PDA

View Full Version : Unrequested Callups

golliwog
22-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Problem of the PC regularly calling up the internet when computer is running. Problems occurs now and then when on line but when working generally on the computer without being connected to the internet, it calls up the internet about every 4 minutes.

I have Norton antivirus and firewalls activated. Antivirus updated & scan remains clean. Call up does not seem to aim at any specific target address. Nor does it fire up my IPS Xtra home page.

Where do I go to alter a setting/flag to stop it automatically calling up.

Murray P
22-10-2003, 10:15 AM
What OS do you have. Do you have Spybot or Adaware? Give one or both a run, sounds like spyware. Have you applied the Blaster patch and removed it (if necessary), do you have windows update set to auto? Also do the Ctrl + Alt + Del and go to the running processess and have a look for anything suspicious there.

Cheers Murray P

golliwog
22-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Thanks Murray P.
I have Windows XP & I will find Spybot or Adaware, I think I have at least one of them on a monthly Mag. Free disc.
Your advice sounds a very good bet.
Blaster Patch is applied yes or have I fooled myself?
Windows Update may be set to auto although I haven't noticed it running in the last few days. I will need to find out how to get into it.
I've done the Ctl+Alt+Del & found nothing suspect.
BUT I have retrieved a wee note from the waste paper basket with a strange Ref I scrawled down last week.

"mapisvc32.exe" that I now see via a Google search is related to Spyware.

Can I just delete "mapisvc32" in Windows Explorer or will I have to uninstall it through "ADD or Remove Software"?

Pheonix
22-10-2003, 12:26 PM
Update Spybot and Adaware before running them. Leave it up to those programs to do the deleting first.
Remember, before deleting while uncertain, just rename the extension (eg bummer.exe to bummer.sus) to something that is not used by windows.

tommy
22-10-2003, 12:28 PM
It would be best to download AdAware (free version) from this site (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/) and Spybot from here (http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en) rather than use versions on a disc as it is preferable to have the latest copy. After installing remember to allow or request the program to get the latest reference files.