PDA

View Full Version : OT - RWC

fergie
10-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Only a few hours now till the kick off of the Rugby World Cup!
What are your thoughts on whos' going to win, etc.

Do you think NZ will pull thro?

Heres my piks:

France vs England Semi - with England wiining by 2pts
NZ vs Aus Semi - with us winning by 5pts ( i hope :p)

And don't ask me about who will win the final...

Wot do you guys think?

hagrid
10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
World Cup?

What is that?

Is that played with a round ball, where they only kick it or is it the one with the oval ball where they are allowed to hold it?

metla
10-10-2003, 01:33 PM
hmmmm...

final-france Vs NZ,

France winning by 16

...................................HA (god i hope not)

Chris Randal
10-10-2003, 02:00 PM
I can only hope that NZ are out tomorrow night so that all the hype will go away.

One thing I will say about the IRB and all those involved in the game in whatever way:

It is only a game - it is not important - get rid of that exaggerated idea of your own importance

metla
10-10-2003, 02:14 PM
> I can only hope that NZ are out tomorrow night so
> that all the hype will go away.
>
> One thing I will say about the IRB and all those
> involved in the game in whatever way:
>
> It is only a game - it is not important - get rid
> of that exaggerated idea of your own importance

You hope we fail?....simply because you don't 'feel' the buzz?

I pity you.

fergie
10-10-2003, 02:21 PM
>I can only hope that NZ are out tomorrow night so that all the hype will >go away.

>One thing I will say about the IRB and all those involved in the game in >whatever way:

>It is only a game - it is not important - get rid of that exaggerated idea >of your own importance

Dude, how dear you say that :_|
Rugby is part of New Zealand - its part of our culture and tradition.

It is only a sport - so, i mean we shouldn't all go kill ourselves if we don't win - but its entertainment - just like movies, and Tv porgrams - just like Computer games. Its something that can take our minds off our personal lives and worries - and all come togther as one.

I have never seen NZ win a world cup - i just turned sixteen - I was born in '87 - the first (and last :_|) time we won it. I can only remeber SA and Aussie winning it.

So you AB's - don't listen to wot Chris has said (no offence) and you got out there and bring us home the Cup!!

Chris Randal
10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
Not half as much as I pity people who think that rugby is important....

metla
10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
> Not half as much as I pity people who think that
> rugby is important....

No one is saying you should consider rugby importent,You simply feel the need to knock something that apeals to others but not yourself.And yes Rugby is part of our culture,something some of us feel great pride in,after all,They are flying our flag and they are at the world cup.

So,Your not included you hope we fail,and you pity those who enjoy the game?

lol.

Go the All Blacks,Do us proud!!!

fergie
10-10-2003, 02:49 PM
its all about values (c Everyone Loves raymond last night?)

So stop all this and sit back and enjoy the comp!

Winston001
10-10-2003, 03:02 PM
Everyone Loves raymond last
> night?

What is this - some sort of Gayfest?

Chris Randal
10-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Well that stirred the pot a little..... ;\ ]:)

fergie
10-10-2003, 03:19 PM
?????

Actually, I was studying for my exams i had today - and the TV was on ( i just blok it out) and that show came on - and i ended up watching it - it was actually quite funny.

csinclair83
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
nz v argies final

my true aim is australia not to go further than pool play, but they probably will....

btw 2nite argies will beat aussies by 10+

agent
10-10-2003, 04:21 PM
My honest opinion is that this thread should not have been created.

As many people know from the Springbok tour of NZ in the early 80s, people can take rugby to extreme levels.

As has already been shown in this thread, it has created a little bit of a conflict.

I don't give a flying toss what happens to the Rugby World Cup (and I'll admit that when I saw RWC in the thread listing, I thought Real World Computing), but I hope those who do care what happens to it acknowledge that there is far more that needs to be paid attention to than the Rugby World Cup.

I pity the people in those countries where large populations are so incredibly poor that people are dying from malnourishment and disease every day.

I pity those people who are involved in war and conflict every day.

I pity those who need attention but are not given it.

I do not have any feelings for those who may take a simple game to high levels and ignore everything wrong in this world.

fergie
10-10-2003, 04:32 PM
My fault then :(

agent
10-10-2003, 04:40 PM
No, not at all.

I'm not voicing out against rugby fans in general, just those that get... spurred, shall we say, and get carried away with the atmosphere.

Billy T
10-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Never mind fergie :_|

I've poured some petrol on the flames with WFTWE to take people's attention away from this thread.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Murray P
10-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Oh dear. Sad.

Most of the world and especially those not able to match our relatively privileged existences, don't give a toss about the RWC, if they know it exists at all.

Sorry to those that don't like rugby, sport or entertainment or any pursuits that might offend the sensibilities of the deprived and dying masses. I implore you to turn off the TV, radio/stereo, fridge, computer, etc, and avoid the bottle store/pub, shows, take-aways, the internet and all the other nice goodies that are unnecessary for survival. Least you be called a hypocrite.

For 6 weeks every 4 years the RWC rolls up to our screens if, we want to tune it in (every 2o years or so fans might get to see it in person on their home grounds). Unfortunately for the naysayers, I along with a whole bunch of others NZ'ers love my sport (Rugby in particular) and even the odd sup of some amber liquid doesn't go amiss from time to time, but I digress, get over it and don't try and inject unrelated issues.

I don't care who else is in the final with the AB's and I'll be s****y if they don't win but, then I'll have to get over it along with a mass of fellow extremist NZ'ers.

Bring it on.

Cheers Murray P

agent
10-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Oh yes, definitely, I can be classed as a hypocrite.

But if those in third world countries do not care about the Rugby World Cup, do those who care about the Rugby World Cup care about those in third world countries?

One might know that sports does not have much to do with third world countries, but that does not in any way mean you should ignore people who are less privileged than yourself.

I can only say, that in this new age, there are not many who can honestly say they are not self-centered and selfish.

Look at how much surplus food the Westernised world produces each year, and look at how many people die in third world countries from malnourishment. It is both shocking and outrageous.

Murray P
10-10-2003, 05:38 PM
> But if those in third world countries do not care
> about the Rugby World Cup, do those who care about
> the Rugby World Cup care about those in third world
> countries?

I can't speak for anyone else but, just because I enjoy sports, computers and a beer or two does not make me unsympathetic to the plight of others. You lumped a bunch of people together and then tarred them, that's what I objected to, pricked concience, perhaps. There are degrees and characturistics to consider, eg, I care for my wife and my children but in different ways. That does not mean I put one above the other.

> One might know that sports does not have much to do
> with third world countries, but that does not in any
> way mean you should ignore people who are less
> privileged than yourself.

See above.

> I can only say, that in this new age, there are not
> many who can honestly say they are not self-centered
> and selfish.

True.

> Look at how much surplus food the Westernised world
> produces each year, and look at how many people die
> in third world countries from malnourishment. It is
> both shocking and outrageous.

Agreed. But you won't fix it by suggesting to the haves that they starve (relative) on behalf of the have nots or beat them with a stick over it.
It has to be more subtle than that, what I can't tell you except that, people keep contributing and helping.

Cheers Murray P

beetle
10-10-2003, 06:17 PM
LOL guys get a life...... who care's about guys throwing there balls about on a field in front of thousands of loud australians...... :p

and yeah i miss read the post thread to thought it said WRC (world rally champs ) so was i disapointed....

i probably wont watch any games but dont who wins as long as it not Aus over us, that would be worse than any other country beating us....

sigh.... pathetic but anyway thats life.

and when does it start?
thats always too soon especially if we do bad...

but i would love to see Argentina beat Australia... :p

beetle

hazza
10-10-2003, 06:33 PM
lets just hope the underdogs do some real big upsets

hzz

metla
10-10-2003, 08:41 PM
> My honest opinion is that this thread should not have
> been created.
>
> As many people know from the Springbok tour of NZ in
> the early 80s, people can take rugby to extreme
> levels.
>

Well,Frankly i found nearly everything you said highy offensive and ignorent,The trouble suronding the Spinkbok tour had nothing to do with the game of rugby,or the players,or the rugby fans-It was anti-apartied protestors doing all the protesting.And while i complety agree with them and their cause(love seeing the people sticking it to the govenment) their actions have no bearing on the game of rugby in any sence.

And to say we shouldn't be able to enjoy our pastimes as we see fit due to the fact that certain countries have got it wrong is the height of arrogence.

You say its wrong to enjoy rugby,but do you apply the same set of standards to yourself?...when you sell all your non-essential items(including your computer) and dedicate your life to helping out 3rd world countries then maybe you can have the weight of actions behind your words.

All though at some stage soon after you would see your folly.

agent
10-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Uhuh. I can understand your opinions, but...

Yes, the anti-apartheid protestors were the only people doing the protesting. However, when they did peaceful protesting at rugby games (a long story cut short), the extremist rugby fans got carried away and started beating them. Much fighting and angst ensued between the two groups, and the police even started beating the protestors.

Then there were the rugby players themselves... they saw no problem playing against a team of racist players. The government deplored South Africa, and if my memory serves well, then all countries who were members of the UN cut trading with South Africa. The New Zealand rugby team was the only team that continued to play with the South African team, and what could be interpreted from that? Perhaps that our rugby players back then did not care about racism.

I did not say that you should not enjoy something that has been part of New Zealand's history pretty much since Europeans settled here.

I don't say that it's wrong to enjoy rugby, but if someone happens to be so ignorant that they get caught up in something so simple as a tournament and forget about the less privileged, well, those people aren't very nice in my opinion.

What some people might not think about is the millions of dollars going into the Rugby World Cup. This money is used for the enjoyment of fans of rugby, while hundreds of people in third world countries are dying every day. It's horrible and disgusting to think that people can be that ignorant.

And while it's unlikely that I will ever give up all I have to help those people in third world countries, at least I can claim that I consider the people in those countries and realise just how uneven and corrupt the world is.

Winston001
11-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Yes yes all very well..... but I am still worried about everybody loving some chap by the name of Raymond!
Is he an obscure pick by John Mitchel??
Does Beetle know Raymond and what are her feelings?

Winston001