PDA

View Full Version : Unable to get Motherboard working

chiefnz
19-10-2003, 08:17 AM
Hi, I have recently replaced my Asus P4SDR-VM motherboard with an Asus P4P8X motherboard. The new board works like a charm and everything is fine. The old one howver... which I want to use in a Linux server box doesn't seem to be booting at all.

I have tried clearing the CMOS but it still won't go, I don't see anything on the screen, there are no error beeps (well there are no beeps period.. let alone error beeps) the monitor light does not change from orange to green which indicates it's booting or that there is info going to the monitor.

I'm completely stumped really, when I first got the board it took me a while to get my AGP card working and I was clearing the CMOS a few times before I actually got it running.

It's quite possible that I haven't cleared it properly but I just wanted to do a post in case anyone had any idea on the problem or a fix for it.

thanks
Chiefnz

Susan B
19-10-2003, 10:45 AM
> The old one howver... which I want to use in a Linux server box doesn't seem to be booting at all.

> I don't see anything on the screen, there are no error beeps (well there are no beeps period.. let alone error beeps) the monitor light does not change from orange to green which indicates it's booting or that there is info going to the monitor.

From what you have said it sounds to me like it is a monitor/graphics card problem rather than a motherboard problem, or maybe an issue of compatibility between the two.

Do all the fans start up when you switch the computer on? Are you sure that the monitor is working - have you tried it on another computer?

godfather
19-10-2003, 11:03 AM
No beeps at all indicates that the Motherboard/CPU is simply not operating.
A normal POST will signal 1 beep. Therefore 0 beeps indicates its not even POSTing. (or the speaker is disconnected)

Try it without the video card. It should give an error then, if it reaches POST

Curly
19-10-2003, 11:22 AM
If this old MB is now in a new computer, I presume you have installed the MB drivers.

chiefnz
19-10-2003, 11:30 AM
The monitor works fine as I use it with my computer (the new M/B) I have no problems with it.

All the fans work fine and there aren't any problems with that. I cannot install the motherboard drivers as I have to install Windows or and OS to install the drivers.

Anyways I'll tinker a bit more and see what I can come up with. I have a few hunches but I guess trial and error is my only remedy right now, thanks guys... stay tuned for more info.

Terry Porritt
19-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Hang on Curly if it wont even POST how can you load m/b drivers :)

When things are dead check the power supply as Susan intimated, also check the "soft" power switch to see if its making contact, and that it is connected to the board correctly. I take it you may be using a different power supply? Or are you just swapping the boards over in the same case?

chiefnz
19-10-2003, 12:19 PM
Yes the power supply is different to the one I originally used with the old motherboard, the old supply was a 300W supply while the one it is currently using is a 320W supply.... would that make a difference?

Terry Porritt
19-10-2003, 12:43 PM
I was just wondering if the power supply has been tested to be working fully OK. The fans going means there is some power there. Not sure about the ASUS board, but I had a similar problem with an ABIT board which was due to the cpu fan being plugged into the wrong socket. The bios thought there was no cpu fan, so it refused to boot at all.

If for any reason the Power Good signal (+5V) from the psu is low the m/b may not start.

Other things to check for is that the m/b is not shorting out at the metal stand-offs, try re-seating all cables and all cards, check for anything that could cause shorting, make sure the cpu is seated properly and the socket lever is closed

Terry Porritt
19-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Interesting, drcspy2 says in nomads post about upgrading dont use metal standoffs with Asus board (at least his model board) as it wont fire up, but use plastic standoffs. There is always a possibilty of a short occuring with metal posts, there shoudnt be, but it does happen from time to time maybe due to dimensional tolerancing.

Graham L
19-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Are you starting from a minumum configuration, with just the mottherboard and (onboard?) video?. The power supply might not be starting because it hasn't got any load on the 12V supply. Try plugging a floppy or HD onto a power connector.

Spacemannz
19-10-2003, 08:50 PM
Does the mobo take a 4 pin plug, as well as the 20 pin connection?

If the 4 pin plug, isnt connected if u need it, it wont boot (the juice for the CPU), and is the CPU fan connected to the right connection on the mobo?.

I would say something from the front of the case (the connections) are connected to the wrong connections on the mobo itself. Or the reset/power might be stuck or faulty. It could even be the power supply. If you're sure everything else is connected properly. You could try another power supply, if you have a spare one handy.

chiefnz
20-10-2003, 03:42 PM
OK guys this is embarrassing but I guess I'll have to front and admit my dreadful mistake.

Well there were 2 things wrong....

1) The CPU was not set properly in the socket... actually I even managed to bend a few pins... which was really fun cos it only took me 3 hours to get them all straight again. once I had that done it went into POST fine but see "2" for the other problem

2) The MB was going into post but when I connected the wire for the PC speaker it wouldn't go into POST as the wire had a short in it.

Anyways I am grateful for your help but sadly I must now return to the basement where I will shoot myself for making such a silly but obviously avoidable mistake..... :( ;)

cheers chiefnz

Susan B
20-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself, we all make mistakes sometime or other. ;-)

Thanks for letting us know what the cause was as it all adds to our knowledge and could help someone else trying to diagnose a similar problem in future. :-)