had a similar problem trying to remove Epson software in Win XP from the Add/Remove window. Ended up going into the Registry as follows
RUN | Regedit |HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rent Version\Uninstal found the unwanted Epson folder with files and removed it
Checked ADD/REMOVE, no Epson listed

24-10-2003, 08:05 AM
Hi Steve...I ran a search for Epson and found 9 files I didn't know were there, deleted them ,Uninstalled and reinstalled the software, did a reboot and the nag is gone....thanks to all for your help