PDA

View Full Version : Speed Question

stu140103
16-10-2003, 03:30 PM
Hello every one

I just have a question

How can you get the full Jetstream speed throw the Jetstream Games FTP servers (after you login as user@jetstreamgames.co.nz) when you are on Jet Start (Jetstream Starters) connection, which is capped at 128 kbps (or 20 KB/s).

And 20KB/s is the max speed which you can get from it so you only be able to do 20KB/s off their serverís (after you login)

And also how can you get the full Jetstream speed throw the Jetstream Games FTP servers When Xtra / Telecom **is/might** be limiting the speed on FTP????

-=JM=-
16-10-2003, 03:47 PM
When you login with the JetStream games login you'll probably find that everything goes through a whole different set of equipment which prevents you the access to external sites and gives you the faster speeds.

Jim B
16-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Stu, do me a favour and get a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word 'throw' which you use a lot in your posts.

Now don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to help, if you don't get it sorted out now you will be doing it for the rest of your life.

stu140103
16-10-2003, 03:59 PM
> Now don't take this the wrong way, I am trying to
> help, if you don't get it sorted out now you will be
> doing it for the rest of your life.

Sorry :8}:8} I was in a rush :8}

Jen C
16-10-2003, 04:10 PM
>How can you get the full Jetstream speed throw the Jetstream Games FTP servers (after you login as user@jetstreamgames.co.nz) when you are on Jet Start (Jetstream Starters) connection, which is capped at 128 kbps (or 20 KB/s).

I have logged onto the jetstreamgames with Jetstart and I get downloads well over 300 kps. If I recall correctly, I download a Gentoo ISO which was 520 MB in size recently and it took me little over 35 minutes.

You are however, only limited to surfing the jetstreamgames servers with the uncapped speed.

Poppa John
16-10-2003, 06:57 PM
If that very high speed is available for games, why is it not available for everything??? It is obviously possible. PJ

cyberchuck
16-10-2003, 07:05 PM
> If that very high speed is available for games, why
> is it not available for everything??? It is obviously
> possible. PJ

It is possible, however one assumes that Telecom keeps the faster services to those businesses that pay more for ISDN and Frame Relay connections, and they wouldn't want to jeopardize the services that those connections offer... (Just imagine a Linux distro on Frame Relay :D)..

Towards the bottom of this thread on JSG (http://forums.jetstreamgames.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35834) it's slightly discussed in more depth...