PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone got Woosh Wireless yet?

robo
14-10-2003, 08:51 PM
I am wondering if I should try it (not sure if I am in the area).

I use Jetstream but only get 600kbps, and rent the modem for $30 per month, plus being stung $17 for domain holding per month. If I need to buy an ADSL router, maybe I should buy something else.

How have people found the speed?
robo.

Far_Canal
14-10-2003, 08:56 PM
You can only get it in Auckland, but I heard it was superb

Jen C
14-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi Robo

You can check whether you are in the covered area by going here: Woosh Availability (http://www.woosh.com/UserInterface/Woosh/Static/Homepage/Home.aspx).

Last time I checked, my area in Auckland wasn't going to be covered until mid 2005.

stu140103
14-10-2003, 09:04 PM
I think the last time this thread done Woosh (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=39649&message=200008) there was only 1 - 3 PF1 People ( who replied to that thread) using it.

csinclair83
14-10-2003, 09:23 PM
not in rotorua till november 2004...

Jester
14-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Sorry the web site is currently under going system maintenance.

Please check again in a hour.

grrrrr :|

-=JM=-
14-10-2003, 09:48 PM
ummmm, $17 per MONTH for holding a domain? Sounds as if they're ripping you dude.

Chilling_Silently
14-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Xtra's pricing for that are pretty high.. I went to FreeParking for a friend and found they could save hundreds a year.. There may be better deals out there yet!

marke
14-10-2003, 11:18 PM
Robo - you still pay $30 a month for your router!???

If you buy an ADSL router you'll recover your investment in around 8 months!! What are you waiting for? You can get a wireless capable router for under $300 now!! Then you can spend more time answering PressF1 queries from all round your house! ;-)

Mark

robo
15-10-2003, 06:42 AM
I know, I know, but I like the M1122.

I've checked and Woosh comes to Pt Chevalier North (never knew there was a North, like Te Atatatu) end of October - not far away.

I know I am being ripped by the ISP, they took over domain charge from Domainz without permission and went from $70 a year or something to $17 a month (doublilng cost).

Going completely wireless sounds like a plan, Woosh and 802.11b for hard to reach parts of the house. Have ethernet already between house and garage though.

robo.

Chilling_Silently
15-10-2003, 07:29 AM
> I know, I know, but I like the M1122.
>

Sounds like something outa a James Bond movie there robo ;-)

IMHO they just havent been able to get it out to enough places fast enough to get a good group of followers for their service :-(

Still end of Dec 2003 for me :-(

robo
15-10-2003, 07:51 AM
I'm sure it will take a while but I know it is okay in Mt Roskill but not yet Pt Chevalier. Perhaps the bible belt needs wireless more.

Problem is that lots of adverts now will just turn people away later. They need to publicise areas that can get it to attract the right people quickly (IMHO).

robo.

falvrez
15-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the whole Walkerwireless/Woosh thing has been a *very* long time coming.
I'm not in Auckland, I'm in the Far North, but the last thread I looked at on PF1 on just who had Woosh, there weren't many (as mentioned above) that were even able to be connected.

Gut feeling is that if they don't pull finger and get decent coverage soon (in Aucks at least) then they may be in danger of being written off as "it will be ages before they come to my area" situation.
But hey I'd kill for Woosh - on their business rates we could save heaps - instead of $458 a month for 5gigs with Jetstream we would only be paying $199 for Woosh at the same speed.

Just wish I'd stop seeing it mentioned in every publication when it *seems* the coverage is just not there by a large margin.

cyberchuck
15-10-2003, 08:52 AM
> Is it just me or does anyone else feel like the whole
> Walkerwireless/Woosh thing has been a *very* long
> time coming.
> Gut feeling is that if they don't pull finger and get
> decent coverage soon (in Aucks at least) then they
> may be in danger of being written off as "it will be
> ages before they come to my area" situation.

I don't know what they're doing. They already have (had) coverage in Ardmore and Cleveland where WiredCountry is as a friend had it. They have been a long time coming, but what surprised me is the fact that they started advertising well before it was setup throughout the Auckland (which is AFAIK where they're targetting). I would've thought that getting it setup quietly and then opening with a big bang would've been the better option.
In all fairness the longer they wait the less customers they'll get as people don't want to be expensive $300 routers for ADSL and then spend another $400 for Woosh which I think is what Telecom is playing on, and why they aren't as interested in it as they could be.

CyberChuck