PDA

View Full Version : networking computers and ADSL

caffy
19-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Hi,

Will be moving to a new place, in less than two months, and was wondering what the best way is to connect my PC with the gateway PC, that has access to high speed internet?

the gateway PC has a dynalink ADSL router (i think thats what it's called), and both PC's have Win XP Pro.

The computers will most likely have some distance between each other, so am not too keen on networking by cables - would be too fiddly having a cable running all over the place. :)

Is wireless networking an option, and would ADSL work over wireless? i.e will my PC be able to connect to the high speed internet, by wireless networking?

Am just trying to sort out what i will have to buy/set up etc, before i actually move to the new place.

thanks,
caffy

csinclair83
19-10-2003, 07:18 PM
check www.woosh.com wireless adsl...

godfather
19-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Wireless networking is quite reasonably priced now.
If I was starting now, I would not wire the house with a LAN.
I use both wireless and wired LAN. External router, 8 port hub. Wireless access point. Plug and Play really.

segfault
19-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Wireless ADSL? Thats a new one :)

PoWa
19-10-2003, 08:24 PM
I think the idea is, you would have a wireless access point connected to your router via ethernet. Then for each of the pc's a wireless device which would connect to the Access Point and you would still be getting adsl.

Hey Godfather, remember for your 5000th post, you have to post something profound and useful for computer users :D

-=JM=-
19-10-2003, 10:42 PM
Just out of interest godfather, how do you find your wireless LAN distance wise, can you still use it in most places of the house? Or do you have lots of access points to manage this?

godfather
19-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Mine works anywhere in the house, and about 10m outside it.
I have 1 WAP in the office, central to the area of the house.

Its an older construction (110 years old) wooden house, but still absorbs the signal.

-=JM=-
20-10-2003, 12:15 AM
Well this is closer to 5 years old. I might have to pay a visit to DSE and try some stuff out.

caffy
20-10-2003, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Had another thought - what about a hub? I've heard of those, and how do they work?

CYaBro
20-10-2003, 06:53 AM
How much money do you want to spend?

godfather
20-10-2003, 09:19 AM
If you go wireless, you will not have anywhere to use a hub. They connect all the LAN cables, whereas wireless doesn't have the cables.

The hub is like a hub on a wheel, it connects the "spokes" (LAN cables) to a central point so everything talks to everything. A Wireless Air Point acts as a wireless hub.

John H
20-10-2003, 09:21 AM
caffy, I have my main pc in an outside office, and a laptop in the house. They communicate wirelessly and both access adsl. When they were both in the house, they communicated wirelessly from one end of the house to the other (our house is a 1920's lath and plaster bungalow). However there were limits - you could not sit at the laptop with your body between the two computers or the signal died!

I have a Dynalink RTA300 router, connected to the phone line, of course. The main PC and a wireless access point are both plugged into the router. The laptop in the house has a wireless adapter PCMCIA card.

Right from the start, the laptop was able to share the adsl connection wirelessly, but it wasn't a very good signal because the outside office is a Skyline building with a tin cladding. I sought advice from a wireless expert here in ChCh and he recommended an outside aerial.

He made up an aerial for me, that consists of a more powerful antennae than the pair that stick up from the back of the wireless access point, and a cable. The new antennae looks like a bigger version than the ones on the WAP. You simply take one of the aerials off, attach the cable to the same antennae post, and mount the aerial outside - in my case high on a verandah post. Oddly it works best with the outside one parallel to the ground rather than vertical.

So basically what you need is a WAP to plug into your router, and a wireless card for each PC or laptop you want to access adsl. My WAP and card are made by Linksys, but I gather that others on this forum have had good results with the cheaper Dick Smith models. If you want to have pc's in different buildings, you may need to investigate an outside aerial.

I don't see why you would need a hub - your router model is not stated, but presumably it includes a switch, which performs at higher specs than a hub.

caffy
20-10-2003, 04:30 PM
> How much money do you want to spend?

None! (ha ha, yeah right)...

realistically...id probably prefer to go for the cheapest option...which is what?

caffy
20-10-2003, 04:36 PM
> > How much money do you want to spend?
>
> None! (ha ha, yeah right)...
>
> realistically...id probably prefer to go for the
> cheapest option...which is what?

One more thing - I know that cheap options aren't always the best choice - but I don't really want to spend a lot of money setting up networking and internet access particularly when I know I'm only living at the new place on a temporary basis.

I could always set-up a dial-up connection, because the room I'm getting has a phone jack, can just plug modem into that.

But I'd love to give ADSL a go...probably won't get another chance to have access to ADSL cheaply!