PDA

View Full Version : Major outlook express help required...

00falcon
16-10-2003, 05:50 PM
oh god i dont know where to start...

at the begining i guess...

Outlook express wont send emails...
It recives them fine...

So i restarted my copm. as you do... still nothing...
So i rang my isp... they told me to telnet to there smtp server... which went fine... so that side of things is all good...
Then they told me to remove all my address conection...
and make them from scratch... only made on... still nothing...
Then we went in to Outlook... setup a address connection... Outlook was able to send mail... so the "sendmail" on my comp is fine...

So we have narrowed the problem down to Outlook express...

So the guy told be to remove Outlook express restrat and reinstall...

I did... no luck...
it didnt ask for the windows disk... which i thought it would...
So i assume it reinstalled the corrupt Outlook express...

The only next step i can think of is to reinstall IE6 and outlook express from a disk that you get with a mag...

Any ideas would be much aprechated as i have no idea and i use my E-mail quite a bit every day...

HELP...

godfather
16-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Download and install Eudora
(you can run it free in lite or sponsored mode).

Say "goodbye" to OE and its foibles.

I did years ago. Could never go back.

Peter H
16-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Open Outlook express - go tools - accounts - Mail - properties - servers - outgoing mail - make sure that it says, smtp.clear.net.nz or whoever your ISP is.
Bye

00falcon
16-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi peter...

ummm... The first thing i did was cheak my SMTP servers... all fine...
Besides... i had had it working fine on paradise for about 6 weeks so i would assume that wouldnt change... but i cheaked it...

Then when i deleted my connection address and remade one of them i double cheaked the SMTP server address... all correct...

Thomas
16-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Jim is having his white charger reshod,when it is done be prepared to be rescued OOf.;)

Rod ger
16-10-2003, 07:47 PM
I known its NOT an answer to Your problem(in a way). But look at it this way, do you want a vveerrryy bbuuggyy email program or one that works! Outlook is All things to all emailers, so comprehensive it is out of control, the target of 99% of worm authors, and the sucess of 99% of worm authors. If MS email systems we'rn't around there would be a heap LESS nasties spreading around(until the next victim turned up). Sure you can lock it down, but its a target, and is a disaster to no brainers.
Try something else,anything, I suggest Thunderbird.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-10-2003, 08:57 PM
I assume the mail account you are using is the same as the ISP you are dialling into (i.e. Paradise e-mail details on a Paradise dial-up) as you won't be able to access most SMTP servers from another ISP's connection.

What ISP are you with?

Do you have a firewall? Have you checked or changed it's settings?

Jim B
16-10-2003, 09:15 PM
What happens when you try to send a message, does it stay in your Outbox and do you get any error message. What actually happens when you click on Send

Are you sure you are still connected with your modem, if OE is set to receive messages automatically and Hang up after send/receive is ticked in Tools/Options/Connections then you will need to dialin again to send the message.

In OE Tools/Accounts/Properties/Connections
Tick the box Always connect to this account using and select your ISP connection in the box underneath

The other thing it could be is your anti-virus set to scan outgoing mail and this is failing. Disable this for evaluation.

Fire-and-Ice
16-10-2003, 09:49 PM
Have you recently installed a firewall? If so that could be preventing outgoing emails.

Fire-and-Ice
16-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Argh! Didn't see Whiskey's reference to a firewall. Ignore my previous post.

Jim B
16-10-2003, 09:54 PM
It may also be a corrupted mail folder and you can confirm this by going to File/Identities and setting up your mail account in a new identity.

Try sending from this and if it works you can go back to your main Identity, close OE and create a new Outbox by going to Find/Files or folders and searching for outbox.dbx
When you find it delete it and OE will create a new one when you restart it.

It could also be a corrupted Sent Items folder and you can do the same by searching for sentitems.dbx and deleting it. Note as this creates a completely new sent items folder any messages in it will be lost.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Don't forget outbox.dbx - a corrupted Outbox would also cause a similar problem.

;)

Ashka
16-10-2003, 10:01 PM
I was having the same problem a couple of weeks ago with my Clear net account. Their help desk suggested deleting absolutely everything relating to Clear Net then reset from scratch. Couldn't find anything that was reset differently but I can now send & receive e mail without a problem. No answer as to why or how but wish you luck. (XP Home + SP1 & all updates)

Jim B
16-10-2003, 10:05 PM
Try to keep up WTF

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Dr Jim.... always one step ahead ;)

Seems my sleep-deprived shift patterns have left me reading-impaired.

00falcon
16-10-2003, 11:06 PM
I was cheaking my "domain" and "ihug" and "paradise" on my dial up connection with paradise...

It was about 6 weeks ago when i changed to paradise that i foud out ISP's dont like Third Party conections... but i gess Ihug and Paradise must except conection from outside there specified IP range or there IP ranges are within eachother...

00falcon
16-10-2003, 11:18 PM
>>>The other thing it could be is your anti-virus set to scan outgoing mail and this is failing. Disable this for evaluation.<<<

I disabled this first thing... as my ammount of the message that was scan was not moving... norton...

>>>Tick the box Always connect to this account using and select your ISP connection in the box underneath<<<

I was able to send and recive all addresses with my Paradise dial-up connection... then i uncheaked all my accounts so only my Paradise would send and recive when i hit "go"... still the same problem...

>>>Are you sure you are still connected with your modem, if OE is set to receive messages automatically and Hang up after send/receive is ticked in Tools/Options/Connections then you will need to dialin again to send the message.<<<

Ummm yes... my leval of expertise (or not as the case my seem) is ... i am 1/3 of the way thru my A+ course...

>>>What happens when you try to send a message, does it stay in your Outbox and do you get any error message. What actually happens when you click on Send<<<

yes it trys to send... Status bar message... "sending"... my time out values are set at one minute which i belive is more than enough...
after 1 minute i get this error mesage saying...
" your smtp server has faild to respond in 60 seconds would you like to wait another 60 seconds or cancel"

Followed by my account and the smtp that failed...
Phoned paradise and everthing was fine on there end and tryed a telnet seshion which returned the right results nice a quickly...

Im not computer illiterate but this one has me stupped...

Thanks
Chris

00falcon
16-10-2003, 11:20 PM
Black ice is my firewall... its been working beautifuly for ages... but i also turned it off and tryed...

No luck...

00falcon
16-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Creating a new identity is something i have not tryed yet... next port of call...

I backed up all files residing at
C:\Documents and Settings\Easy-Peasy-Pages\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{457E0FD5-7CF9-47D8-A148-E83496467ABB}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Which are all my inbox and outbox and all other folders...