PDA

View Full Version : What Linux to put on slow computer?

mejobloggs
19-10-2003, 11:43 AM
I have an old 300mhz computer that I want to try Linux on.

There was something in the latest PC World, about some linux erm.. interfaces? not being very fast or something.

It has 128mb ram, and a 4mb creative graphics card or something.

What Linux will run best on it?

Oh, and a 20gb hard drive, or maybe 10gb, but nothing under.

ilikelinux
19-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Try mandrake linux 8.1, or 9.1, download them, don't buy them.
Kde should still run. if not, use a nother window manager.

For the best linux on it? well that is just trial and error

BTW: Good on ya for going to linux!

Ilieklinux

mejobloggs
19-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Ha. Its not going to happen too soon. I think I better buy another hard drive, because all my Dads old work is on that one, and if I format it, then he will definately need it :-)

Im not going to download them. I would rather pay $5 per cd or whatever, than download it. Even though I have jetstream. I only have 500mb a month, and we use that anyway.

Will I have to get drivers for everything? I guess I would have to get another graphics card then, since I would probably never find linux drivers for the thing I have.

I thought maybe a geforce 2 mx would be good, because nvidia has linux drivers.

Just looking at nvidia drivers. If I get Mandrake 9.1, what driver would I download?
Linux IA32
LinuxAMD64
LinuxIA64
or FreeBSD

What on earth are all those?

I have a pentium 2 i think

I will have to check all these things some day. I think the harddrive is screwed, and it runs sooo slow.

Maybe I am just used to faster computers.

The_Banned_One
19-10-2003, 12:07 PM
I would suggest that you go to the library and get a Linux book out AND READ!!!!!
Linux is far more difficult than install and play.

Graham L
19-10-2003, 12:35 PM
Don't start with the attitude "I probably won't find Linux drivers for ..."

Video too. The older the better. And it would be a stannge video card which wouldn't work as a standard SVGA. Find the actual description of anything, type that and "linux" into google, and you'll probably find the most up-to-date information. Also any problems people have encountered, and usually the way the problems can be fixed.

Check the Hardware-HOWTO ...

If you get Mandrake or Red Hat, you'll probably have almost all the devices you need. The only exceptions are hardware whose manufacturers won't release information.

But it's a good idea to read a book. Or have a look at FAQ80 here. :D

mejobloggs
19-10-2003, 01:29 PM
I think I will load it on, and then read a book if problems happen.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Susan B
19-10-2003, 02:29 PM
> I think I will load it on, and then read a book if problems happen.

You probably could get away with doing that, but I found it pays to do a little reading first. Unless you have heaps and heaps of time to waste trying to figure out why something very simple will not work. ;-)

> Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

Famous last words. :D

Graham L
19-10-2003, 03:34 PM
Of course nothing can go wrong. This is a computer thing. ]:)

Rank32
19-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Gentoo.. It's nice and quick!

And very pwetty too.

And I'm biased...

mark.p
19-10-2003, 04:53 PM
small(hdd installs on about 200megs with gui)-http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ or Red Hat 8. RH 8 runs fine on my P200mmx with 128 megs of ram and 2 meg of video ram. Between 800megs and 2.5gig install depending on the packages selected. You may be lucky to find it at a library. In fact RH8 version of Gnome/Sawfish runs faster than the RH 7.3's (who'd figure updated software would run quicker than older stuff :)) but I run WindowMaker as my default user window manager. Or go have a nosey at linux.org. Oh yes, and read read read!!!!

Dolby Digital
19-10-2003, 07:07 PM
>>who'd figure updated software would run quicker than older stuff.
This ain't Windows land. Although you normally expect later versions of software
to be more resource hungry, some developers may well optimise some code in later
versions.

This message is brought to you via Konqueror running on Xandros (and Xandros is nice,
the fonts especially so).

Chilling_Silently
19-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Im gonna suggest MDK 9.2 or RedHat 9 also...
Run GNOME or perhaps XFCE if you think that GNOME's too slow, but on sub 500mhz I wouldnt recommend KDE (Too visual although it can be 'toned' down).

Most of all, have fun with it, and I agree with Graham that if you go into it feeling negative, then that's how it'll be.

Graham L
21-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Let me see you install Mandrake 9.2 or RedHat 9 on a 500 MB disk, using the "Standard" installation Or even on three 500 MB disks. :D

Red Hat 6.2 is fine to get started with Linux. It works, and it can be loaded without difficulty.

He should consider the "modern" releases only with a disk with several GB free. (That might be an option).

Tyrone Barugh
21-10-2003, 03:50 PM
somthig small with a small window manager

mejobloggs
21-10-2003, 07:26 PM
I have a 20 gb hard drive.

I want to partition it so i can run windows 95, and linux on seperate partitions.

I wouldnt have a clue how to do this, so can someone help me?

I started with formatting it, so now I have an empty drive.

Do I use windows fdisk, or linux fdisk to partition?

bmason
21-10-2003, 10:48 PM
The easiest approach would be to use windows fdisk to create and format the windows partition for the portion of the drive you want and leave the rest of the drive unallocated.

The installer for what ever linux distro you are using will help with creating the remaining linux partitions.

Leaving 5gb for linux will be ample even with the latest distros. Assuming you will be leaving bulky data (mp3s) on the windows partition.

bmason
21-10-2003, 10:58 PM
> Will I have to get drivers for everything? I guess I
> would have to get another graphics card then, since I
> would probably never find linux drivers for the thing
> I have.

Your distro will include opensource drivers for most things and recent distros like mandrake & redhat do a great job of setting everything up automagically.

> I thought maybe a geforce 2 mx would be good, because
> nvidia has linux drivers.

If you don't want 3d support there is an included driver which works fine.

> Just looking at nvidia drivers. If I get Mandrake
> 9.1, what driver would I download?
> Linux IA32
32bit intel and compatibles (386 and later, inreality probably Pentium and later).

> LinuxAMD64
64bit AMD (athlon64).

> LinuxIA64
64bit Intel (Itanic).

> or FreeBSD
This is a different OS.

> What on earth are all those?
> I have a pentium 2 i think

Get the IA32 one.