PDA

View Full Version : OT: Spruce up/ New look Computerworld / IDG website!

stu140103
14-10-2003, 05:30 PM
It looks like the Computer World & the IDG Website had a spruce up / new look!

Have a look:
http://www.idg.net.nz
&

http://www.computerworld.co.nz

Now I wonder will PC World get a new look/spruce up :D

beetle
14-10-2003, 05:36 PM
this may have something to do with the sponser's they were talking about getting recently.
a robo post wasnt it?

beetle

csinclair83
14-10-2003, 06:03 PM
umm i have to admit i havent been to those 2 websites before....
so whats actually different...

can say they look pretty good, clean tidy and easy to use :)

yeah robo mentioned sponsorship on pressf1 guess its now in action

-=JM=-
14-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Looking quite good I must say. Just a redesign though, still the same stuff.

Chilling_Silently
14-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I guess content is still 'content', but I for one like it..

Resizing of fonts works much better in Firebird :D

Havent used IE in ages so cant comment ;-)

Well done though to the WebDev team, looks great!

Far_Canal
14-10-2003, 11:36 PM
> umm i have to admit i havent been to those 2 websites
> before....
> so whats actually different...
>
> can say they look pretty good, clean tidy and easy to
> use :)
>
> yeah robo mentioned sponsorship on pressf1 guess its
> now in action

The sponsorship was for PRESSF1 - not the other sites LOL. Get it?

Chilling_Silently
14-10-2003, 11:54 PM
Who's to say it was limited to PressF1?

Unless you work for IDG, I'd love to know how you get to see their online advertising schedule...

I think we need a "Block user XYZ" feature.. There's a couple of people that've really struck a nerve... :-(

beetle
15-10-2003, 10:44 AM
so have you been here that long FC ? to know about this post?
the sponsership thread i mean.

?:|

beetle

stu140103
15-10-2003, 11:22 AM
> I think we need a "Block user XYZ" feature.. There's
> a couple of people that've really struck a nerve...
> :-(

I think by what Bruce said this morning I think ^^ XYZ (hint F_C) has been blocked ;) :D

csinclair83
15-10-2003, 11:37 AM
he hasnt been blocked, just been told or ordered to change his username and have a valid email address if the one he put in his profile aint valid (its hidden btw)...

Sorry but hes prob still around with a new username if he listened..

Biggles
15-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Redesign is nothing to do with sponsorship -- just a long overdue redesign.

Yes, I'd love some type of IP ban function but alas don't have it. And since there's only a handful of cases in PressF1's time when I would have used it, it's hard to justify diverting someone do implement it.

ilikelinux
15-10-2003, 05:08 PM
not to mention some ips (most) change when you connect through 56k, so that wouldn't help, ut it would, if you ask the isp's nicely to block them from going on pressf1.

Billy T
16-10-2003, 09:41 AM
>>so have you been here that long FC ? to know about this post?
>>the sponsership thread i mean.

LOL beetle :^O

Did you like the way the alter-egos responded to each other's posts? I saw that FC was outed in his Telecom share price post so he probably would have vanished after that anyway.

Has your computer man turned up yet? You can sure do without the aggravation that you've been having with that machine. I had one that behaved like that for nearly three years and it was only Ghost that kept me sane. (Some would say it didn't :D) That computer was fixed in the end though and is 5 years old still working as I type. I call her "Old faithfull" now because she has never let me down since.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

beetle
16-10-2003, 11:29 AM
:D

ya gotta be a bit blunt now and again dont ya BT but not rude....

yeah well i havent seen any pc man, as he is flat stick with other puter problems...... but have been told by many people to dump it and get a new one as they think it may be a lemon going off..... and you throwing away rotten fruit dont you.... ?:|
so am not sure wot to do.
yes i would love a puter that goes and does not go off in a tangent all by itself, and runs amok at times. but i dont like to lie or be dishonest about things but it does peeve me off enough that i have been tempted to say it fell off desk or something...... purely from the stress releif that valve will let off, for no other reason at all.... cos i still wouldnt have a pc that goes well.....
or at all by then. :D
:p

?:| so what to do is the question.......

beetle

Billy T
16-10-2003, 12:59 PM
>yeah well i havent seen any pc man, as he is flat stick with other puter >problems...... but have been told by many people to dump it and get a >new one as they think it may be a lemon going off.....

Well beetle, unless you have to use it, the best advice I can offer is to leave it alone until your man can deal with it and when he does, ask him to keep it until he is sure it is running OK. If there are programs to be loaded after the repair, give the disks to him and ask him to do it. It will save you time, will not cost much, and makes him responsible for the outcome.

When you get it back, ask him to demonstrate boot times, internet access and anything else you have had problems with. Once satisfied it is going OK, unlock the door and let him escape.

From that point, just use it as-is for two or three weeks until you are sure it is operating stably. Don't touch any settings or download/add new software. Stay out of configuration windows and resist the temptation to fiddle. Then if it doesn't work properly you can call him back again with a clear conscience and ask him to continue the repair.

Once you are happy all is well, you can start playing around again but I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you ask him to save an image of the final configuration for you before he brings it back, or preferably make an image on site once you have accepted the demonstration.

Such an image on a fresh install should fit on a CDR but if not, it needs to be on a separate partition on your HDD and I would dedicate about 5GB for that purpose so that you can store more than one image file.

If you have that image, next time (god forbid) that you have a problem it can all be restored in a flash. :D (Best you get him to make an image for you as you are probably not quite ready for that experience yet.)

There is no good reason why your computer cannot be restored to reliable service so don't give up on it yet. You have a considerable financial and emotional investment there and you don't want to throw that all away, not the financial investment anyway.

Finally, when you are sure it is right and you want to make changes, keep a notebook handy and write down every change or addition you make. I keep mine under my monitor and it is a permanent running history of all changes or additions to my computers. It helps to restore things to what you had if a complete reinstallation is needed again in the future, as you will never remember all the tweaks, preference settings and adjustments you made over several months or years.

Such a history helps when setting up a new computer the way you like it too!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D
[pre][b]Sorry I shouted a bit there beetle, but all computer
users should protect the time and effort invested in
their setup by imaging the working original version.
Why go through all that work twice. ?:|

beetle
16-10-2003, 03:02 PM
:_|

:D just kidding BT, appreciate the concern, and he did add all progs apart from avg, yahoo mess, msn and trillian, i aslo added adaware.

he got it up to net userable, he did my updates and all systems ready to go, and he ran it, tested the system and seemed to find know bugs as such,
so all should have been sweet, but instead it seems to be turning to custard......

i cant pinpoint the problem myself, it shuts windows randomly, shuts progs randomly, and mouse gets stuck it seems lots or then it just has this amazing amout of lag between click and opening something,
at times it seems to be running something or searching for something and not finding it,causing everything else to freeze.
its lost a bit of my recent assignment and i know longer trust it to keep anything safe, (after putting heaps of photos back on it.....and spent hours resorting them...)

im on it lots but have lost the feel good bit about it and its a case of have to do stuff, not want to do stuff anymore.
and i cant have all my school stuff plasted all over the office desk all the time due to customers seeing the mess...... and cant leave anything safely not touched out there either so in between a rock and a hard place......funny that beetle's should like that shouldn't they????
this one doesn't..

will keep plodding along slowly......

beetle