PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Stuff/Qs...

csinclair83
20-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Is there anything you can get to customise laptop hardware style...improve the look of it etc....

and also battery...is it good for it to be charging 1% every time i turn it on as i usually unplugg while its shutting down and that uses a very lil bit of battery as i move lappie whle its shutting down....

robo
20-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Frankly, I would remove the laptop battery if it is used plugged in for any length of time (ie a few days) as they get knackered by constant being recharged and never really used. That's just me, but I think batteries last longer if they are actually completely discharged regularly.
robo.

godfather
20-10-2003, 10:23 AM
After 3 years 1 of my laptops is still going despite the battery being almost constantly on charge.
I thing the quality of the charging circuits looks after them quite well.
Robos comment is correct however.

Re the appearance, apart from painting it (not recommended...) then learn to like it the way it is, as there isnt much you can do.

Some upmarket Toshibas have replaceable colour panels, but they cost a fortune.

csinclair83
20-10-2003, 11:37 AM
godfater...its the laptop i think you have, it was the hpze4520 that comes with a digital camera...hope that helps in giving me more info regarding battery and robo too...

and i do like it the way it is, but was just curious if there was anything i could actually do to modify the colour etc but no not gonna paint anything...

Chris

robo
20-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Hide it under the desk and put an aquarium of top, use wireless keyboard and mouse, external monitor with cables at the back. That'll get people worried.
Tell them you add more guppies when you need it to go faster.
robo.

Susan B
20-10-2003, 12:10 PM
> Is there anything you can get to customise laptop hardware style...improve the look of it etc....

Come on Chris, why do you want to tart your laptop up? Beauty is only skin deep remember - it is what's underneath that counts. :p :D

Graham L
20-10-2003, 03:06 PM
You could hacksaw a hole in the case and put a neon tube inside. B-)

Just don't defrost it with a spoon. ]:)

csinclair83
20-10-2003, 03:08 PM
lol had to say that didnt you :P

godfather
20-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Re the battery, you realise they have a state of charge indicator on them?

Take the battery out, and press the button on the side of the battery. The LEDs show the state of charge for a few seconds.

csinclair83
20-10-2003, 03:15 PM
what does a state of charge mean?

if u mean how much to charge etc it says it on the systray when its charging

Graham L
20-10-2003, 03:19 PM
It's a "fuel gauge". It will read from Empty to Full. My latest laptop has it as an icon on the screen. (Of course it's permanently at empty because the lithium ion battery is dead, but that's how I got it so cheap. :D )

csinclair83
20-10-2003, 03:23 PM
thats what i got graham..on screen too..at present i usng AC power...

beetle
20-10-2003, 03:55 PM
:^O

LOL ROFLMAO.....

just a bit of light pleasant stress relief

:D

beetle
beetle

Shortstop
20-10-2003, 09:18 PM
Lithium ion batteries seem to be made of the right stuff to survive the constant charging, and have no 'memory effect'. To keep them healthy it's recommended that you run on battery once a month, and run it right down.

godfather
20-10-2003, 09:28 PM
> what does a state of charge mean?

It means the state (condition) of the batterys charge (capacity, amount of charge left, flatness, etc)

The tray indicator estimates the charge based on input vs output and self discharge etc

The on-battery one does it by more accurately sampling the battery voltage.

If the battery has been out for a while, or the battery has a non typical self-discharge rate, the tray indicator will get a bit confused until its sure the battery has been connected long enough to have a full charge.