PDA

View Full Version : Halo performance problems

wintertide
13-10-2003, 07:22 AM
I just got Halo for PC (full version) off a friend who works at a gaming store and installed it. According to the minimum specs I should be able to play it fine, but it goes slowly when in 800x600 with full details and no anti-aliasing on. I have to drop down to 640x480 with medium details and even then it still occasionally goes slow when in large areas.

PC specs are:
Athlon XP 2000+
Gigabyte GA7VAX1394 m/b
Sound Blaster Live! Digital
GeForce FX 5600 with 128mb RAM (AGP 8x)
512mb RAM
Win XP Home
7200rpm HDD (40GB)

Anyone able to help me out? I hate playing in 640x480 with medium details especially with this supposedly good video card.

Biggles
13-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Have you got the frame-rate option set to vsync - I found this made a big difference for me. I was getting rubbish performance on a P4 2.6, 1GB Ram, GF4 Ti4400 128MB RAM at 1024 x 768, but when I switched this option from the "30fps" setting to "vsync" (or however they word it) it improved a huge amount.

PoWa
13-10-2003, 09:01 AM
Yes I was playing it last night and it was quite sluggish in some parts. I'm only on a 1.1Athlon, 384ram, GF4mx440 though. Its a wonder they got that game to run off a 700Mhz Xbox!

wintertide
13-10-2003, 09:44 AM
Yeah, ok... will try that tonight... apparently it synchronises it with the refresh rate so I don't know whether it will like me using a 100Hz refresh rate at 640x480 - worth a try though :)

Budda
13-10-2003, 09:52 AM
the xbox version is much lower res and shouldnt look anywhere near as good.

Biggles
13-10-2003, 10:11 AM
The visual quality varies quite significantly on the PC. On my work PC, which has a GF4 MX440 card with 64MB RAM it, frankly, looked like total rubbish with the settings it choose for itself. On the home PC with all the settings enabled it looks okay the difference between to two sets of settings was very marked. It was still not brilliant mind you, and I'm a little surprised at a few reviews I've read that go on about how fantastic it looks on the PC. Unless there's a whole level of visual settings I don't know about I'd say it looks okay, but not up to the level of many current FPS games.

wintertide
13-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Just interested... did you guys actually get your versions of Halo like I did (through my friend at the gaming store) or did you download them off the Internet?

Biggles
13-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Mine is a review copy from Microsoft. I do so hope people are not downloading games off the Internet. The BSA has a coporate sponsored section of Hell reserved especially for folks who do this: The Burn and Get Burnt room ....

Chilling_Silently
13-10-2003, 02:13 PM
> the xbox version is much lower res and shouldnt look
> anywhere near as good.

PAL resolution in NZ.. actually... ;-)

Most people run the majority of games at around 1024x768, or almost twice as high res. as PAL is.

The thing is, its no good if the models are a lower res simply being magnified, but I doubt that...!

Budda
13-10-2003, 02:23 PM
sorry to be totally off topic here but who are the BSA??? are they like the RIAA of NZ??

Biggles
13-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Business Software Association - they that do extensive surveys of software priracy levels around the world and offer $5000 if you dob in someone using pirated software .. .

PoWa
13-10-2003, 05:12 PM
You'd have to be a real tosser to dob someone in for software piracy. I don't think anyone here can honestly say they have never had any unpaid software/music/etc on their machines. Even something as simple as trying out your mates game out on your pc is illegal, heck even kazaalite is illegal, and Bruce you did put that on your PC world cd. (ransom time :D)

Besides who has the time to go through the process of dobbing someone in. By the time they get to court and successfully sued them with your extensive testimony, you will have waited 3+ years for your useless $5000. IMO thats just not worth the effort for that horrendous act of backstabbing.

The BSA could probably just raid random houses and catch anyone they liked. The chances of anyone not having any illegal software on their computer is like 1Million to 1. If you have never used illegal software, ever, then by all means report people in - you might gain some sick sense of pleasure out of it. Just remember, 'let he who is without sin, cast the first stone'.

Biggles
14-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey, just saying who the BSA are since the question was asked. The BSA does tend to focus on 2 types of offender when it comes to prosecutiuons - the company/individual knowingly selling pirated software and companies that knowingly use pirated/unlicensed software.

Budda
14-10-2003, 08:42 AM
well anyways back to topic, halo for pc rates either really high or really low depending on what vid car you have. I have been reading reviews from its the best game ever to i dont know how they released this game its looks like its out of the 90's.

Seems Nvidia cards lose out and Ati cards kick ass, who knows why, looks like it might be that way with half-life 2 as well. o well nm cause i get me a nice ati card :)

Chilling_Silently
14-10-2003, 09:03 AM
Seems odd seeing as the XBox-Linux page on sourceforge says the XBox is made up of:

The Xbox is a legacy-free PC by Microsoft:
Intel Celeron 733 MHz CPU
nVidia GeForce 3MX
64 MB of RAM
8/10 GB hard disk
DVD drive
10/100 Ethernet

see xbox-linux.sf.net

So it seems odd that ATi cards rule the roost on PC.

They've handed the GPU chipset side of the XBox2 over to ATi now too...!

Personally, if you want Halo, I reakon its the best excuse in the world to get an XBox!

metla
14-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Seems there hundreds of cases of it running like a dog on ATI gear as well.

Which probally means thousands,and by the level of talk about it,it seems nearly everyone has trouble running it.