PDA

View Full Version : Can't Boot into Linux Mandrake 9.1

Chemical Ali
22-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Just moved my motherboard/exapnsion cards/RAM/Hard drives/CD-Rom drives into a new case/PSU.
For some reason now I am unable to boot into Linux! Can still boot into Windows XP as good as gold. Boot loader listing the various bbot options still comes up correctly as well.
I'm running a dual boot machine with Mandrake 9.1 and Win XP.
It's a P4 1.6GHz with768 MB RAM and two 40GB hard drives plus a cd-rom and cd-writer.
The following error message is displaying when I try to boot into Linux:
"Can't find EXT3 Filesystem on Dev IDE 0 (3,6).Mount: Error 22 mounting EXT3 flags Kernel panic: no init found. Try passing it: option to kernel."
As I'm a linux virgin can anybody help!!

yang11
22-10-2003, 02:17 PM
like network card in pci slot 2, pci modem in slot3

have you changed anything in hard disk and cdroms configuration?

Chemical Ali
22-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Yep that's what I mean re:PCI slots.
No -- no changes in Hard drives or cd-rom drives.

Chilling_Silently
22-10-2003, 02:37 PM
I had that same error when I removed the /initrd folder from my RedHat system... Have you been removing folders as root before you last rebooted?

Dolby Digital
22-10-2003, 02:50 PM
Did you create an emergency boot disk when you loaded Mandrake onto your machine. If so try that.
If not.... Do you have Partition Magic or similar to check that the ext3 partition looks ok on the hard drive. Could the hard drive been damaged in the swap over.
The other thing to try is to boot from the Mandrake install cd and select the help option. I'm sure there is something there for this situation (I'm on my Windows pc).

bmason
22-10-2003, 04:20 PM
If you changed the ordering of any drives around then swap them back to their origional position on the cables.

Graham L
22-10-2003, 04:49 PM
It might be quickest to use the CD to "upgrade" to the same version. That should fix it without too much trouble.