PDA

View Full Version : HaHa, The Pricespy is down

crazymagi
21-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Now I cant open the pricespy web site. Hope it down forever

Budda
21-10-2003, 11:42 AM
why an earth would you wish this ?? i thought it was a good and interesting site

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-10-2003, 11:44 AM
Never underestimate the power of stupidity

Murray P
21-10-2003, 11:49 AM
PriceSpy (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/) is ok. you might want to check your settings.

Cheers Murray P

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-10-2003, 11:55 AM
I get the feeling he/she probably doesn't want to

Odin
21-10-2003, 12:04 PM
Some people are simply infected with little or no intelligence, the original post of the this thread appears to be one of those. PriceSpy is a wonderful and helpful service for those that don't want to get ripped off by being overcharged for certain items.

I tried to buy a ADSl router from a store where I live and ther were going to charge me $480 dollars, however I had alradey checked pricespy and saw that I could get it from many other places for $250, so that is what I did.

I guess the original poster is one of those people that like to rip others off and since pricespy came about he/she finds it difficult to pull the wool over peoples eyes now., I hope he/she now goes out of business.

somebody
21-10-2003, 03:16 PM
Let me guess.. you're a hacker/cracker who made their site tempoarily go offline, and you've come here to boast about it?

Why do you hope it is down forever? It is a good free service to help the general public.

-=JM=-
21-10-2003, 03:29 PM
PriceSpy is OK, but it is bad in a few ways as well. As for it being down, I'm picking it was just briefly.

Susan B
21-10-2003, 04:05 PM
> PriceSpy is OK, but it is bad in a few ways as well.

Oh come on JM, you can do better than that. :p

Why is it bad in a few ways?

Jen C
21-10-2003, 04:09 PM
I find pricespy to be an excellent resource on prices and availability of products. However, as JM has mentioned it does have a few quirks. You can see 100 different ways to describe the same product, and the way pricespy's database is updated off the suppliers website can result in the odd hiccup.

But pricespy does quite clearly state (http://www.pricespy.co.nz/about.php) this:
Disclaimer
The material on this website is for general informational purposes only. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current.

We make no warranty, express or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information at this website or at any other website to which this site is linked.

Use of the information and data contained on this website is at your sole risk. If you rely on the information on this site you are responsible for ensuring by independent verification its accuracy, currency or completeness.

I always email the supplier to confirm the details/price of the product before placing any online order.

Overall, Pricespy certainly saves me a lot of legwork :D

Kame
21-10-2003, 04:12 PM
It's bad for wholesalers, I know for starters I use to go to them and ask them to beat or match the prices (couldn't bother going into town and buying it) and they did, now I don't worry as I buy direct from the suppliers so I don't think PriceSpy will find those prices at retail but if they do, then I'd complain.

Another thing is that there's a minor flaw in how items are determined, now I'm guessing it's a few common words it searches for, but say for Starters a Samsung 52x 24x 52x CDWriter, the price you'd most likely see is the price for the OEM 2MB cache one, not the Retail Box 8MB one which is far better. Unless you really delve in, you will need to try and determine what is what, and make sure it's not cheaper because it's an older model, etc.

Graham L
21-10-2003, 04:17 PM
The entries are automatically generated. It's not "intelligent".

It's a guide to prices. Like all the information on the Internet it can be wrong. :D You have to do some work yourself. If that's a problem for you, there's always Harvey Norman or Big Byte. :D

-=JM=-
21-10-2003, 06:03 PM
> > PriceSpy is OK, but it is bad in a few ways as
> well.
>
> Oh come on JM, you can do better than that. :p
>
> Why is it bad in a few ways?

Well basically it makes it a lot harder for the computing industry. Also PriceSpy is now having sponsored retailers whereby they pay money and get preferences in some cases.

Some businesses are now purely pricespy based and charging far too little, bringing margins down lower. It's not a good thing really.

Winston001
21-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Do you all mean to support this sad individuals thread?
The tone of the original post is extremely close to that of another recent member - F_C and Eff... as I recall.

forrest44
21-10-2003, 06:59 PM
>as I buy direct from the suppliers

How/where do U do that Kame?

-=JM=-
21-10-2003, 07:14 PM
> >as I buy direct from the suppliers
>
> How/where do U do that Kame?

Well going by what he's said there and what else has been mentioned in other posts.. I'm picking that he has accounts with them and to get an account one would usually have to .. . ....... ;)

metla
21-10-2003, 07:23 PM
To get an account you have to be "in the industry".

I aproached a few whlesalers and there methods varied widely,some asked me to fill out a half dozen pages of mumbo jumbo,asked about my finianial status,my expected turnover,my minimum garenteed spending with them,who my finial adviser was?...lmao.

I ignored those companies,which i presume is what they wanted anyway.

Other wholesalers merely asked me to prove the nature of my company,i just directed them to my website and that done the trick.

Since ive had my site up and getting a fair bit of traffic ive been bombarded by wholesalers trying to get me to purchase from them,i scan all there pricelists but most of the stuff is round the same price so i stick with the 2 wholesalers who were the first to give me a shot.

Heh...rambling again....

Thomas
21-10-2003, 10:05 PM
>>>>Do you all mean to support this sad individuals thread?

Some kind of desire to communicate irrespective of a lack of reason,a puzzle indeed.

agent
21-10-2003, 10:08 PM
It appears Thomas and Winston are still having wise debates far beyond my level of understanding :D

PoWa
22-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Rofl agent.

hey metla, whats your site?

I for one find pricespy helpful and it is often a deciding factor from who I purchase from. Ok the prices are sometimes innaccurate and the headings for items are often innacurate or hard to determine all the different features, but it still works ok. (Try searching the best price for a 120Gb hard drive with 8mb of cache).

metla
22-10-2003, 07:56 AM
>
> hey metla, whats your site?
>

www.computermedic.co.nz

metla
22-10-2003, 07:57 AM
bugga.

http://www.computermedic.co.nz/

PoWa
22-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Very nice site there. Not as clunked up as others I've seen, quite tidy layout and easy to navigate. Prices are pretty good too, are they very competitive with others like off pricespy?

metla
22-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Prices on pricespy are so lean that after paying the cost of delivery Iím actually losing money instantly if I match prices. which just goes to show how little mark-up they are putting on each item.

I don't even attempt to compete on that level, I couldn't even if I wanted to.

I base my prices on the current prices in Palmerston North, and I believe in that regard im very competitive.

Plus locals get the option of having me install it for them, and they arenít dealing with a faceless shop 500km to the north if something does go wrong.....

Glad you like the site, I think it ranks right up their with the best of them, Pity i can't take responsibility for building it ,though I added all the content.

TonyF
22-10-2003, 02:04 PM
> Glad you like the site, I think it ranks right up
> their with the best of them,
Indeed a nice site - free of flashing lights and similar nonsense. The only place I was aware of in Wanganui is Geoff at Computer Valet, and he deals also in kites, another of my pursuits ..
Cheers T

stu140103
22-10-2003, 02:55 PM
> Glad you like the site, I think it ranks right up
> their with the best of them, Pity i can't take
> responsibility for building it ,though I added all
> the content.

I have to agree your site is not to bad at all :)

I did even know you sold computer parts! :O :8}

B-)

I learnt something new today ;)