PDA

View Full Version : Network Card...What is it...

csinclair83
15-10-2003, 03:49 PM
As I have a network card on my system..what is it specifically..

i know it can be used to transfer files from one sys to another or reverse...
but what else can it do?

is it a internet modem at all? or can it be used to access internet..if yes is it adsl or 56k?...

what else can a network card be used for?

Chilling_Silently
15-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Playing games is a biggy, Streaming media, sharing the internet...

That's just the three main ones, Im sure there's more!

ilikelinux
15-10-2003, 03:57 PM
>Playing games is a biggy, Streaming media, sharing the internet...
Well in general, networking!
And also sharing drives across the network, sharing printers.............................

csinclair83
15-10-2003, 03:58 PM
specifically..

If i Share the internet is there a rule...like..if the internet is a jetstream..would i need a jetstream modem as well? or does it not matter?

streaming media? explain?

playing games..i should have known lol...

and the security...if i use a network card for sharing internet...is there any security matters i should know about?

Graham L
15-10-2003, 04:01 PM
It isn't an Internet (or internet) modem. It's (these days) an Ethernet network interface connection board. It isn't Vanything, it isn't adsl, it isn't IDSN.

It will connect your computer to a network which uses TCP/IP or IPX/SPX or one of the Microsoft NetBlah protocols. It can't (for electrical as well as software reasons) with a Token Ring or ARC network.

It can connect to the Internet if it is on a local internet which has a machine (gateway) connected to the Internet. :D

ilikelinux
15-10-2003, 04:02 PM
>If i Share the internet is there a rule...like..if the internet is a jetstream..would i need a jetstream modem as well? or does it not matter.
Well you need a router or another computer that is sharing the internet to connect with out an adsl modem connected to the computer, you can't access the internet with out any wires to the out side world can you?
>and the security...if i use a network card for sharing internet...is there any security matters i should know about?
Zone alarm for fire wall and a good proxie would be it, and a hub.

csinclair83
15-10-2003, 04:07 PM
so if there was a computer with adsl on it..and it also has a network card..we can hook up and i get to use the adsl internet as well without needing a specific modem?

would nortons internet security work?

what are games like on networking...and the speed? what determines that?

stu140103
15-10-2003, 04:32 PM
> so if there was a computer with adsl on it..and it
> also has a network card..we can hook up and i get to
> use the adsl internet as well without needing a
> specific modem?

Yep

> would nortons internet security work?

If you mean a firewall, then yep, that would be fine or any other firewall e.g. Zone Alarm etc....

Also just have the firewall on the gateway to the Internet (the one which has the modem in it) that should do. (Some people say to have a firewall on every computer which has access to the network, but if it is a home network then one (1) firewall on the gateway computer should be fine, & that is if you are using ICS (Internet connection sharing)

> what are games like on networking...

depends on the game & the net work speed, but it is pretty good :)

>and the speed?
> what determines that?

The network card & cable determines the network speed (I think)

Hope this helps