PDA

View Full Version : Is Jet Start a con?

Mzee
20-10-2003, 11:59 PM
I am doing this while connected by 56k modem to Paradise because my Jet Start is erratic & slow. I have tried 2 modems & 2 routers with no better results. Its fine sometimes, but seems to go to sleep. Sometimes it will hang for ages in the middle of a file, & sometimes in between. It seems to work in fits & starts :-(
I'm getting really pissed off with paying for an inferior service, when an ordinary connection does better.
Its an expensive way of freeing the phone line. A Telecom racket?

Does anyone else have these problems?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-10-2003, 12:09 AM
What's your location?

This means both suburb and city to work out which DSLAM you are connected to.

Do you know how far it is to the exchange from your house?

Do you use filters, or a splitter?

Have you tried removing other possibly "noisy" telephony devices such as fax machine, answerphone, sky digital, monitored alarm to see if that helps?

Also, who is your ISP for JetStart?

JetStart bandwidth is provided by the ISP, not Telecom, so if the bandwidth is flaky with packet loss etc it is likely to be a fault with your ISP, possibly with under-resourced networks or poor hardware.

If you know someone else with Jetstart have you tried using their ISP account on your modem to rule this out?

Telecom do have a lot of faults with DSLAM's but these are usually only short term, I receive all the fault notifications so I can let you know if something is happening in your area.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Just to add to the above, I have been on JetStart for about 18 months now, and have never had any speed, reliability, or connection stability problems.

I can usually maintain a single session for upwards of 10 days.

There have been one or two drops in service, maximum of an hour from memory related to Telecom network faults, overall thought I'd say easy 99% uptime.

sc0ut
21-10-2003, 12:27 AM
call them up
they will reimburse you of any of your dialup costs if the fault is caused by them
i had a similar problem (maybe way different to yours)
the phone cable going to my router was too long (15-20M)
so i shortened the cable(1M) to the Router and used a RJ45 to connect it to my PC
i was unsure if it was a faulty cable or a bad connection but by doing that i also made it a micro second faster

Mzee
21-10-2003, 08:29 AM
As it happens, Jetstart is behaving its self this morning.
1] I have tried 2 routers and 2 modems.
2] The router cables are 1 metre long.
3] I have tried using it with out any filters & no devices connected to the line, no different.
4] Telecom have checked the line for noise, OK (except after heavy rain).
5] Tried MTU 576, 1495, 1500 no discernable difference.

The problem is worse with downloading small files when it will take longer in between each file thsn losding it. Often hangs when changing pages on the net & then comes in a rush. (slow to respond)

Mzee
21-10-2003, 08:56 AM
I have just discovered that the adjustments I made in Windows MTU did not alter the router.
I am now altering the Router settings & will see.

Marlboro
21-10-2003, 09:47 AM
My advice would be to change to Woosh and not pay Telecom a cent. I believe it's available in the North Shore.

My connection never drops (from Central Akl) - and it's consistently running faster than the specified 256k speed

Kame
21-10-2003, 10:31 AM
I am a bit disturbed at Telecom, If reporting a Line fault you face the charge of A) Not Telecom's Fault please pay $81 diagnostics fee or B) You're correct, we'll fix your line for free.

Now I'm not a phone line expert, so how can I perform my own line test so I could avoid the $81 charge they expect you to pay if you're wrong. I thought I was doing them a favour by ringing them up and saying my phone line is playing up, and to hear that I could be charged $81, I should have said nah forget it and hung up then.

In the end though, Telecom discovered a fault in my line, same ol' broken cable in the lines, they'll send someone out to fix it. The guy didn't fix it, he just moved my line onto another network and said he'll fix it in the future, and what do you know, my ADSL's performance is now acceptable.

Mzee
21-10-2003, 11:58 AM
To "WhisyTangoFoxtrot"

My Area is Glenfield, North Shore near Glenfield College.

As it happens, Jetstart is good at the moment.

What does "Woosh" cost?

More Modems!!!!!

csinclair83
21-10-2003, 01:04 PM
www.woosh.co.nz all ur answers would b there and it comes with a modem too....
as its wireless...u can use in car...anywhere as long its in network which is only auckland for now :(

kiwistag
22-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Had similar problems.
Make sure your DSL Line mode is set to G.DMT & not ANSI T1.413 - or if you're unsure just Auto.

T1.413 works but isn't as stable I've found. I've got better performace with G.DMT - which is the recommended protocol from Telecom.

kiwistag
22-10-2003, 04:24 PM
It's in Tuatapere & a few other centres now with the help of Vodafone.

Mzee
22-10-2003, 11:13 PM
I give up!
Was going well this morning, now the 56k is just as fast, if not faster.
I was downloading a Web site with FTP and it kept on stopping, & starting.

Downloaded the same site with a Paradise 56k connection & it all came in one go.

Has anyone tried "Slingshot Xcellerator"?

Greg S
23-10-2003, 04:39 AM
I've had a lot of issues with my Jetstart (via Orcon) - it's pretty unstable, drops me about once every day, mediocre speed, downloads usually noticeably less than the assured 128. At least it's better than dial-up, but it's quite poor compared to when I was on full speed adsl via Xtra, much as I hate to say it. I look forward to going back to full speed once I get this gaming bug out of my system! :D

stu140103
23-10-2003, 11:05 AM
> I've had a lot of issues with my Jetstart (via Orcon)
> - it's pretty unstable, drops me about once every
> day, mediocre speed, downloads usually noticeably
> less than the assured 128. At least it's better than
> dial-up, but it's quite poor compared to when I was
> on full speed adsl via Xtra, much as I hate to say
> it.

Have you tried contacting orcon about this????

Greg S
23-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Why would I Stu?

As wonderful and helpful as their helpdesk staff are, they don't have access to the fukk range of diagnostics from Telecom

Greg S
23-10-2003, 11:13 AM
OUCH! What a typo!- Sorry people - 'fukk' above should have been 'full' ! I'm gonna have to give up learning this damn touch-typing thing!

Kame
23-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I hate Telecom, but I wouldn't drop down to swearing at them Greg :P

I'm going to check out Woosh, it seems it's got a lot of coverage here in Auckland and if it works out I wonder if running Web Servers is in their terms and conditions, as I'm looking for cheap hosting, and 128K from all ISPs don't allow hosting servers, 256K from clear does allow it but I'm not within their network, so I'll see how Woosh compares.

Paulmnz
25-10-2003, 11:22 AM
Taking this further OT - I went through the Woosh site and read their FAQ's and checked my area (CHC East-central) and was told no access yet.

How do you find out what their rollout schedule is? Will it be this year? Next year?

Interesting that one source told me that Woosh have a 500mb cap and the information on their site indicates its closer to 7000MB (10x current median usage of 700mb)