PDA

View Full Version : Why does dial-up appear

anika
14-10-2003, 04:15 PM
Hello to all computer whiz's

PC boots OK. Desktop appears and then, pc automatically ask me if I want to dial/ connect modem? I click no. Then I continue doing whatever, play games, work on office or whatever, and a few moments later the window pops up again freezing whatever I'm doing(very frustrating) and asks if I want to dial/ connect my modem.
On my old computer this window would only appear when I clicked 'connect to extra'.
Is there a way I can disable the dial up window from asking if I want to connect?
Thanks

From a whiz in the making.............well eventually

Peter H
14-10-2003, 04:40 PM
I assume you are using XP - Not that I do, but understand it connects looking for updates. Other programmes do as well. Look in msconfig (or XP equivelent) and see what is loaded at startup.
Bye

anika
14-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Hi
I am using Win98

veterannz
14-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Have you tried opening IE>tools>internet options>connect and click in"never dial a connection"

Peter H
14-10-2003, 07:24 PM
OK Go - Start - run - msconfig, and see what is in your start-up list. There have been a lot of threads on this, so have have a search.
I use the same as you, but in IE I have "always dial my default" ticked, with no problems. Also try Adaware.
Bye