PDA

View Full Version : Shutting down XP Home, Screen grey's out but no window to shutdown appears?

Chilling_Silently
20-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Hey all,

Ive never seen anything like this before, but when I shut down one of the PC's at work running WinXP Home, it greys out the screen as per usual (When you get the option to Shutdown, Restart or Suspend), but the lil popup window thingy whatsit doesnt appear?!

Hitting Enter will still shut it down, but what happens when I needa just reboot that PC, or want to Hibernate/Suspend it?

Any idea's?

Cheers

Chill.

stu140103
20-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Have you check all the power options???

If that fails then reinstall the OS :)

Kame
20-10-2003, 01:27 PM
*wonders what you're doing on XP then sees it's about a work computer :P

Well if you spent heaps of time on XP you'd know the order of the menus in the drop down (worked on a German version and that wasn't difficult to get around :P, although you could make out some of the words in English)

I don't know the exact problem in your case but you can always shutdown by doing CTRL+ALT+DEL (3 finger salute) and clicking on Shutdown and seeing if the dialog box comes up there with options to choose.

The shutdown/restart/log off/hibernate are just commands using different switches, you can get shortcuts for them and have them on your desktop. Just have a look around for them, shutdown commands or something like that, also Tweak XP Pro lets you install those shortcuts for those tasks.

Chilling_Silently
20-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Check power options, spyware, viruses, relevant settings....

Just noticed it about a week back?

I'd really rather not format at this stage, just to get the shutdown screen back. I can do it from the command line for the moment, but for the others who use the PC, the command line is a daunting thing....

Chilling_Silently
20-10-2003, 01:30 PM
> *wonders what you're doing on XP then sees it's about
> a work computer :P

You know me too well ;-)

> Well if you spent heaps of time on XP you'd know the
> order of the menus in the drop down (worked on a
> German version and that wasn't difficult to get
> around :P, although you could make out some of the
> words in English)

Only thing is.. Im not used to shutting down PC's.. Mine's Linux and it runs 24/7 so that's two reasons why I've not learned :-(
...German sounds fun though :D

> I don't know the exact problem in your case but you
> can always shutdown by doing CTRL+ALT+DEL (3 finger
> salute) and clicking on Shutdown and seeing if the
> dialog box comes up there with options to choose.

Nope, doing that shuts it down immediately IIRC, will check in about an hour...

> The shutdown/restart/log off/hibernate are just
> commands using different switches, you can get
> shortcuts for them and have them on your desktop.
> Just have a look around for them, shutdown commands
> or something like that, also Tweak XP Pro lets you
> install those shortcuts for those tasks.

Thanks for that, I'll look up Tweak XP Pro on Google and let ya know how I get on :-)

Cheers!

Chill.

Chilling_Silently
20-10-2003, 01:52 PM
Dude you legend!

That app is pretty damn sweet!!

XP now is using 56MB RAM as opposed to the previous 139... Still have shutdown problems :-(

Chilling_Silently
21-10-2003, 12:26 PM
It appears to be the latest 45.23 driver set from nVidia.

A similar things now happening on another PC here at work.. that's two in a couple of days.

Both cards are Vanta's, went back to the 44.03 Detonators and so far so good :-)

Many thanks to Kame for telling me bout Tweak XP, Its brilliant!

Cheers

Chill.