PDA

View Full Version : Mad Mouse



willbry
10-10-2003, 08:57 AM
When working with the mouse, sometimes out of the blue the pointer suddenly goes crazy.. It flits all over the screen and won't settle anywhere. As well multiple half screens of various programmes pop up uninvited and and just as quickly disappear all out of control. The desktop is mayhem. Of course the mouse pointer will not settle to allow normal close down leaving reboot the only option to get back to normal. I have accessed mouse from Control Panel to slow the pointer movement down but it doesn't help. I've also looked at mouse in Device Manager and no problems there so does anone know why this occasionally happens and is there a cure? OS W98SE . Thanks

Laura
10-10-2003, 09:02 AM
A word with Walt Disney perhaps?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist that)

Pheonix
10-10-2003, 09:10 AM
Most times it is the mouse itself that is at fault. You could try to dismantle mouse and clean inside of any dust and fibres.
But usually it is far less of a hassle to just buy a replacement.

kiwibeat
10-10-2003, 09:38 AM
I use a genius optical mouse best thing I have ever used light and easy to use no problems encountered , may pay to reinstall mouse driver run spybot or fix-it adaware etc

willbry
10-10-2003, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys. I'll try a spring clean on it first. As for you Laura - I must say I asked for that. Even if it didn't solve the problem, I had a good laugh.
Willbry

Graham L
10-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Crud in the mouse usually makes the cursor move jerkily ... which may not be your exact problem, but cleaning it never hurts. :D

You shouldn't need to totally dismantle the mouse ... just undo the annular ring around the ball, and use gravity to remove the ball. There are (usually) a couple of rollers and one sprung wheel. The rollers will appear to have a "tyre" in the middle. It's a collection of crud, and has to be removed. (The end of the blade of a "break-off knife, not the cutting edge, used sideways works well for me.) Pop the ball bacjk in, and replace the ring.

Peter H
10-10-2003, 03:07 PM
There is a "joke" program that does this. Anyone else been using your computer?
Bye

willbry
10-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Appreciate your help Graham but sadly accessed your message too late. I did exactly what I shouldn't have done- took the mouse apart [ didn't realise you could clean it from the ring] and after cleaning had a terrible job trying to reasemble it properly and in so doing - yes broke a part of the innards. Well I certainly have a clean mouse now , a NEW one not by choice. At least others reading this will realise there is a safe way to clean out the gunk. Thanks again.

Peter H
10-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Did the new one fix the problem?
Bye

willbry
10-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Yes it did Peter - at a price.
:-)
willbry

Pheonix
10-10-2003, 09:03 PM
You would have had a 99% chance of having to replace it anyway. Usually the cable goes intermittent, which causes the problem. The other 1% may be a hair or fluff interfering with the slotted wheels you would have seen.
The buildup of "stuff" on those rods that the ball rolls on, causes the pointer NOT to move as the ball doesn't grip properly.
A clean was only an outside chance, so don't feel bad.

agent
10-10-2003, 09:19 PM
The Microsoft optical mouse I use (nothing special, just a standard wheel mouse) always seems to start playing up when I take it to foreign territory (ie, someone elses house for a LAN), but always works fine at home.

I figured it might be the surface I use it on, so in future I must take mouse pads... whatever happened to the thing that optical mice worked on most surfaces, I mean come on, they work on CRT monitors, but not glass, and not a shiny wooden table top!

willbry
11-10-2003, 08:03 AM
That makes me feel good Phoenix. Actually the new one clicks much more smoothly and I was surprised at how reasonable the replacement price was. So as you say, an upgrade was on the cards anyway. I'v picked up a lot of useful info from these threads. thanks everyone.
willbry