PDA

View Full Version : Basic Networking question

sam m
14-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Hi,
Have been thinking about networking 2 computers both on XP.
I am running alcatel adsl 4 port router with 1 computer. I have 1 network card installed, no problem.
A friend occassionally brings his XP machine and plugs his computer into the back of the router and he is instantly connected, no set required at all to get it running online. He has 1 network card as well.

I have been wondering, if my 1 network card is connected to the router and his network card is connected to the router so we are therefore sharing an Internet Connection then HOW do we network together so that we can share files as well?

I am thinking that I need either another network card so that his connects to mine and then mine connects to the router and then out to cyberspace or is there a network card that has 2 ports.

I have read FAQ about it and also searched online but I want to see (in diagramatic format) how we physically connect 2 computers so we share internet and files.

thanks
sam m

Kame
14-10-2003, 10:10 AM
Your 4 Port Router, is actually a 4 Port Hub/Router.

Usually it's best being in the same IP range,... e.g.(I prefer static IPs) 192.168.1.x (where x is 2-254) with a subnet of 255.255.255.0, you both can have the same workgroup too but you must have different IPs and a different computer name. Apart from that, just enabled file sharing, share something and you are connected.

sam m
14-10-2003, 10:38 AM
Thanks Kame,
So from what you're saying, by him simply plugging in his computer we are sharing Internet Connection as well we potentially have the ability to share files as well? So I dont have to change how the computers are physically set up BUT all I need to do is configure either the computers or router or both so we can see each others files.

When we were connected I had a play with the browser config screen (10.0.0.138). My computer is connected as 10.0.0.1 and I think the other one was 10.0.0.2.

As long as I dont have to buy anymore hardware then next time he is over I might just 'enable file sharing' and that should be it, hopefully.

thanks
sam m

godfather
14-10-2003, 10:46 AM
It sounds like your ADSL Alcatel router is acting as DHCP host. This means as long as the computers that connect are set to "obtain an IP automatically" it will happen correctly. It sounds like its already happening OK (10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2)

You need to set the Workgroup name to be the same as yours in the guests PC.
Then you need to enable sharing, and share some folders.

On my office network (using an ADSL router) it takes about 30 seconds to get a guest sharing the network when they use XP.