PDA

View Full Version : DOS/WFW.3.11

Martina
22-10-2003, 08:54 PM
I am trying to run Encarta 96 in Dos.6.22 and WFW.3.11 but keep getting the message that Encarta needs 256 colors and the system is set to 16. The monitor is SVGA and the Hercules driver seems to be loaded ok. Encarta has been running on this setup prior to reloading Dos and WFW (so I',m told). Any ideas how to reset the colors to 256 please??

Thanks

M...

Jeff
22-10-2003, 09:26 PM
To change your display setting in WFW 3.11 -

Open Main Folder.
Click on Windows Setup.
Click on Options and select System Settings.

You should see where to change your display settings.

Jeff.

Terry Porritt
22-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Ah, the good old days.
You really need to say what video card you are using and how much memory it has. But lets assume you have something like a 486 with I/O cards and a fairly simple video card.

The display by default after installing Win3x will be VGA and 16 colours.
A 512KB memory card will give 256 colours, but a 1MB card is very much better and will give (from memory) 16,000 colours.

To get those colours and have some control over things you absolutely need the Win3x drivers and also any software for the card that may allow refresh rate changes. Not many of the earlier cards had much in the way of utilities for changing things.

If you go into the 'Main' window of Program Manager, double click on Windows Setup, Options, Change System Settings, it will probably say VGA.
If you click on the drop down box you will see a list of basic settings, none of which will probably apply to your card.

At the bottom of the list is "Other display, Requires disk from OEM"

So you need that driver/software disk, or get a basic driver from
http://www.driverguide.com

username is 'drivers', password is 'all'

If you stuff up the screen display so it is a jumble, then you cant use Windows to re-set the display. You have to boot into dos, and go to the prompt c:\windows, and type setup.

That window enable various settings to be changed from dos.

Martina
22-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys - just goes to show how instant recall works

M...

Jeff
23-10-2003, 10:40 PM
In my case it wasn't instant recall, I had to fire my old PC up to make sure I remembered correctly.

Yes, I still have a PC with Dos 6.22 and WFW 3.11 running on it.

Jeff.

Martina
24-10-2003, 11:15 AM
Jeff - you might just have let yourself in for a lot of Newbie questions on Dos.6.22 & WFW.3.11