PDA

View Full Version : Favicon for Press F1

Susan B
19-10-2003, 04:04 PM
I wish to put in a request for Press F1 to have a Favicon. :-)

Since I have been using Firebird I have half a dozen shortcuts to my most-visited sites on the Navigation toolbar (bless Firebird's little cotton sox for customisability :D) and the Press F1 shortcut's icon keeps getting hijacked by other sites' Favicons for some reason. None of the other shortcut icons do and it got a little annoying.

Three of the other sites I visit display their Favicons on the toolbar and since I thought it would be nice to have a Press F1 icon there I made one myself. It looks quite good and is even displayed on the tabs of open PF1 pages and on the Bookmarks link as well. If anyone else wants to use it you can grab it here (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/favicon.ico).

It would be way better for Press F1 to have its own official Favicon though and we could possibly even help things along a bit by submitting our own designs for consideration. It wouldn't be too difficult to implement, would it?

What does everyone else think? A triviality, sure, but a good idea nevertheless?

Murray P
19-10-2003, 04:27 PM
Good idea Sue B but, can you make it a little bigger so that the four eyed squinty ones amongst us can see it too. Or throw a bit more colour at it.

Do you think a design comp would be out of the question? We could make some for the Mod's too so that when they posted it was next to their name, could be fun ]:)

Cheers Murray ;P

beetle
19-10-2003, 04:55 PM
yeah um me to... :p
what size is your screen ? 29inch? cos that thing is rather small, and i dont wear glass's.....

making up for lost time eh?

:D

beetle

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-10-2003, 04:58 PM
They are Favicon's people... they are designed to be small.

By design they sit in the address bar to the left of the URL, or in the favourites menu next to the site name.

beetle
19-10-2003, 05:11 PM
ok yes i understand its suposed to be small but........ and its a biggie...
how do you get this favicon to be n your tray any way when the prog is open???

im really noob at this so am a bit lost how you get it there or how the icon gets there the correct icon not just any icon...

what settings ?

beetle

Jen C
19-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Thanks Susan :)

I have just customised my PressF1 URL so that it has the favicon. Saved it somewhere safe from my web cache cleaning binges I go on regularly :D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-10-2003, 05:23 PM
> ok yes i understand its suposed to be small
> but........ and its a biggie...
> how do you get this favicon to be n your tray any way
> when the prog is open???
>
> im really noob at this so am a bit lost how you get
> it there or how the icon gets there the correct icon
> not just any icon...
>
> what settings ?
>
> beetle

The icon is supposed to be set by the site designer. It should be automagically inserted when you view the page.

Incidentally IE stopped supporting them, and being a large proportion of the browser market, designers stopped putting them on sites, which is probably why PressF1 doesn't have one.

I don't use the browser mentioned above, so I can't give you instructions, however I'm sure someone can rustle them up.

beetle
19-10-2003, 05:28 PM
i use IE so my icon is a E

thats what pf1 shows up as on my desktop and favs list.

beetle

Susan B
19-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Sorry, but as WTF says, it is supposed to be small. Minute, in fact. :D

If you get your magnifying glass out you might be able to see that it is the F1 button on the PressF1 logo at the top left of this page. ;-)

Take a look at my screenshot (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/pf1-favicon.jpg) for how mine looks.

To get it there for Firebird I put it in my
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\7iz07z3m.slt folder
then right-clicked the shortcut link up there on the Navigation toolbar, went to the Extra setting in the Properties box and navigated to the above mentioned folder and selected the "favicon.ico".

For Internet Explorer right-click the shortcut link, choose Properties then Change Icon. I put the favicon.ico in my Links folder within Favorites in this case because the Press F1 shortcut is on the Links bar.

A bit more colour for the icon would be lovely but I'm no graphic artist - in fact I don't even have any imagination but I am sure there are lots of creative people here who can whip up something a lot more snazzy. :-)

Susan B
19-10-2003, 05:54 PM
> Incidentally IE stopped supporting them

Really? I didn't know that. I did a search for favicons to see how they were made but didn't find any information about IE's support ceasing.

Oh well, if the gnomes don't want to incorporate it onto this site at least I can still use my own. :-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-10-2003, 06:05 PM
> Really? I didn't know that. I did a search for
> favicons to see how they were made but didn't find
> any information about IE's support ceasing.

Yeah, it stopped supporting them quite a while ago... sometimes they work in Favourites, but not often.

If you browse with something like Opera you find them on a lot of sites, IE never shows them.

Susan B
19-10-2003, 06:17 PM
So it does (or does not, should I say). Just went to my Links sites with Internet Explorer and sure enough, no favicons turned up. :-(

Have been using Opera and Firebird for so long that I hadn't even noticed the lack of favicons in IE now.

Stupid browser. :p :D

Jen C
19-10-2003, 06:25 PM
I just noticed that I had an Icon Editor on my Red Hat box, so I had a wee play and added some red and blue to it. It was my first attempt at using the Icon Editor so don't get too excited :p

Screenshot with modified favicon displayed (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/red_favicon.jpg)

Murray P
19-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Much easier on the eye Jen.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
19-10-2003, 06:35 PM
just add this to being another reason for changing to firebird or something that allows favicons then huh?

thanxs all other wise, will go back to my stick in mud IE for the time being....

beetle

Susan B
19-10-2003, 06:43 PM
Very nice Jen. How about putting the icon itself up for grabs? :-)

Beetle: Have you got a Press F1 shortcut in your Favorites folder at all? Like, how do you get to this forum once you have opened Internet Explorer?

beetle
19-10-2003, 06:47 PM
its shortcut is on the desktop.

same as chat.

with the E icon on them

dont need to open IE just go straight to pf1 :D no mucking about here.

it wasnt in my favs till before thinking it was the only way to save icon but its the E to.
beetle

Jen C
19-10-2003, 06:53 PM
I can put the icon up on ImageF1 but as it only accepts jpg's etc, you will need to save it and then change the extension from .jpg to .ico - unless Susan wants to grab it from there and stick it with the other one :D

favicon_red (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/favicon_red.jpg)

Susan B
19-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Oh. Well in that case you are out of luck because that icon is way too small to replace your desktop icon.

Just pretend it is a PF1 icon instead of an E. :p :D

beetle
19-10-2003, 07:02 PM
um jen its not working.

and SB i could print one off and stick it to the screen.... :p

;-)

beetle

Jen C
19-10-2003, 07:20 PM
> um jen its not working.

What's not working? If you mean my favicon_red icon on ImageF1 that is because I had to upload it with a jpg extension - so you can't use it until you save it and then rename the extension back to .ico

beetle
19-10-2003, 07:25 PM
all i get is the red x box and i cant save it...

and it wont copy either.

??

doesnt matter, obviously not meant to have it.
beetle

Jen C
19-10-2003, 07:33 PM
> all i get is the red x box and i cant save it...

That red x box is the favicon - you will just have to squint harder at it :D

> and it wont copy either.

Just put your cursor right on top of the red box and then right-click and then choose "Save image as".

Scouse
19-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Hi beetle, et al.
Some lovely samples here......
Favicons (http://www.tokyo-ouja.com/favicon/)

beetle
19-10-2003, 10:44 PM
jen it wont give me that option, just says open with.... and a red X is in the box in the box....LOL if you get my meaning....

so it wont work,

beetle

beetle
19-10-2003, 10:49 PM
wow scouse fantastic site, added it to my favs list will deffinitly use this list at some stage.

thanxs

beetle

Greg S
20-10-2003, 08:13 AM
Here's mine (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/favicon.bmp)

Greg S
20-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Or here (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/favicon.gif) to see it in action

beetle
20-10-2003, 10:03 AM
ok just to drag this one out a little more...
i can save Greg 's one but now save as .ico? and to where to get it to icon status????

still cant get your one to work jen...sorry.

does it have to be saved in any particular spot / file? and i still have trouble with save image as ... but will work on that one.

beetle

godfather
20-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Jen, your one is only available by going into the upload site and viewing all uploaded files, then right-clicking and saving as...

Just viewing from the link shows an image placeholder only.

Greg S
20-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Beetle, my one won't work unless you convert it using an image editor, because I've uploaded it as a .bmp image (the .ico image doesn't display in a browser correctly.

If you want to use mine, just go here (http://www.zu.co.nz/images/favicon.ico), save the image to your computer, then add it to your favourites.

beetle
20-10-2003, 11:44 AM
yeah well since then have changed puters and am regretting it....
i can get your image to veiw as a thumbnail but when open no image available,???

will try to save and then add to favs..

but this may take me hours on this puter as the lag is enormous today.

thanxs for the help otherwise, really appreciate it.

beetle

Susan B
20-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Nice one, Greg. Yours is way better than my pathetic effort to use the initials instead of the button. :-)

> Jen, your one is only available by going into the upload site and viewing all uploaded files, then right-clicking and saving as...

> Just viewing from the link shows an image placeholder only.

That is strange, I had no problem at all viewing and saving Jen's icon by following her link. Don't tell me you are using IE, Godfather?! :p :D

Kame
20-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Since you lot are making favicons, why not desktop icons as well? Shortcuts to PressF1 :P

Something tells me you have fallen under PressF1 mind control

Susan B
20-10-2003, 05:05 PM
> Since you lot are making favicons, why not desktop icons as well? Shortcuts to PressF1 :p

I did think of that, actually. :D

Only trouble is that I avoid Desktop shortcut icons as much as possible and wasn't prepared to make any exceptions, even for Press F1. :p :D

> Something tells me you have fallen under PressF1 mind control

Yep, and you are just as guilty as the rest of us. :D

Jen C
20-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Ok, I have done a bit of investigating into my non-existant favicon_red.jpg, and in IE and Mozilla Firebird you do only get the image placeholder sometimes ?:|. You also get this message if the address bar shows this url http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/?grab=favicon_red.jpg
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/virtual/site22/fst/var/www/html/imagef1/index.php:3) in /home/virtual/site22/fst/var/www/html/imagef1/index.php on line 20

However, if the address bar shows this url http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/uploaded/favicon_red.jpg the favicon jpg is visible.

The difference being that ?grab= portion. So .... not sure what to make of that?

I have tried to upload various versions of that jpg now (sorry about the mess Sal :)) and each time the url shows the ?grab=. Has anyone uploaded anything to imageF1 the last few days which worked correctly?

Anyway, if I speak to Susan nicely she might put her copy of the favicon_red that she managed to get OK, up with her original one (plus give its .ico back again) if anyone actually wants it :D

Otherwise, nevermind. :)

Susan B
20-10-2003, 09:05 PM
> Anyway, if I speak to Susan nicely she might put her copy of the favicon_red that she managed to get OK, up with her original one (plus give its .ico back again) if anyone actually wants it

:p

Jen's favicon (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/favicon.ico)

Greg's favicon (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/favicon2.ico)

and my favicon (http://www.mscandy.orcon.net.nz/favicon1.ico) for anyone who wants to grab them.

Remember to ensure that you rename the one you want to favicon.ico if it isn't already that name (for these icons, that is, not any old icon). :-)

J ZEP
20-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Hi Susan, yep totally agree. My Firebird F1 keeps getting hijacked by other sites icons too;). I have always had my own icon for F1 in I.E but haven't been able to master how to change the icons in Firebird?? Just can't seem to get it working, i remember when i first started using it (firebird) fiddling for ages trying to add icons to my bookmarks to no avail and eventually giving up :(. So i thought "yes, here goes" and tried following your instructions - lol, still no go - and i can't even manage to get shortcuts showing on my Nav. bar?? as you have (maybe thats why i can't add the icons? is it a setting you can only get with that?)(or the paticular theme/addon or something?). Any pointers on where i am going wrong? When you say:

>>>3To get it there for Firebird I put it in my C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Phoenix\Profiles\default\7iz07z3m.slt folder then right-clicked the shortcut link up there on the Navigation toolbar, went to the Extra setting in the Properties box and navigated to the above mentioned folder and selected the "favicon.ico".

So seeing as i can't get it on my Nav bar to start with... - but even when i right clicked it previously in my bookmarks to try changing it there - i can't find any extra settings in there?? Or should i say: which extra setting in the properties do i use to put the location of the icon in? The settings i have in properties (for my bookmarks) are: Name, Location, Keyword, Description - is it one of these?? Just doesn't seem to be though?

Please help - i know this will be something silly i am missing no doubt :8}, but i just can't find the - "extra setting in the properties box to use to navigate to the folder the icon is in????

Just in case it helps - i am using version 0.7 now but the same happened when i tried to change bookmarks in earlier versions sometime back.

Cheers - and cool icons - they are all great guys, my I.E one was a boring old "orange "F" on red" :D.

stu140103
20-10-2003, 09:43 PM
> I have tried to upload various versions of that jpg
> now (sorry about the mess Sal :)) and each time the
> url shows the ?grab=. Has anyone uploaded
> anything to imageF1 the last few days which worked
> correctly?

I think that sal has stuff up some where (sorry sal), & I have just e-mail him about this, if you have any images to up load let me know, I have a copy of the files for image F1, so I can set-up a temp image f1 if any one need to post images on here.

Jen C
20-10-2003, 09:51 PM
Hi J ZEP :)

In Firebird 0.7 and XP I added my favicon a little bit differently to how Susan did hers. In FB go to Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks. Hunt out the PressF1 url bookmark and right-click on it. Click on the "Extra" tab and under Icon select choose. Then just browse to where ever you have saved the favicon, select it and then click OK.

To get the shortcuts showing on the Nav bar like how Susan has her Firebird set up, just go to View > Toolbars > Bookmark Toolbars. Any url shortcut that you have saved in the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" will now appear in your browser toolbar area.

Have fun :)

PS* Thanks Susan for popping up the favicons on to your site :)

Jen C
20-10-2003, 09:55 PM
> Hunt out the PressF1
> url bookmark and right-click on it. Click on the
> "Extra" tab ....

Oops - left out the select "Properties" after right-clicking on it ...

J ZEP
20-10-2003, 10:11 PM
> > Hunt out the PressF1
> > url bookmark and right-click on it. Click on the
> > "Extra" tab ....
>
> Oops - left out the select "Properties" after
> right-clicking on it ...

Hmmm thanks Jen, well it seems the reason i haven't been able to do it is I am "missing" the "xtra tab" --- maybe i had a corrupt install or something as i have never had an "xtra tab" ---- i will try downloading it and installing it again ? maybe that will give me the tab i have been looking for. As as i forgot to say earlier, the only tabs i have under properties are: Info - Schedule - Notify??????

Cheers

P.s i am talking about the browser only install, just in case i have the one with the e-mail client confused, as i have a feeling you and susan use the e-mail client as well?? But i definately have version 0.7.

Jen C
20-10-2003, 10:16 PM
> P.s i am talking about the browser only install, just
> in case i have the one with the e-mail client
> confused, as i have a feeling you and susan use the
> e-mail client as well?? But i definately have version
> 0.7.

No, we both have Mozilla Firebird 0.7, and not Mozilla.

J ZEP
20-10-2003, 10:22 PM
> To get the shortcuts showing on the Nav bar like how
> Susan has her Firebird set up, just go to View >
> Toolbars > Bookmark Toolbars. Any url shortcut that
> you have saved in the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder" will
> now appear in your browser toolbar area.

Thanks again Jen, but when i do that i just get the bookmarks there, and can't find a way to keep those nav bars there in front, like susan has them - if you know what i mean?? Its either all the bookmarks or all the nav bars, can't get both combined kind of thing??? sound confusing?? it is - lol, and i give up, it must be a corrupt install i am sure now!
Thanks
J

Jen C
20-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Hi again J ZEP

Is your Firebird 0.7 an upgrade? Did you follow the instructions for upgrading your FB that were given on the site? This may account for some problems otherwise. Also, some skins are not compatible with the new Firebird 0.7, so try doing this in the default skin if you have a different one loaded. After changing the skin, shut down FB and then reopen it again before trying this.

J ZEP
21-10-2003, 05:16 PM
> Is your Firebird 0.7 an upgrade? Did you follow the
> instructions for upgrading your FB that were given on
> the site?

Hi Jen, yes I did it how it said everytime i have tried... Tried again today with a fresh downloaded version of 0.7 & clean install and still the same, no "extra" tab?? Driving me nuts by now!!!

You won't believe this, it "was" an extension!!!!! I finally found the answer on one of the firebird forums. So just had to get the extension for the 'xtra" tab, lol, after all that :D.

One other thing though - i can't seem to create a new profile how it says - "by running MozillaFirebird.exe -p and click on the "Create Profile" button" any ideas what i do there? Or is that an add on too or something?, cause when i run MozillaFirebird.exe -p it just can't find it? I must be doing something wrong here too i guess?

Cheers

Jen C
21-10-2003, 05:34 PM
> You won't believe this, it "was" an extension!!!!! I
> finally found the answer on one of the firebird
> forums. So just had to get the extension for the
> 'xtra" tab, lol, after all that :D.

That was my second choice idea actually :p. It must be either the "tabbrowser extensions" or the tabbrowser preferences" because they are the only extensions I have that might add that extra tab.

> One other thing though - i can't seem to create a new
> profile how it says - "by running MozillaFirebird.exe
> -p and click on the "Create Profile" button" any
> ideas what i do there? Or is that an add on too or
> something?, cause when i run MozillaFirebird.exe -p
> it just can't find it? I must be doing something
> wrong here too i guess?

First of all make sure Firebird is not running, close down the program and also check for the process in Task Manager (I got caught out once with it still running as a process in the background). Then go to Start > Run and then browse to where the .exe of Firebird is located under programs. Select the program and click "Open". In the run box now you will see the full directory path shown surrounded by " " marks. After the last speech mark, have one space and the type in -p and hit enter. You will then get the "Select User Profile" dialog box.

Let us know how you get on. :)

J ZEP
21-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Cheers Jen, thanks a bunch for hanging in there with me :-). I am all go now ;-). Got my new icons in & profiles working ;-). I can't believe i was stupid enough not to put the full path in to start with for the profiles :8}.Do i really need to add a profile when i am the only user though anyway? Only wanted to do it cause it said to create a new one on the site?

Cheers
J

Susan B
21-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Hi J Zep :-)

> can't find a way to keep those nav bars there in front, like susan has them

That would be because I had fiddled around a bit to get them like that. :p

If you right-click on the menu bar you should have a menu pop up which has "Navigation Toolbar", "Bookmarks Toolbar" and Customize.

Choose Customize then click on the Bookmarks Toolbar where all your shortcuts are and drag the bar up alongside the icons on the Navigation Toolbar.

Note that if you have quite a few icons on there it will shorten the address bar quite a bit so you may have to do a bit of pruning with the shortcut names if necessary.

All you need do then is right-click the menu bar again and remove the tick from the Bookmarks Toolbar to get rid of the bar and it should then look the same as mine. :-)

BTW another little trick that I have recently discovered with Firebird is that if you hold your mouse over one of the tabs (I have mine down the bottom of the window, by the way, not at the top like I see Jen has hers) and then use your mouse scroll button it will jump to the next tab. Saves clicking your way down the row. ;-)

I usually use the keyboard which is why I have only just found out this trick, but it can sometimes be quicker to use the mouse if it is already handy.

[pre]I don't seem to like Firebird much, do I? :p :D

kumaraguy
21-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Hi team
Been following along
Everything sweet now
Thanks

-=JM=-
21-10-2003, 08:12 PM
> BTW another little trick that I have recently discovered with Firebird is that if > you hold your mouse over one of the tabs (I have mine down the bottom of > the window, by the way, not at the top like I see Jen has hers) and then > use your mouse scroll button it will jump to the next tab. Saves clicking your > way down the row. ;)

Are you sure about that Susan? You didn't install a tabscroller or something did you?

Susan B
21-10-2003, 08:26 PM
> Are you sure about that Susan? You didn't install a tabscroller or something did you?

Umm, well.......

Yeah, now that you mention it there is a TabScroller extension in there. :8}

So that is what it does. :p :D

Jen C
21-10-2003, 08:31 PM
> Are you sure about that Susan? You didn't install a
> tabscroller or something did you?

My Firebird does that as well, and I don't have a tabscroller extension. Certainly comes in handy - however my mouse with the KVM switch occassionally loses the plot, and its favourite latest trick is to spontaneously start scrolling through the tabs at an uncontrollable fast speed - looks very spectacular when you had 10+ tabs open at the time :D. Nothing short of killing Firebird completely (and sometimes KDE) will restore order!

Jen C
21-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Didn't see Susans post when I started mine ...

I think we just contradicted each other :D

I definitely don't have the TabScroller extension.

Jen C
21-10-2003, 08:38 PM
OK, got my curiosity here so I took a look at my settings and that function is also available as part of the Tabbrowser Preferences > Tabs Bar. An option is to "Switch tabs by scrolling the mouse wheel" which I have selected.

Susan B
21-10-2003, 08:46 PM
> that function is also available as part of the Tabbrowser Preferences > Tabs Bar. An option is to "Switch tabs by scrolling the mouse wheel" which I have selected.

Heh, I have that feature enabled as well so when I disable the TabScroller extension I can still use the mouse wheel to scroll through the tabs. I don't think I need TabScroller now. :D

Sometimes I go through all these options ticking the ones that look interesting without having a clue what they do, then I have to figure out how all these marvellous little tricks occur. :p

J ZEP
22-10-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks Susan, I knew it would be some nifty little trick you had sussed out ;-). It had got my curiousity mainly, as i like to know how to do things :D.