PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard Driver

bk T
10-10-2003, 11:39 PM
I've got a machine using an old Gigabyte GA-6VXE+ motherboad and I just visited Gigabyte's website to get some information about this hardware. I found that there is a 'driver' for this Motherboard.

What is this 'driver' for? Do I really need any driver for a motherboard? This computer is running OK without the driver installed.

Can anyone explain?

Cheers

godfather
10-10-2003, 11:48 PM
This is what is clearly posted at that site:

VIA 4in1 4.48 Win9x, WinMe, Win2000, WinXP, WinNT 2.54 MB

Which bit are you unsure of?

Its a driver for the VIA 4 in 1 chipset (version 4.48).
Its for Win 9x, ME,2k,NT,XP
Its 2.54 Mb in size

If you never had a chipset driver, then the computer wouldn't be running OK at all.

There is probably a perfectly adequate one in Windows, or with your PC setup disks thats presently in use. If its going OK, you don't need to update it.

metla
11-10-2003, 12:10 AM
I would hate to disagree but im about to.

If your using a board with the via chipset then update them babies as soon as possible,the windows default ones are lacking by a huge margin.

Especially the agp driver,but lets not forget all the other bells and whistles that the 4-in-1 drivers tend to.

Via(or hyperon as they are now called)have also identified their drivers that perform the best with win98,so if your using that os keep an eye out for that particler set.

Have a look in your device manager before and after installing the drivers,im sure you will then appreciate loading them on.

Personally i would never recomend leaving windows default drivers running anything on the system if there is a product specific driver available.

bk T
11-10-2003, 10:04 PM
>
> Have a look in your device manager before and after
> installing the drivers,im sure you will then
> appreciate loading them on.
>
>
melta, which item in particular should I look at? There are so many items there.

Thanks.

robsonde
11-10-2003, 10:19 PM
many devices will be set to some kind of default driver at the moment (IDE , AGP)

installing the right drivers will make you system run a bit faster and might make it run lots faster.

Rod ger
11-10-2003, 10:51 PM
MB drivers have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I have the general idea, that they get the board working with the operating system and periphals(I think). But how can you tell what you have installed already. And how do you upgrade what you have. Do you uninstall the present driver or just upgrade over the top of what you have?
Can you upgrade without reinstalling your OS? Where can you check up on you MB driver , is it in device manager or where? Any informed info welcome.

Pheonix
11-10-2003, 11:08 PM
Via have made the controlling integrated circuits (chips) on the motherboard. They have written software that will interface between the Chips and the windows software.
You just download the latest for your flavour of windows. Turn off your ant-virus and double click on file. It will install over top and at the end ask for a re-start. After this it will show "finding new hardware" and then all will be normal.
Direct from VIA is just as /same as that provided by motherboard manufacturer. Just go here (http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300) but read the info first.

Rod J
11-10-2003, 11:28 PM
> Do you uninstall the present driver
NO

> or just upgrade over the top of what you have?
YES

> Can you upgrade without reinstalling your OS?
Yes, I haven't had to reinstall Windows because of upgrading the MB drivers. In fact the drivers (on my system anyway) have to be run after Windows is installed.

> Where can you check up on you MB driver , is it in device
> manager or where? Any informed info welcome.
Not sure about where you can see this info, but in my case (Via Jetway motherboard) the info that comes with the drivers is very informative and so long as you follow what it says to do it's really a piece of cake to upgrade.

The motherboard drivers interface with the hardware chips on the motherboard at a very low level. I discovered the need for them after reinstalling Windows a while back. I omitted to install the drivers after Windows was running. I kept having odd lockups and video glitches, especially in connection with Acrobat Reader and Internet Explorer. After much gnashing of teeth and hair pulling I thought "I wonder what these drivers on this disk do?" Duh! Needless to say I had no trouble after running the driver installation :8}

metla
12-10-2003, 12:08 AM
> >
> melta, which item in particular should I look at?
> There are so many items there.
>
> Thanks.

If you click on the System devices tab after installing your mobo drivers you should find where before there were 4 or so vaguely named entries there will mow be 12 or so specificly named entires.

The usb tab also gets a good update.

And various other entries around the device manager get updated.

bk T
12-10-2003, 12:08 AM
>..... After this it will show "finding new
> hardware" and then all will be normal.
>

I just installed the driver and restarted the pc but it did not find any new hardware. No apparent improvement in performance is noticed, so far.

PressF1 is slooooow in loading, tonight.

Cheers

Pheonix
12-10-2003, 12:33 AM
Then you probably had 4 in 1 drivers already and not the windows defaults if you didn't get the hardware advise.
Should be fine, it is not just performance, but correct functioning as well that the achieve. You can carry on now happy all is well in that department. :D

Rod ger
12-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys.

goes off looking in ancient internet archieves for updated driver.