PDA

View Full Version : Uninstalling Linux Redhat

maximise
15-10-2003, 01:40 PM
I recently installed linux redhat into a separate partition on my hard drive which contained windows 2000. I skipped through it too quickly and did not create a boot floppy. So i decided to wipe the install and start again but my hard drive did not like this at all. I found that I could not boot anything at all from my hard drive. After reformatting and partitioning the hard drive using both driveworks and fdisk it still would not boot and had to go back to the shop to be reset to factory settings. Before i try this again i want to know how to SAFELY uninstall linux and restore the boot settings so as not to fall into the same hole.
Many thanks

Chilling_Silently
15-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Firstly,

Make a boot disk (for Doze) and boot from it.

Type:
fdisk /mbr

This will erase the Linux boot loader

You can then use FDisk or Partition Magic (There's even QTParted on Linux which apparently works from Boot Disks of its own) to remove the Logical Partition, and re-create a FAT32 partition in its place :-)

maximise
15-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Thank you i will try this

Chilling_Silently
15-10-2003, 02:25 PM
What happened is you likely told it to remove All partitions.. It pays to read and re-read what you're doing when it comes to Partitioning, as I myself have lost the ENTIRE contents of my HDD (Luckily I'd backed up a few days earlier).

Just remember to backup anything important you wouldnt wanna lose and you should be peachy :-)

Graham L
15-10-2003, 03:43 PM
MS's FDISK is very good at losing data. :-(

Always make boot floppies. Always test boot floppies before they are needed. :D

mark.p
15-10-2003, 06:01 PM
GNU/Linux's fdisk is even better more choices in partitioning too ;)