PDA

View Full Version : Where to save downloaded files.

parry
20-10-2003, 09:34 AM
Hi, I use a default download folder which works in most cases except for zip and image files.

Whenever I download a zip file it gets saved to Temp and opens up Winzip. I would prefer the file gets downloaded to my downloads folder like most other files I download. Also, with pictures (eg JPG) it always tries to save in My Pictures as opposed to Downloads. Where is the setting In IE6 for fixing this?

Steve Askew
20-10-2003, 09:47 AM
This (http://free.of.pl/i/ietweak/ieeng.html) program may do the job, Although I havent tried it myself.
They claim you can use it to change the default IE downloads folder.

Cheers Steve

Terry Porritt
20-10-2003, 10:16 AM
If you use right click and 'Save Target As' then you can put the file wherever you like. I think that's what you're wanting?

parry
20-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys. Terry, I cant use Save As for some downloads as they use php which brings up an html page rather than the file itself. I tried that program Steve and it changes the default folder alright but doesnt stop zip files being opened in Winzip.

I had a brainwave and checked the file association for zip and under Folder Options|File Types|Advanced there wasnt a tick against Confirm Open After Download, where with other files there is. Ticking this fixed the problem - haven tried images yet but hopefully thats fixed too.

So the answer is to change the default download folder in the registry (or use IETweak 2) and put a tick in the file types bit. I dont know why it doesnt have that when other extensions seem to?

Thanks again for your help.