PDA

View Full Version : Using digital camera as a webcam

Smooth Criminal
17-10-2003, 06:33 PM
I have a Fujifilm Finepix 2800 Zoom digital camera with a USB connection. I would like to use that as a webcam. Does anyone know of a software that can help me do this. The camera is capable of capturing video and audio.

Can anybody help

Thanks

Criminal

Blue Druid
17-10-2003, 07:01 PM
Okay, I'll buy into this thread too. I have a Fuji Finepix 602Z which I want to use for the same purpose. I have found nothing in the literature that even suggests that it is possible but reason tells me it must be.

Bazza
17-10-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi Smooth & Blue, Have you checked the manual for those cameras? I have used both. Cant remember if the 2800 will do webcam, but the 602z will.

It's all described in the manual, how to set it up for that purpose.

Having said that, it is not a good idea. The resolution of the 602z is really an overkill for webcam purposes, and you will need an AC power supply to keep the camera powered for webcam sessions.

Suitable webcams are reasonably priced these days, that would be adequate & more practical for that use.

Blue Druid
17-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bazza. I will re-read the manual :8)

I don't want it to be used that way permanently but yes, I agree that a power adaptor would be a good idea (about $80 from memory).

Just learning how to use this communications tool a little more fully and learning is an uphill struggle at times :D

godfather
17-10-2003, 07:58 PM
I have a 602Z, and it comes with the software. (Picture Hello)
Never used it, but looked at it.

The same software is supplied I understand with the MX2800?

Blue Druid
17-10-2003, 08:18 PM
I have reviewed the software disk that came with the camera but found no reference to 'Photo Hello.' It may be that this is a more recent addition to the software (mine was bought in Dec 2002) Still trying to locate the manual :8}

Bazza
17-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Fine Blue.. I would not bother.. An overkill as I said..Thing is, do you want to use an expensive digi camera for considerable time as webcam?

And yes, the AC power supply will cost about $80. For some more $ you can get a webcam that will be adequte, and more suited for that purpose.

I recall PC World have reviewed webcams. Worth checking out.

Blue Druid
17-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Thanks again, Bazza. I had thought to use the 602 because of the infrequency and short duration of usage. However, as you point out, the real cost is likely to be minimally different. I do still have the PCW article so I guess that will be my bedside reading!

Smooth Criminal
17-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I bought a power adapter for my Fujifilm Camera for $34.95 from DickSmith. It's digitor brand and does the job perfectly

wuppo
18-10-2003, 08:34 AM
If you go into the "setup" menu on the 2800 and select USB, can you toggle between "DSC" (download mode) and "PC Cam"? If you are using XP, your camera should be recognised. :|

utopia
19-10-2003, 02:50 PM
> If you go into the "setup" menu on the 2800 and
> select USB, can you toggle between "DSC" (download
> mode) and "PC Cam"? If you are using XP, your camera
> should be recognised. :|

Can this be done with other digital cameras?
I have a Sony digital camera and I wonder if it is possible to do the same with it.