PDA

View Full Version : Vynil to HDD

Percy Porter
14-10-2003, 01:08 PM
At last I have managed to get my turntable plugged in to my computer with a signal coming through so that I can record on to the hard drive and then hopefully burn on to CD's. BUT, now I find I can't get the audio into the system so that I can record it. I have got Windows Media and real Audio installed but neither seems to be able to locate the audio input from the turntable. I know it's just a matter of some settings some were in the audio software but not sure where.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS running Win ME

Bazza
14-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Hi Percy,
Win95/98 & probably ME, have two "mixers" for sound as follows:

Play control - this controls the inputs,& levels of the sound from your pc speakers.(in this you need to "mute" any unwanted inputs, e.g. mic, to avoid feedback when recording)

Record control - this controls the inputs & levels of the sound to record to a recorder program, or transmit using online phone & talk programs.(in this you need to "select" the wanted input, e.g. mic when recording)
Both need to be setup, depending on what you want to do.

Open the 'Volume control' from the system tray. Check out the help there. It will explain how to make the settings for recording, & selecting the required input.

Peter H
14-10-2003, 02:40 PM
It is easier to use a dedicated recording program. Go here.
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net
It's free and good
Bye

Graham L
14-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Find the mixer, then turn down all the inputs except (probably) the "Line" one. It will probably be off by default.

kiwibeat
14-10-2003, 04:53 PM
record player has to go thru a amplifier as well to record onto the HDD properly

Bazza
14-10-2003, 05:20 PM
I dont think the advice for Percy to "Find the mixer & turn down inputs, except line" will enable his recording.

As advised earlier, it is the 'Record control' in the vol control, that determines recording functions. In there the desired input (usually line input) needs to be 'selected' i.e. ticked.

Kiwibeat's comment is correct, if the record player does not have a preamp to provide equalisation. In that case the player should connect to an amplifier phono input, and then the amplifier line output is connected to the PC soundcard line input.

I hope you can get it sorted Percy..

Percy Porter
14-10-2003, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have got the sound to the PC, it is playing through the PC's speakers. Have checked that the input is selected, as one post indicated it was muted and have corrected that. Still find that I am unable to pick up the source from either Win media our Real Player. it only seems to have a cd rom drive as a source for sound input. Am I trying to record through a system that does not support alternative sound sources?

PP

Peter H
14-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Yes. D/L audiograbber.
Bye

Bazza
14-10-2003, 09:01 PM
Percy, you are not listening, understanding. Getting sound from your PC speakers will not help recording. Muting/unmuting there is only for the play control for the PC speakers.

As I said, you need to goto the "Record control" where the inputs are "selected" There is no muting there, just selecting the input to be recorded.

Try again..

paradox
14-10-2003, 10:07 PM
Yes...get Audiograbber...go to "help/content/index/vinyl recording" and you will get a clear explanation.

tbacon_nz
14-10-2003, 10:26 PM
FWIW, here is the setup I have, which works for me.

I have an old Hitachi Amp and Tuner and a Kenwood Turntable (Oh yes, and a PC...)

Line Out from the PC connects to the AUX port on the Amp.
Speakers are connected from the Amp.

That gives me normal PC sound through the speakers.

The Turntable is connected to the PHONO port on the Amp.
The TAPE REC port on the Amp is connected to Line In on the PC.

If I want to hear PC sound I select AUX on the Amp/Tuner.
If I want to listen to Vinyl I select PHONO on the Amp/Tuner and the album plays through the speakers.

If I want to capture the Vinyl, I select PHONO and use Wave Corrector (on the PC World CD a few months ago).

On the Windows XP Recording Control Panel I select Line In and unselect everything else.

Once it is captured, if I want to play it back from the HDD or CD, I select AUX on the Tuner/Amp and use Media Player to play the wav file.

It actually takes longer to write about it than to do it.

HTH

Percy Porter
15-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have downloaded Audiograbber and that has solved dome of my problems, but have another one now with Audiograbber but will make a seperate post on that.

Thanks

PP

Peter H
15-10-2003, 07:26 PM
Good to hear that we are getting there.
Bye